Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System

Align 3G FBL System Align 3G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Align 3gx 2.0 set up issues

I have had a problem updating my 3gx to version 2.0 on my 450 pro. I completely reset everything following the firmware update. My first attempt of flight ended in disaster, spooled up and the helicopter shot off about twenty feet in the air and nearly landed on my garage roof. Damage minimal, new landing skids required. I rechecked everything and rewrote the default setting to the 3gx. Spooled up and exactly the same thing happened? Shot off into the air, new skids required again. I got the impression from the second crash that a lot of pitch was applied thus causing lift at 70 throttle? I checked the pitch range in dir mode and 12 degrees was showing on my gauge, top and bottom. I decided to check not in dir mode. I had 20 degrees of pitch showing on the top and some other huge figure on the bottom. I can not understand how this has happened, can anyone tell me? Reverted to 1.2 this morning before the rain, no problems! I have twelve degrees of pitch in dir and none dir?????
bigun37 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 05:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun37 View Post
I have had a problem updating my 3gx to version 2.0 on my 450 pro. I completely reset everything following the firmware update. My first attempt of flight ended in disaster, spooled up and the helicopter shot off about twenty feet in the air and nearly landed on my garage roof. Damage minimal, new landing skids required. I rechecked everything and rewrote the default setting to the 3gx. Spooled up and exactly the same thing happened? Shot off into the air, new skids required again. I got the impression from the second crash that a lot of pitch was applied thus causing lift at 70 throttle? I checked the pitch range in dir mode and 12 degrees was showing on my gauge, top and bottom. I decided to check not in dir mode. I had 20 degrees of pitch showing on the top and some other huge figure on the bottom. I can not understand how this has happened, can anyone tell me? Reverted to 1.2 this morning before the rain, no problems! I have twelve degrees of pitch in dir and none dir?????
Why not to try and follow the Align's instructions for DIR setup with 8 deg cyclic pitch while in DIR?
This gives you about 12 deg pitch outside of DIR.
vojta is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi and thanks for the reply. I was not referring to cyclic pitch but I understand what you are stating. I have 9 degrees cyclic pitch now on 1.2 but I still have the same pitch range of 12 degrees both top and bottom. I was wondering in 2.1 if the was settings in the software to limit the swash range? My swash set up and linkages have not changed only difference is 9 degrees of cyclic pitch plus firmware 1.2. My thoughts are a: the 2.1 firmware I have is corrupt or b there is a setting I am unaware of that controls swash range?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?uc3ir3
Old 07-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

2.x needs 8 degrees of cyclic in your swash mix... it does a whole bunch of calculations off that value. I've not tried setting it up with a 'wrong' value. But... to be honest, I wouldn't expect 1* out to be totally screwy... after all, there's always going to be a slight difference depending on your gauge and process. Personally, if I'm under 0.5* out on a digital gauge, I'm usually happy. I figure there's no way I could do better that that with a traditional gauge after I've spent half an hour getting it that close

So we're on the same page, how about following through with DIR setup 'by the book'.

Do DIR, use 12-14* collective and 8* cyclic, finish flight mode setup (specifically travel adjust), do your rudder setup, and then finish it off with throttle calibration.

Don't skip any steps, don't substitue different values.
DX8 + Telemetery on all
JoeW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi and thanks for the reply. I setup the collective pitch to 12 degrees and set the cyclic pitch to 8 degrees with 2.1. The problem I had was once out of dir mode there was nearly 20 degrees of collective pitch on top and bottom were there was 12 degrees in dir? I too use tolerances of 0.5 degrees. I would say it is virtually impossible to set a constant 0 degrees with a digital gauge. All my servo horns were level at mid stick on a linear pitch setting in my radio. The swash movement when the collective pitch was applied seemed to be excessive? Is there swash mix settings in the software that require setting to mimic what's in the radio?
Old 07-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you perform the throttle range portion of the setup?
Old 07-10-2012, 04:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

No I did not, is it critical?
Old 07-10-2012, 04:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for that, just read about throttle set up. This has got to be the reason why I experienced my problems. Basically I haven't told the 3gx my throttle parameters so it's used ultimate limits. That's what i have comprehended from reading some info on the net. There was no mention of this on aligns web site! I will have a crack at updating again when this dam rain stops. Thank you very much for all your help, cheers
Old 07-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for that, just read about throttle set up. This has got to be the reason why I experienced my problems. Basically I haven't told the 3gx my throttle parameters so it's used ultimate limits. That's what i have comprehended from reading some info on the net. There was no mention of this on aligns web site! I will have a crack at updating again when this dam rain stops. Thank you very much for all your help, cheers
That will fix ya right up
Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
It's been on the site, in the release notes, and in the updated instructions. There's also a lot of talk about it in the 3GX subforum.

I missed it myself initially. I think the problem is I ignored it and didn't pay it any attention since I wasn't using the Gov function.

I find Align manuals have always been like that for me... So many people have missed the throttle calibration, ignored it, didn't see it or whatever. Some people are upset becuase the manual doesn't highlight it and say "you must do this step even if you think you don't have to... "

The other part that's very important is everything in DIR setup has to be done at mid stick/throttle, so 50/50 on your pitch curve. If you did your setup with the throttle/collective down low, the 3GX would think that your stick position is 'mid stick' and absolutly goes wild when it sees some normal input.
DX8 + Telemetery on all
Old 07-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes all was done with a linear pitch curve and set at mid stick. Yes, I must of overlooked the throttle set up but is this only something that was added to 2.0? I had no problems with the previous two firmware. Intact it flew like a dream but was steadier on 1.2, I was well impressed. Only started to have issues once I upgraded to 2.1
Old 07-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think the throttle calibration was added in 2.0, I don't remember it before that.

In the notes on the download page for 2.1 they made the clarrification that you need to perform that calibration even if you're not using APS or GOV
DX8 + Telemetery on all
Old 07-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Things that where added in the basic dir setup.
1.2 - 2.0 added a 8deg. cyclic setup instead of setting what you wanted and one more step after tail gyro delay for mounting, being upright or upside down. 2.0-2.1 added throttle calibration even if you didn't use the gov and it does state it in the instructions that you must do it.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Throttle calibration was there in 2.0 I noted it in Jeff F's setup video, and started doing it then. I thought it was curious because he said 'now do throttle calibration...' not 'now do throttle calibration if you're using the GOV...'

2.1 they added the note to download page to specifically say do it even if you don't think you need to.

DX8 + Telemetery on all
Old 07-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
Throttle calibration was there in 2.0 I noted it in Jeff F's setup video, and started doing it then. I thought it was curious because he said 'now do throttle calibration...' not 'now do throttle calibration if you're using the GOV...'

2.1 they added the note to download page to specifically say do it even if you don't think you need to.

Ya your correct the throttle cal was there clear back in 1.2 but was there for gov only setup and the same for 2.0. If you didn't use the gov, gear channel just got dissabled.
What I listed was the new settings that must be performed for basic dir setup from one ver. to another
Old 07-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes, I think I just wasn't following the way you had the version numbers
DX8 + Telemetery on all
Old 07-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Probably I have overlooked this step because it's part of the gov set up in 1.2 and because I have no gov installed, I ignored it
I was wondering how you turned off the gov function if none attached? I just added a switch control on my radio and switched off. This is indicated by a red light on the 3gx gov light.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in