Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2015, 12:09 PM   #1621 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCH View Post
I want to add that what's impressive to me is that I'm running near zero belt tension (loose enough I can run a 1.5mm hex driver with 2mm shaft between the belt and the main gear all the way from the front side of the main gear to the rear side) and the belt won't skip a tooth with that little tension even though the pinion and belt have had many hundreds of flight thanks to my steel solid pinion and double-idler mods. Without them, running stock soft aluminum 13T pinion without double-idler mod even with just 40 flights under the belt (no pun intended) on new pinion and belt no amount of belt tension would hold 80A+ maneuver without skipping a tooth. That is if the OWBs miraculously haven't slipped yet.
DoubleCH... do you have published any pictures of your mods?? If so can you please point me to the link to get there. You say you are running 13 T pinion, is this the OEM set up with the OWB from Protos factory? what is the advantage you think and why would you run it that way. I am assuming you run 6 Cell Lipo's??
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2015, 12:35 PM   #1622 (permalink)
Registered Users

In his post he said he runs his own custom steel, solid pinion. Not the 13t aluminum with owb. He runs a solid owb because he had wear issues on the aluminum ones. Running less tension is less drag and loss on the drive train, less wear on Belts, bearing and pulleys.

Here's a link to his steel pinion thread: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=638975

Double idler mod: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=639865
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2015, 01:21 AM   #1623 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not "today" but actually last week. I thought I posted to this thread already...

Finally upgraded my phone to the newer Samsung S6 (from S4) so it's time to test some video qualities and also to test my insane mode and half insane mode with nothing slipping pulling 80A+ and almost zero belt tension on 800+ flight old pinion and belt.

1080p60, Wild Scorpion 6S 45C 3500 (heavy 517g)
My Stretched Protos Testing Samsung S6 1080p60 [WS45C3500] (4 min 24 sec)

1080p30, 260+ flight old Nanotech 6S 25C 3000
My Stretched Protos Testing Samsung S6 1080p30 [NT25C3000] (4 min 39 sec)

4k30 UDH, 260+ flight old Nanotech 6S 25C 3000
My Stretched Protos Testing Samsung S6 4k30 [NT25C3000] (4 min 32 sec)

Same flight video cropped 100% from 4k 3840x2160 frame size to FHD 1920x1080 frame size
My Stretched Protos Testing Samsung S6 [NT25C3K, 4k 100% crop to FHD] (4 min 15 sec)
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2015, 01:45 PM   #1624 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice flights!

GAUI X3 6S, Xnova 1860, HW 50A V3, MKS DS95, 8910A+, BeastX, Belted Tail.
isogloss3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #1625 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's my beater with new blades. I guess 20mm more will not make the difference for my plastic frame.
mrrockwell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2015, 06:35 AM   #1626 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just put a bit of oil on the pitch slider and swash. Time to go fly
Old 11-29-2015, 02:39 AM   #1627 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not today but 3 days ago I replaced one tired cyclic servo. I've put probably 12-1400 flights with the set of TGY-S306G-HVs (micro-size) which came from my Blade 300X with about 6-800 flights and before that came from my Trex 450DFC that I bought used and flew a couple hundred flights with them. So total about 2000 flights. One of the 3 servos started jitter too much than I would like so I replaced it. That's when I realized the movement range is difference between the old and new ones although the 2000 flight old servo motors are just as strong. My Align 510M servo motors would've long gone. Oh wait, one of them did go out 1400 flights ago and that's why I switched to the TGYs.

Before I could find my other 2 new ones (stuff'ed somewhere from my recent move) I just tweaked the setup to make it work for the day. And here's the result (check out the aileron tic-tocs at 00:49).
My Stretched Protos Swapped Out Tired Cyclic Servo (4 min 19 sec)
Old 11-29-2015, 04:25 AM   #1628 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCH View Post
One of the 3 servos started jitter too much than I would like so I replaced it. That's when I realized the movement range is difference between the old and new ones although the 2000 flight old servo motors are just as strong.
I have always wondered if a FBL unit would be able to keep a heli level with different behaving servos (even different makes / specs) - did it "feel" any different???
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2015, 08:48 PM   #1629 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Keeping heli level is easy for the FBL. Actually to be exact, FBL doesn't know about "level" unless it has self-level feature but FBL knows very well to keep heli from rotating in any direction even with mismatched servo or badly aligned swash setup. The problem is not keeping the heli from changing attitude. The problem occurs when when FBL needs to respond to attitude change. Any change in attitude (or to be exact anything that requires FBL to move any cyclic servos) requires FBL to predict servo movement required and confirm with gyro data. Any servo mismatch or bad swash setup results in bad prediction which means big correction required by the FBL which means making heli "feels not right". The quicker the transient nature of the move the more it feels right.

So yes the heli felt not right with the mismatch servos. The day after I finally found the other 2 new servos. Put them in and re-tuned swash mechanical and electronic setups. Also took the opportunity to tame down electronic side of swash settings because the new servos travel further range, are less sloppy, and move faster. The heli felt more precise. I was going to record a precision-flying flight but as usual when the camera started rolling all plans went out the window.
My Stretched Protos with All 3 New Cyclic Servos (4 min 39 sec)

And then the day after I realized one of my tail boom support CF rods got its glue to the plastic end broke loose and the tail boom rattled on any high pitch/roll maneuvers. I had been wondering why I heard belt slapping the inside wall of the boom once in a while. I even tried tightening tail section of the belt tension (with no luck of course). After fixing that, the heli now feels even more precise. Next I'm going to replace the 1000-flight old MSH red hard 3D head dampers. They're getting sloppy finally after that many flights and a few crashes.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #1630 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice flying DoubleCH. I have been watching your vids since the mcpx days though it's been a while since I have been here and your flying has gotten even better. I love the low level low speed technical controlled flying style.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:18 PM   #1631 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks. I wish I could advance faster given how much and often I fly. Every time I fly I said I'll save new moves for more sim practice first, but when I'm home I always manage to be busy on something else. Haha!
Old 12-11-2015, 11:10 PM   #1632 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I didn't crash...

I have not flown my Protos for about a year-- been into sailplanes recently (discovered slope soaring-- I'm addicted...).

Ordered some fresh packs a few weeks ago and took my stretch bird up last weekend-- I am VERY rusty, but had a good set of basic flying. Planning to take her out again tomorrow, see if I can remember how to flip and roll...

Chief
BHChieftain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2015, 05:04 PM   #1633 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Finally replaced my belt from April. Had about 8-900 hard flights on it. Thanks to steel pinion mod and double-idler mod.

With the new belt I was kind of taking of easy so I thought it was good chance to do another 4k UHD video crop 1-to-1 pixel down to full HD 1920X1080 resolution.

My Stretched Protos with New Belt (4 min 44 sec)

Last edited by DoubleCH; 12-13-2015 at 01:31 AM..
Old 12-12-2015, 11:57 PM   #1634 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Fantastic flight, those piroflips are looking great.

GAUI X3 6S, Xnova 1860, HW 50A V3, MKS DS95, 8910A+, BeastX, Belted Tail.
isogloss3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2016, 08:31 AM   #1635 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flew in the cold, just couldn't resist mowing the snow.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453732243.470515.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	632050

Jumna is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2016, 04:46 PM   #1636 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flew it the first time since 9 months I lost a nearby flying field last year and that means I mostly have to take the car to go fly.

I couldn´t believe how sluggish it felt. Not that I changed a thing on the setup, did I grew faster thumbs? So I did not even fly one whole pack before taking the weights out of the paddles (yes still FB) and removing all expo from the rudder. Much better! Upped the HS 5% - and walla performance!

But the FB characteristics are seriously messing my flying up, especially after such a long pause. I really had to fight to keep everything straight. Loops, rolls, tic tocs, half piroflips, all came out slightly crooked. That being said I´m still undecided do convert it to FBL (have the kit already). I somehow like the quirkiness and challenge it gives me.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #1637 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr dremel View Post
Flew it the first time since 9 months I lost a nearby flying field last year and that means I mostly have to take the car to go fly.

I couldn´t believe how sluggish it felt. Not that I changed a thing on the setup, did I grew faster thumbs? So I did not even fly one whole pack before taking the weights out of the paddles (yes still FB) and removing all expo from the rudder. Much better! Upped the HS 5% - and walla performance!

But the FB characteristics are seriously messing my flying up, especially after such a long pause. I really had to fight to keep everything straight. Loops, rolls, tic tocs, half piroflips, all came out slightly crooked. That being said I´m still undecided do convert it to FBL (have the kit already). I somehow like the quirkiness and challenge it gives me.
Just buy another FBL Protos 500.. It's only money.. you will make some more. I have 9 x Protos 500 , one of which is a FB'ed version. I never flew it.. I also have the conversion kit.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #1638 (permalink)
Registered Users

And joining Protoholics Anonymous? It is tempting
Old 01-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #1639 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr dremel View Post
And joining Protoholics Anonymous? It is tempting

But of course!

Here is my stash of canopy's for the Protos 500..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1868.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	632548  
Old 01-28-2016, 11:18 PM   #1640 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm about to build up the legendary p500 as well :-). The max is looking for a smaller sibling.

Probably going with a carbon kit, Xpert M1 servos, and thinking about what monster motor I can put in it. :-). Any thoughts on the best Xnova option?
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in