Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2015, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default weirdest crash ever today.

OK...this I gotta tell

today I had the weirdest, highest altitude, hardest ever, on the hardest surface ever - asphalt, it was the most noise making, yet cheapest crash I have ever had in 35 years flying RC and 14 with helis...

Cost of the crash? NOTHING!!!! absolutely nothing...not even a scratch!

I swear this is true and I can't explain it...no one will believe this.

as a beater/practice heli, I use a Trex 500L with a Kobi 90, Scorpion 3226-1600KV, on a 13T pinion,Scorpion HK-3226-1600 and BK servos, running on 6S 3300mAh, with an WR BEC, and all controlled by a Spartan VX1n FBL.

My second flight of the day...went up vertical, really really high inverted and hit TH..

started the auto down really fast, rotated it back out of inverted and for no reason whatsoever decided to flip it back out of TH to do it again...

the motor didn't start....so instead of continuing the AR down, letting pitch gain head speed, in my surprise and awe for what had just happened, I started flipping the damn switches instead, moved TH 3 or 4 times and tried Idle 0, 1 and 2, and out of the blue...with all the time I lost fiddling with the switches, the blades simply stopped!!

The heli was some 80 feet high in the air and with no blades spinning came down faster than a turd out of a tall dog's ass!!

BANG on the runway asphalt...I could see it came down perfectly square on the landing gears

so I figured..that one will cost some money and time to fix it...it fell so far I drove there!

When I get there, I see the heli on its side, the first impression was weird..no parts scattered all over...the blades were both pointing back and both with weird pitch angles, so I figured..broken linkages etc..

Picked it up and looked at the canopy on all sides, and it doesn't even have a scratch!!

looked around, no parts, the pitch links were off from the blades, but both on the swashplate...so I put them back on...looked at the tail..nothing..not even a scratch in the blades or on the fin...

so I tried to see if it worked, connected the battery and radio, and it flew!! as good as it did before the crash, and even did 3 or 4 more AR like the one I was doing...

now...why the Koby did not engage, I have no idea, but it worls fine..but the awe...is the crash from an 80 feet height, broke nothing...

BTW...I use Gorilla gears and thee never break, so not even a bent skid pipe!!

do you believe this??

Its true, I have to say, Align does make a sturdy helicopter...

Kind regards

Alex
Alex M K is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nosir, I don't believe it.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

would I come here and post a post like this just to lie? I have better things to do
Old 07-13-2015, 11:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would have liked to have seen something like that. Might have even paid money.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skivon3 View Post
I would have liked to have seen something like that. Might have even paid money.
weird as hell...never seen before.

Actually now that I looked better, there is some damage, but nothing serious...I did not see this when I flew it today...I did notice that that battery had come off the slides...

with the impact the battery actually bent a bit, and in the area where the velcro strap secures it dented the battery, and on one side ripped the heat shrink..

I inspected it, charged it and measured it just now and all is good.

These batteries on my beaters don't last long anyway...

ohh and one of the blades does have a scratch...dang...there goes my story.

ohh and one of the blades does have a scratch...dang...there goes my story.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

It slipped thru one of the black holes floating around in Europe created by the CERN.....

Obviously rx signals are shunted in em too.....
Old 07-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Noticed your flying FB blades on a FBL.....
Old 07-14-2015, 11:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumOFparts View Post
Noticed your flying FB blades on a FBL.....
yes..I like it.

it makes them a lot more agile, nimble and sensitive...do that even in my 700's the Mostro and Auroras..tastes

Kind regards

Alex
Old 07-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumOFparts View Post

Obviously rx signals are shunted in em too.....

Flew it again this morning...4 packs..same moves, and all worked fine...go figure...must have had a re-arming glitch...at least it was a free one

PS..CERN joke was funny!
Old 07-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is this April 1st.?
MiataJohn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2015, 04:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have had a similar incident on my blade 500 3d two summers ago. I fly up on a bank, and my heli briefly drifted out of sight over the bank during an inverted nose dive. I hit TH, gave full negative and pitch forward.
I see my blade 500 floating back up into view over the bank! It's fully upright!
I re-engage the throttle to regain some power, but this thing barely has enough power to autorotate safely, and it makes it 60 ft away, landing upright in a dried out swamp! Same thing, no damage or anything.
My trex 500 on the other hand, it blows up every 30 flights. It's been nothing but headache for me.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharicasmi View Post
My trex 500 on the other hand, it blows up every 30 flights. It's been nothing but headache for me.
My Trex's never make more than 10-15 flights without a crash...I use them as bangers to avoid damaging the Mostro and the Auroras.

what do you mean they blow? I have been flying them (almost daily for the last 3 years, 2 to 4 packs each time) for practice for a while now and had never had one blow on me. what do you mean please?

Kind regards

Alex
Old 07-17-2015, 07:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go up to the top of a four story building. Leave the blade carrier on, attach your flight pack, put the canopy on, and throw the heli over the edge. Report back if theres no damage. That or your idea of 80 feet is grossly mistaken.
Bluelunatic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

You know right kind of wind conditions - the kiting effect may take just enough energy out - if stars, moon, and everything is aligned right.....

Its kinda like when that Great White takes a bite - its the luck of the draw whether he just gets a bite of the board - or well - you know......
Old 07-18-2015, 11:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

By blow up, I mean the tail hub throws a blade grip. At first this was happening with the ESP tail and gears, so I switched to pro tail case/ gears.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

You're still throwing blades, even with the pro tail?
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in