Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

so far it looks promising. thanks Will. Liked! Subscribed.
helicray is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexwilly View Post
OK guys back in business! Fairly standard hunt for me, found the data on the NA site
http://www.falconsekido.com/pages/download

Being an old guy, and not being overly smart, it took me a bit to get it installed and figure out the program, but I just needed to update the multi function LED dubber...V1.17_140315

In my search there is a new version of firmware for the 50 that helps it to "play nice with the HK2520 series motor... I will try it as is, and then update as it seems pretty easy to do!

The MFLCD P is pretty cool, wish they would have sized the characters down a little as the voltage check can only display 4 cells at a time... wish all eight could be up at once, since I fly mostly all 6S it's a pain to have to wait for the thing to cycle through total voltage first, then the first 4 cells...
When I ran the USB/program box/PC software, it searched for new firmware by itself. Then it downloaded new firmware to program box. I did not power up the ESC though.
465 (6s), Align DFC, HW50AV3, KST315 & 8910A+, SK720BE
lcc014 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome Trexwilly!

Can you please test the V-Bar gov function with the built in RPM Sensor? I am very curious to see if this works.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK guys looking even better, the first test with the 2520-1880 look good, spins up no issues, no stutters.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

nice!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hobbywing Platinum Pro V3

Hey willy, as you know in running my 450 on a 2221-8 on 4s. I'm still using the factory 35amp align esc and a cc bec to power the essentials. Would I notice a power increase using a bigger esc like this? Or maybe better efficiency?
blue92ehsi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I would say you would notice a flight performance improvement, just by using the governor feature. The added plus of getting rid of the extra hassle of a stand alone BEC would be nice too.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hobbywing Platinum Pro V3

I figured maybe I'm not seeing the full Potential of a 4s setup die to the esc not being able to deliver as much current as it needs. But might be wrong. I'll let you guys play around a little and maybe I'll get one
blue92ehsi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I used to use the align 35a esc with a scorpion 2221-6, I noticed no power change when I switched to a ice lite 50. Your system should have less draw, so I would assume the esc won't limit the power, but then again, I have heard that the scorpion 2221-8 creates ludicrous power at 4s...

BTW, Trexwilly, you seem to have a magic touch or something. It really is bizarre. Nothing that you touch seems to ever brown out. I think you should conduct some tests to see if you can do anything to cause a brownout. Perhaps there is a setup thing or assembly thing that is causing these problems.
Yfbb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well the lucky star I have been operating under is gone...

I let a friend use my Ice Lite 50 to try to run on his Trex450L he wanted to try 7.0V...

Well the setup was browning out bad... I had kind of figured the BEC would not be able to handle the higher power setups... Well I moved the ESC back to a 450 Pro I was planning to run at 6V, and it browns out all over the place... I can't figure it, because that ESC has been working since 2009 on 6V
Old 05-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Well the lucky star I have been operating under is gone...

I let a friend use my Ice Lite 50 to try to run on his Trex450L he wanted to try 7.0V...

Well the setup was browning out bad... I had kind of figured the BEC would not be able to handle the higher power setups... Well I moved the ESC back to a 450 Pro I was planning to run at 6V, and it browns out all over the place... I can't figure it, because that ESC has been working since 2009 on 6V
Did your buddy by any chance wire tie down the cables really tight, crimp them, etc? This points to installation as a cause of brownouts. Hopefully your'e onto something here. I am getting a feeling that the brownouts are wire related. My align 35a esc's cable got a little chewed up, with the wire just a little damaged, and voila, it can't even run cyclics on a flybar heli anymore.
Yfbb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I had a failed attempt this AM, then after returning home and getting a more though read of the instructions... I think I have it set to my liking...
Old 05-12-2014, 01:07 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Will good to know.

It really makes me wonder when people say "high voltage means less current". How is that so if the HV servo(306's, RJX and KST) brownout the HW PP 50A ESC?

On another note. People are talking about this YEP ESC V2 supporting 10 pole motors. I know you tested it out Will, but what's going on here? Is this a new release of the YEP ESC???

Esc extreme45a v1 with scorpion2520-1580kv testing (3 min 42 sec)

Is there a YEP V2 out on the market or not???
Old 05-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the YEP 45a V2 ESC but it is giving me problems. it is giving me oscillation issues when moving between 80-100% throttle. This happens when using no gov, with Gov store mode, or V-Bar gov. I have not ruled out the possibility of the motor being an issue but my Hobbywing V3 just arrived so I will test with that soon as I get back on island and see if it was a motor or ESC issue.

Heard other people having issues with the YEP 45 V2 as well.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I was able to get a dozen flights Today... WOW. I an super impressed!

Last edited by Trexwilly; 05-12-2014 at 09:51 PM..
Trexwilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It really makes me wonder when people say "high voltage means less current". How is that so if the HV servo(306's, RJX and KST) brownout the HW PP 50A ESC?
OK here is the deal, if you change motor and ESC on a power system, like changing from say 3S to 6S, that will use less current... But if the only thing you change is the input voltage, like going from 5.5 to 7.4, you will not lower current use, you will increase it, not by double but a corresponding increase to the voltage increase for sure... A good example of this is what many guys are doing in revers, many guys are using their 3S packs to low headspeed fly their 6S machines, and they are using much less current...

Quote:
On another note. People are talking about this YEP ESC V2 supporting 10 pole motors. I know you tested it out Will, but what's going on here? Is this a new release of the YEP ESC???
No I think even the V1 will work with the lower KV 2520... it is just the higher KV 1880 that is giving them a hard time....

I had a very nice go with the PPV3 50A and I must say this unit is nice, better than nice guys it is awesome...

[ame]http://youtu.be/yOkvUnCYYF0[/ame]

Pros
Form, and weight... good
Has good Governor
Has output for external governor"someone else will have to test that, I am not a external governor fan"
Has auto rotation bailout, that is easy to use, and works good!
Has powerful BEC that is voltage selectable!
Half way decent instructions

Cons
It is only on EBay for US buyers" this is going to change"
has wrong bullets" only aplies to me, I use Align 24Ks" So no bullet would be better for me
It cost 50+

Last edited by Trexwilly; 05-12-2014 at 09:53 PM..
Trexwilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 06:06 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for clearing that up Will. It all makes sense now. Nice flight. Is that on 6v or 7.4v?
Old 05-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmann841 View Post
I have the YEP 45a V2 ESC but it is giving me problems. it is giving me oscillation issues when moving between 80-100% throttle. This happens when using no gov, with Gov store mode, or V-Bar gov. I have not ruled out the possibility of the motor being an issue but my Hobbywing V3 just arrived so I will test with that soon as I get back on island and see if it was a motor or ESC issue.

Heard other people having issues with the YEP 45 V2 as well.
I got the YEP's on my 450s and they work fine. I also got the YEP on a 250, it works well with my scorpion motor, but it doesn't want to play well with my no name brand motor. It's about time though that ESC companies are now addressing the issues on making proper ESCs for FBL setups, as opposed to previously when we had no choice but to use low spec ESCs designed for FB setups.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old 05-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thank you Will for the demonstration, much appreciated. So what is your opinion about a 5v and a 7.4v setup, do you notice any difference in flight, does it feel any better or more responsive? Does the flight time get reduced? I'm just comparing from your other x3 videos, and it looks the same as a 5.5v setup, but it seems 20 seconds less in flight time??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in