Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Outrage RC > Outrage G5

Outrage G5 Outrage G5 Helicopter Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default we have lift off! (I spoke too soon)

So last night at 11:30pm in my garage I fired up the g5. I was nervous because I never setup a fbl Heli before. First try was a no go because the tail was spinning out of control, tail was set on wrong bank. Second try failed because Heli shook out of control, cyclic gain was set to 100% oops. Third try she got in the air and was nice and stable. Had to add some expo because this is one fast Heli. I jabbed the collective a bit and wow I almost put it through the ceiling. Off to the field tomorrow with the laptop. The one thing need to fix is that I get a bad vibration on spool down. There is also a bit of vibe on spoolup. I didn't ballance the blades yet so I hope that's it.

Last edited by rmalt; 10-03-2010 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: Title change
rmalt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Blades might be too loose in the grips.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Ok now this crap is getting old! I went to the field today to try to dial this heli in. I couldn't even get it in the air today. When I tried to spool it up it was getting a really bad vibration. This is the FBL version so the head is a very simple setup. The vibration was so bad it ended up tipping over the heli and in turn it broke a servo horn.

I am not a noob with setting up a heli so everything seemed ok. The one thing that I did notice is that I do have some play in the blade grips up and down. I know that others have had some issues with this also. I have my esc setup for slow start so it drags through any vibrations. With the blade grips the radial bearings are tight in the grips but the thrust bearings just fall right out and have some play in the grips. The blades were not on too loose. I just don't know what amout of play in the blade grips would be normal.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

I know solaris (Mike) had some issues with his FBL head, it seems the holes drilled into the head and grips was too large. This cause the damper and grip bearings to float around.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

ahh yes. My FBL kit for the G5 was a bad batch i think.

the Dampers could actually move around in the head block. Also the blade grip bearings could move around inside the blade grips. it gave the heli blades a good 1.5" vertical play.

I ordered a separate head block and blade grip set (Same as fbl version anyways) and its all super tight now.

With that said, my sk720 always complained the the vibration was high, but the heli did fly smooth when it was up to speed.

**When you start to be in complete control reflexes are not a requirement.**
s0laris is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

No play in the blade grips is GOOOOD!
There are realy some issues with the G5 but ive managed to lift it and fly around a litle.
I have mentioned before that im a big fan of Gazaur, mainly because of their flying capabilities and second because of they are realy different fromm all the other helis.
And the Poseidon 480 version will also take a 6s setup without any kind of problem!
With the longer upgrade tail set it will also swing 350 blades!
If you ever wonder about a new 450 class heli then wonder about the Gazaur
Rupi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a flybarred G5, so not sure about the flybarless. Here are some thoughts though.

What head speeds have you tried? My experience so far is that the anything below 2350rpm will produce a pretty bad vibration at spool up, spool down, or in a hover. Even chatted with Charley about this and it seems the hard stock dampers are the cause.

Also, I had to let the blades quite loose in the grips, contrary to the common knowledge that says it is better to be wrong on the snug side than on the loose side. How loose? When I rotate the head applying a small force to the blades, they don't move in the grips. But when a hold the heli one side up and shake it a bit, both blades move a bit.

Above 2350rpm and with the blades loose as described above, my G5 becomes a well behaved little sucker that will do anything I ask from it.
3Dmuse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Interested, subscribed.

FlyAndFix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The problem I had today was also the fact that I had my ESC set for slow startup so I couldn't even get it up to flying headspeed before it vibrated off my platform and flipped over.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalt View Post
The problem I had today was also the fact that I had my ESC set for slow startup so I couldn't even get it up to flying headspeed before it vibrated off my platform and flipped over.
What's your pitch curve in angular degrees? Governed or fixed end points?
3Dmuse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think the problem is solved. When I was doing my test flights I was trying to start it from concrete. I also had the esc on a very slow startup. With the sk 720 starting on a had surface was making a type of vibration that was messing up the gyro. After I fixed the broken horn I started from the grass and everything was A OK! Test hovered 3 battery packs and there was no vibration.

I do notice that there is some what I would call flap in the blade grips. I don't get any vibration from it but I wonder if I should try and put some shims in?
Old 10-05-2010, 11:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

You are welcome

**When you start to be in complete control reflexes are not a requirement.**
s0laris is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalt View Post
I do notice that there is some what I would call flap in the blade grips. I don't get any vibration from it but I wonder if I should try and put some shims in?
Flap...like in-out movement away from the main shaft? If so, mine have a bit of play that way, but I think it will be fine, once the head is at speed the centrifugal force will hold them "outwards" pretty hard.
Blade mCPX BL | MultiWii Quadrotor
branflake is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2010, 05:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not in and out, if you look into the blade grips with the blades off you can see the end of the thrust bearing and there is a small space arround the thrust bearing that allows some play. Talked to helidirect and they said it is normal.

Hey bran, have you had you G5 in the air yet?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

sadly, no. I have been getting ready for winter in our first house (lots of maintenance things to to that i have never done before). I think tonight Ill pull the head back off and level off the swash and set up my pitch and such. Every time i walk into the shop/cave to work on it I get tempted and end up using the time to fly a plane or my msr.

Not to sound like a jerk, but I hope mine is a bit less trying than your first few were.
Blade mCPX BL | MultiWii Quadrotor
branflake is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So I was able to get out to the field today to really try the G5 today. All I have to say is that FBL is the way to go! It really feels like it is on rails.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in