Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters

Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default KALT BARON WHISPER - Never Flown.

HI...a friend of mine gave me a Kalt Baron: Whisper (electric...with brushed motor) that his father was building before he passed away. The Kalt is almost complete but never flown.

Needs: Servos, Gyro, Receiver and a tail bracket. I think everything else is there.

Ideally I would like to restore it and get it flying. Does anyone have a used Kalt they can sell for parts? Or...advise where I can find the original parts....or what electronics would be suitable for retrofit?

I am a newbie at the hobby, but instantly addicted. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Mendel
Blender_Addict is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

I am pretty new to the hobby, but have several Kalt-related projects of my own underway.

Unfortunately for you, parts for this heli are getting to be almost non-existent, so few hobbyists seem to be trying to fly, or to put up these nice old examples for others to buy-- those that have them are mostly seeming to just put them away somewhere.

I have no official documentation on the Whisper myself, but am working on putting one together from the ground up and would be glad to share anything I know or learn, either on a thread or via PM.

Likewise, if you can be specific on what parts you might be short or might have damaged on yours, then it's possible I could have an extra one on hand and can help you out, especially if you have other parts that I do not have to swap.

The key part that breaks often on these is the pitch slider on the main shaft. It has three ball links, and is a relatively fragile part, in a complicated arrangement, that is subject to impact damage and breakage. I rigged my own slider up using some JB weld, and will have to see if it holds up as I test it and continue to build the rest of the heli up.

Good luck!
tracknoob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 03:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender_Addict View Post
HI...a friend of mine gave me a Kalt Baron: Whisper (electric...with brushed motor) that his father was building before he passed away. The Kalt is almost complete but never flown.

Needs: Servos, Gyro, Receiver and a tail bracket. I think everything else is there.

Ideally I would like to restore it and get it flying. Does anyone have a used Kalt they can sell for parts? Or...advise where I can find the original parts....or what electronics would be suitable for retrofit?

I am a newbie at the hobby, but instantly addicted. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Mendel
I just checked on eBay and while there are some parts available, I did not see a tail bracket. If you have a manual, you might want to post the part number.

If you are new to the hobby, you might want to keep the whisper as part of the history of electric helicopters and learn on a newer helicopter. The whisper was built to fly, not built to crash. It's construction was for flying and if you crash, you will break a lot of parts.

It was meant to run on a 8 cell nicad pack, or 9.6 volts. The new LiPo's are 11.1 volts.
Any speed control for a brushed motor should work, but Futaba made a nice unit with an arming switch on it. The gyro's back then were mechanical. Any servos that are big enough to be mounted with the sliders provided should work.

If you have the decal sheet in mint condition, I might be interested in it and I need two screws for mounting the canopy. (I am looking for the small screws with blue on them.)

Good luck and let me know how it goes.
flyinghobbes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

A few years go I got the bug to build/fly an Ikarus Eco 8. I did a ton of research on it, and it was claimed that the Eco 8 was an e locution of the Kalt Whisper? I'd look on eBay for eco 8 parts, and see if Rey look like they match up?
JasonRP_7743 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in