Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default When Will You be "Satisfied"?

One of the best things about this hobby is that there is no end to the things you can learn and improve on. Even elite pilots can put together new and better routines. There will always be something to improve.

My question is, "How many plan to steadily improve and keep moving on and on to higher and more difficult levels of flying, and at least have hopes of becoming a top 3D Ace", and how many "Have a specific set of goals in mind and figure you will be thrilled if you achieve that set of skills."?

Age has something to do with this. I am 67 and took this up a year and a half ago. It is a bit of a race against time to see whether I improve my skills faster than my reflexes and eye sight decline. In my case, I have a very specific set of goals. When I solidify my present basic circuits and shaky nose in skills, I will be happy if I can learn good basic (I guess it is called sport flying?) doing circuits, flips, rolls, loops, and solid but basic inverted hovering and simple inverted moves.

I admire the skilled pilots that do slow motion flips and rolls low to the ground. I think I might be able to pull that off and I would consider my heli learning a great success if I get to that point.

If I do and still have my physical health and skills, sure I might try some more advanced tricks, but the point is that I have a very definite idea of what might be possible in my life situation and I have goals that are probably within reach in another year or two and I will be thrilled if I get there.
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

For me It's not about hot 3D. It's about the symphony, the weather, and the beauty of the morning sun reflecting off the rotor disk. It's about spending time with good people, sharing the ups and downs. It's about pushing my personal limits, but not so much too fast that I'm out of control and crash. It's about the satisfaction of steadily progressing and truly mastering a skill.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -
Visit Early and often - http://open-txu.org
Jermo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great post!

I'm reminded of the Alan Watts audio illustrated by the South Park gents regarding the hoax of an ultimate goal and the beauty of enjoying the journey. Check it out here if you haven't seen it... and then read some Watts

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERbvKrH-GC4[/ame]

So I think I've already learned my less about setting goals. When I first started flying helis the thought of doing any 3D seemed improbable. Then after a couple of months I was flipping my mCPx, looking at larger helis, and getting deeper into 3D. There's nothing wrong with setting goals, but making satisfaction a qualifier of those goals may be counterproductive.

So if I have a goal at this point it's to enjoy the experience of learning to be a better pilot for as long as I'm able or interested in the hobby.
JR X9503 2.4Ghz Turnigy 9X with Dragonlink
Manzooka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have no limits at this point, I can get really good! When I started 3d looked ugly but its growing on me. I prefer If I can comprehend things Im viewing. And Im getting there, its still a bit of a blur.
I seemed to make a huge jump when I went to vbar, so id suggest a good fbl system. Also if your eyes are bad a bigger bird will help.

Very cool post on Alan Watts.
Volcano is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I can reverse piro flip direction while simultaneously cooking up some great steaks on the grill. Until then, I'm burning packs like a pill addict popping uppers.
AMA #934662
caralmar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great post Manzooka, sums it up perfectly.

If you could fly like Tareq just by waking up tomorrow, would it feel as "good"? No, it's the getting their that counts, or even the not getting their that counts even more.

Formerly owned - Compass 7HV - Blade mCP X V2 - Blade 400 FBL BeastX
Mixmaster Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Oops- we all got it
Volcano is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by caralmar View Post
When I can reverse piro flip direction while simultaneously cooking up some great steaks on the grill. Until then, I'm burning packs like a pill addict popping uppers.
Yup,...Pretty much sums it up...
Old 05-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll never be totally satisfied, as perfectionists never are...sometimes they get better..sometimes, or develop stress related illnesses, gray hair.,etc..and if they are lucky a great wife who just shakes her head and says...whatever makes you happy.

I am somewhat satisfied I'm running out of new unplanned flight terminations...using current flying methods...time for a change and some additional parts. Ha.

Seriously, never, but I am more than pleased I can fly a number of my birds through many packs a day and now rarely need parts. The last and final crash of my SR, which decimated it (servo stuck) , was my turning point. I'm sure I'll push too far on a windy day eventually as that has been my weakness in the past.

Whatever level of flying you enjoy most I would say can be satisfying, there is just always something you can add or change to avoid becoming bored.
Psuedo_Heli_Commander is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Never satisfied.. but it is all about the journey.. not the destination.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
Never satisfied.. but it is all about the journey.. not the destination.
Same here.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzooka View Post
Great post!

I'm reminded of the Alan Watts audio illustrated by the South Park gents regarding the hoax of an ultimate goal and the beauty of enjoying the journey. Check it out here if you haven't seen it... and then read some Watts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERbvKrH-GC4

So I think I've already learned my less about setting goals. When I first started flying helis the thought of doing any 3D seemed improbable. Then after a couple of months I was flipping my mCPx, looking at larger helis, and getting deeper into 3D. There's nothing wrong with setting goals, but making satisfaction a qualifier of those goals may be counterproductive.

So if I have a goal at this point it's to enjoy the experience of learning to be a better pilot for as long as I'm able or interested in the hobby.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

its all about having fun for me

if i enjoy I will progress

when I don't enjoy i take breaks utill I miss it and then start all over again
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned User

I'll be happy when I fly a heli with no physical blades. Instead, mounted in the blade grips will be a force-field emitter that constrains plasma blades.

Until then I will be happy with my Protos. Its going to be a while till I outgrow it, its quite a handfull at my present skill level.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

When I first started I got caught up in comparing my progress to other pilots. It took some of the fun out of the hobby. Now I just want to get better and enjoy the experience.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i am quite satasfied with my flying, sure there are some things i need to work on but i can do enough stuff to keep me from getting bored flying. i never wanted to fly 3D but after a few months i started to get bored with flying circles around a field. and it all went from there. after one year of fllying i was getting really good at 3D and having lots of fun

at this point in time i have finally quite working on learning new stuff. i am working on how precise and smooth i can do each maneuver and the guys i fly with say my flying is pretty, i mix sport and 3D flying. once i have mastered the stuff i can already do to the point its perfect and precise every single time i do it. ( already there with most of he moves) but still have allot of moves i need to work on. so i am not planning on working on any thing new for awhile, plus i don't get all that much time to fly these days and that is one more reason my progression has stopped. but i am fine what that and enjoy flying the way i fly.

the name of the game is not really what you can do, its if your enjoying what your doing and how well you can do the stuff you already know how to do. the better you are at the stuff you can do now, the less likley to crash you are. allot of guys say the fastest way to become a 3D master is the slowest way. it took some time before i understood that but its true, taking the time to get every thing down to precision has made me a much better pilot.

this is how i see it, being satisfied depends on what your after, i am after enjoying my self i have lost the drive to keep progressing as fast as i could, i guess i have come to a point where i am quite happy with the way i am flying and now i can just enjoy it. heck i even got a plane to cruz around just to have something relaxing to fly, i enjoy slowly flying a foamy around but i don't enjoy just flying a helicopter around easily. i can do some pretty killer stuff on the plane when i want to but really i just like to cruz it around slowly after flying 3D on my helicopter to wind down and relax. i have no desire to do more that sport flying with the plane even tho i can do more with the plane.

bottom line is have fun.

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 03:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

As long as I have fun I am satisfied. My toy helicopter flying skills are irrelevant and there is nothing to prove here, hence no goals.
AcidDrink is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 03:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

ronm3313
Registered Users

My HF Map location

When I first started I got caught up in comparing my progress to other pilots. It took some of the fun out of the hobby. Now I just want to get better and enjoy the experience.

+ 100
I started comparing myself to others and started doing stuff I had no right to try at my level,and resulted in crashes
No,5 months ago went back to ,
1 nose on hover
2 sideways hover
3 piro's constantly while learning to have full smooth control
4 piro's from and to end down the field
5 after I get that down then start learning backwards
Point it one day while flying i was so amazed how good it felt to have full absolute control in a nose in or side ways hover and really started to enjoy just having my orientation down now
I do no ever anymore feel i have to be at someones level above me,n=but enjoy every LITTLE step i take in getting better
+1 on the journey Enjoy it while you are getting there
Will I ever be a Bobby or Curtiss, I seriously doubt it
Do I feel like i need to be there to be satisfied ,No
Would I like to be
Yes for sure
But until then
I am just enjoying the heck out of the trip

Last edited by Heli,Ed; 05-12-2012 at 06:12 AM..
Heli,Ed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 03:56 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just have fun !!!!
Heli,Ed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 04:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess I'll never stop improving, but I have my goals set pretty high.
Started less then a year ago, and can do some nice 3D stuff, but it will be a long journey
robi1kenobi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in