Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default considering IR based stabilization for AP ship...

I am considering picking up an IR based stabiliztion unit for my other AP ship (trex 600, I currently have a Joker CX outfitted with a helicommand 3A.) I would like to get some input on this subject first though...the main concern I have is whether or not units like the AP200i and CPII are capable of operating in relatively close proximity to obstacles such as trees and buildings, or are they really only functional in a wide open flying field? I have done a lot of reading on this subject and can't seem to find a difinitive answer...I understand some drift may be a problem and I am OK with this as long as trees and buildings aren't going to cause the unit to malfunction and possibly cause a catastrophic crash. Most of my flying will be a good distance away from obstacles such as this, but I certainly won't be just flying in a wide open space with a clear view of the horizon and would like the piece of mind of knowing that the unit isn't going to freak out if I do get too close to an obstacle. Also, if an IR based unit will be suitable for my purposes, what unit would you recommend: AP200i or CPII? I am mostly interested in something that will help smooth out my flying for aerial video but also something that can assist with flying at a distance and give a little extra time to react if orientation becomes a problem. I am happy with how my HC3A works on the Joker but would like to outfit the trex with a more affordable system if possible.

Thanks

Dan
Dan_555 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Question answered??..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I42obUw1rBI[/ame]

nightflyr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Very impressive Nightflyr! I thought it was recommended that anyone flying in close proximity to obstacles or in mountainous, rugged terrain stay away from IR based stabilization units, but from your video it appears CPII has no problem whatsoever...I guess things have changed since the last time I was in the market for a stabilization unit. Those look like some truly awful flying conditions, was the CPII doing most of the work holding a hover, or did it just help make the high winds more manageable? If the CPII is actually able to hold a stable hover it seems this unit is far more effective than the Helicommand. In horizontal mode (position mode is of course useless for me because of the altitude limitations) at most helicommand helped smooth out my flying and helped with flying at a distance...if I were to loose orientation it gave me a little extra time to react. How would you compare the stabilization of a helicommand to the CPII?

Thanks!
Dan_555 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_555 View Post
Very impressive Nightflyr! I thought it was recommended that anyone flying in close proximity to obstacles or in mountainous, rugged terrain stay away from IR based stabilization units, but from your video it appears CPII has no problem whatsoever...I guess things have changed since the last time I was in the market for a stabilization unit. Those look like some truly awful flying conditions, was the CPII doing most of the work holding a hover, or did it just help make the high winds more manageable? If the CPII is actually able to hold a stable hover it seems this unit is far more effective than the Helicommand. In horizontal mode (position mode is of course useless for me because of the altitude limitations) at most helicommand helped smooth out my flying and helped with flying at a distance...if I were to loose orientation it gave me a little extra time to react. How would you compare the stabilization of a helicommand to the CPII?

Thanks!
There have been some great improvements on this system ....but there are still limitations..

The bird in the video is my AP rig and is quite stable on its own, the jerking was me on the cyclic to get the heli to move so the CPII would correct.

Also there was no vegetation on trees or bushes, which could cause the CPII to react.

Comparing the HC to the CPII is not really possible ..two completely different operational platforms.

If the flying conditions are favorable, and the area is flat and level the CPII will function as well as any gyro based unit. Along with emergency recovery it makes a nice safety net for flying.
But most don't have the luxury of have clear skies and wide open plains to fly in, so adjustments are needed to compensate.

Depending on your specific needs and application, the choice between either system comes down to what you what it to do for you.

nightflyr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in