Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default has anyone tried upgrading tail motor?

hey there pilots

first of all sorry if this has been covered but i did have a search

i have upgraded main motor(xtreme) and also to 1000 mah batts, plus i am using the trex 250 skids, she flys really sweet after a bit of messing about with battery position.
only trouble is i seem to be going through tail motors (onto my third) and i know it's a trade off, but was wondering if anyone had tried another tail motor?
comments appreciated.

cheers.
stonednbroke is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

unfortunately it appears that what we have at the present (stock) is really all we've got to work with. It would seem to me that the next logical step for the manufacturer of the Xtreme main motor would be to come out with a tail motor to run with it.

To me it's sort of like someone coming out with a high performance engine to drop into an automobile but still only having the anemic factory transmission to hook it up to.
Heli-cat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oh dear,

Thanks for the reply, and a great analogy.

Anyone got a job lot of tail motors for sale? Lol
Old 03-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

main mSRx motor fit in 120 tail motor carrier and i am using it right now instead of default 120 tail moto r.
sucmanhtritue is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting. Did it do anything to the CG on the heli? I would think it would make it tail-heavy enough to affect its flight characteristics negatively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucmanhtritue View Post
main mSRx motor fit in 120 tail motor carrier and i am using it right now instead of default 120 tail moto r.
Chris Gardill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

What is CG? do you mean center gravity?

The mSRx main motor does not weight much than the 120 tail motor (1 or 2 gram i think) but it is stronger so nose turn right faster.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, CG or center of gravity. Just CG is so much shorter and faster to type. Seems you wont see anyone type center of gravity, except for a new person.
HopSkipFlop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
was this a direct fit?...same connectors and everything? Could definitely be worth exploring
Old 03-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

While it's true that abbreviations and acronyms are shorter and faster to type... they're also, by nature, exclusionary. Every time you use one without accompanying it with its definition, you're potentially preventing an uninformed reader or novice from understanding what you're talking about... which, to my way of thinking, runs completely counter to the whole purpose of this forum.

From the standpoint of cordiality, and the honest desire to offer viable, useful education and help to all readers -- as opposed to the "in" crowd -- I think it makes more sense to type out the phrase the first time you use it in a post, and follow it with its acronym/abbreviation in parentheses. If it comes up again in your post... abbreviate away!

So -- in fact -- you will see some of us non-new persons typing these phrases out. Just not enough of us.

And besides... what's the hurry?
Old 03-09-2012, 03:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli-cat View Post
was this a direct fit?...same connectors and everything? Could definitely be worth exploring
No, you need to re solder the plug (male -> female) and pull out the pinion (use lighter to heat it up). For me it is easy to do .
Old 03-09-2012, 06:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dang!, I knew there was a catch....

I wish my basic electronic repair skills were a bit more refined, as it would sure be helpful in this hobby. I can usually solder a wire back on to a motor and such with reasonable success, but other than that I'm pretty much a one-armed Chimpanzee with a soldering iron. I don't EVEN know how you guys can replace these little tiny servos on the 5 in 1 boards without FUBARing the whole darn thing...I lose a servo and it's pretty much "hello all new board"

oh, FUBAR = (fricked) up beyond all repair
Old 03-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi been a while, that is the first time I ever heard of using the mx main motor for the 120 tail,,,,very interesting and creative I might add. I would love to see a photo. further more, you need to crash and do a hard funky chicken to see if it fails like the stock one LOL No just kidding. let us know how many flights it lasts.

I have documented over 130 flights on a single stock tail motor. The old tail wag still exists.

Let us know if the mx motor has this problem / tail wag.

wrong forum I thought I was on the SR forum LOL

Last edited by joeblades; 03-09-2012 at 10:41 AM..
joeblades is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
cool, this is great news

any chance of some pics?
Old 03-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do upload a picture to show mSRx main motor compared with 120 tail motor (without the plastic cap, but i do measure them from the metal part). The mSRx main motor is about 3mm longer than the 120 tail motor. Sorry if the picture is too big

I also use 1200 mAh battery (as its labeled), weight about 2 times stock battery, fly time is about 8~9 min. After a flight both motors get a little bit warm (if i hover, cool->normal if i fly around (both are indoor))

I do not own mQx, but i also think that these motors from mQx are the same as mSRx main motor.

link to bigger img: _http://i.imgur.com/TRKIJ.jpg

Old 03-10-2012, 05:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...x%5F1s%5F.html

Out of stock at the moment, not sure if it's an actual upgrade but at about half price it would be worth a try.
Siberianhusky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I do upload a picture to show mSRx main motor compared with 120 tail motor (without the plastic cap, but i do measure them from the metal part). The mSRx main motor is about 3mm longer than the 120 tail motor. Sorry if the picture is too big

I also use 1200 mAh battery (as its labeled), weight about 2 times stock battery, fly time is about 8~9 min. After a flight both motors get a little bit warm (if i hover, cool->normal if i fly around (both are indoor))

I do not own mQx, but i also think that these motors from mQx are the same as mSRx main motor.

link to bigger img: _http://i.imgur.com/TRKIJ.jpg

do you use the xtreme main motor too?
mine gets pretty hot using the 1000 mah batts with an 8 min flight.
can't wait to have a stab with this motor, only trouble is i can't find one in stock in the uk
think i'll have a look at the mqx ones.

thanks for the info
Old 03-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I swear, it's a communist plot that no one has blades or Extreme motors in stock! Only vendors I find are in Asia or Europe! I think I picked the wrong age to start another hobby. Who am I kidding, I complained about my trains since I created my own railroad!!!!!!!

Then again I think everything is a communist plot.

Retired Flying Squid
Chuchuchip is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

So how is this motor working for those who are using it? Does the connector need to be changed? How are you mounting it? Thanks.

Last edited by bunick; 03-19-2012 at 08:18 PM..
bunick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will the the tail boom from a MSRx work? I haven't figured out what size the MSRx is. I know the 120sr is 3mm I believe.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLADE-BLH320...ht_3221wt_1059
bunick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli-cat View Post
Dang!, I knew there was a catch....

I wish my basic electronic repair skills were a bit more refined, as it would sure be helpful in this hobby. I can usually solder a wire back on to a motor and such with reasonable success, but other than that I'm pretty much a one-armed Chimpanzee with a soldering iron. I don't EVEN know how you guys can replace these little tiny servos on the 5 in 1 boards without FUBARing the whole darn thing...I lose a servo and it's pretty much "hello all new boa

oh, FUBAR = (fricked) up beyond all repair
WORD!!!!!!!!!
tornadojim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in