Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > BCX/CX2/CX3

BCX/CX2/CX3 Blade (eFlite) CX, CX2 and CX3 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Bad Helicopter Day II

There was 0 wind here today and was having a blast with the cx2. I got all the upgrades, extended inner shaft , xtreme motors blades etc.......

I flew at least 125 feet up in the air doing circuts back and forth. if i had a hard time pulling the heli back to me, i would just kill motors and let it drop like a rock down to me and boost throttle when it gets close. This was at work......

I get home and its even calmer out by now so after dinner i bring my 7year old daughter out to show here what my cx2 can do. As i arm the CX2 i notice a neighbor who is out walking his dog stops and is watching what im doing. Well with this audience i felt obliged to put on a show (big mistake).

I throw both sticks full forward and that sucker shoots forward and climbs way up. Once the pendulum effect kicks in i still give it full throttle straight up and start circling around just like i was doing hours earlier at work. All of a sudden the damned CX2 goes into a free fall and plunges back to earth right on to the neighbors roof with a loud thud!

I live in a townhouse so this is not cool at all..... the guy who was walking his dog shook his head and walked off and my daughters lookin at me with that "wth were you thinking?!?" look.

Luckily the people whos roof i smashed into were not home and i know their neighbors who let me onto their deck with my 6' ladder. I was able to climb up on my friends roof and walk over to the adjacent roof to retrieve the mangled corpse of my CX2.

My repair bill looks like this.....

completely smashed canopy
grommet set (lost the rubber thingies that go on the carbon fiber rods)
broken servo
extended inner shaft (bent bad enough that im not gonna bother trying to straighten)
outer shaft
xtreme blades
tailboom fin
battery (took alot of the impact which caused the battery to puff up - not good)

I felt like such a tool but when i saw the guy who posted the original Bad Helicopter Day thread, i felt like i had to come clean to what happened to me lol!

The transmitter read 5.3v ..... do you guys think i just got out of range?
Joseph T. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 06:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

That or you had a radio brown out. It's possible that your servo went bad while flying, which is what caused a brown out and caused the crash. When a servo goes bad, it draws more amps than it should, this can cause the radio to reset in mid air (brown out). Radio resetting while airborne is a really bad thing.

As far as your inner shaft goes, why are you flying one that will bend? The helitek shaft is made out of hardened steel and doesn't have that issue.
barak1001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The way you describe it - full power, high speed - makes me suspect rotor clash.
Instantaneous and distastrous.
There will be cuts or chips on the leading edges of the blades if this was the case.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Barak, i am new on the forums here and after you guys get to know me, you'll quickly learn that i am good at breaking heli parts that arent meant to break! The Inner shaft i was using was the helitek 2.0 of which i can confirm will bend. It bent just above the plastic sleeve pretty good, I quickly ordered another though because i will say that it pretty much takes a fall from 125'+ to bend it!

Im gonna have to rule out the rotor clash though. Im sure you guys would agree that the 2.0 inner shaft pretty much is 100% strike proof although i gotta say that i havnt been beyond the third hole out on the servo arm.

As for the servo going out and causing the radio to reset, i dunno. When i scooped up my bird off the guys roof, the servo in the back was making a whiring noise and when i moved the cyclic up and down, it was trying to move but couldnt. I thought that maybe i stripped the gears inside but maybe its like barak says and coulda simply went bad in midair.

All i know is I had so much fun flying it outside like that and now im playing the waiting game for parts.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is almost impossible to blade strike with a 2.0 supershaft, but not impossible. I've had blade strike with a 2.0 shaft on with one pin on my flybar shaft broken off. So there's another possibility for you, bad flybar.

Never had a blade strike with a 2.0 supershaft otherwise.

I had no idea the helicopter had dropped that far. I can verify that I've had supershafts survive a 50' drop without bending, but 125' is a bit much to ask of any part I think.
barak1001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unhappy

well joe don't feel bad my name is keith.it seems that you are havin major issues with your heli.well i had those my self.2 yrs ago my heli was about 40-50 feet in the air and i did not know that i had a broken blade on my heli was flyin well and when did 90 deg right and i used the cyclic right and the lower blade hit the upper blade and my cx heli went down.at that time i hit the celling in my moblie home but i did not think that i had broke a blade.another time i had hit a tree branch with my heli and the branch got caught under the lower blade and fryed it and i forgot to shut my throttle on my radio.sojoe you are not the only r/c heli pilot that has trouble and issues with there helis.there are other r/c heli pilots that have troble with there helis.so you and i are not the only ones out there joe.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Joseph, that is why you need 2, maybe 3 of these, so there is no waiting game for parts!
whirlydude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlydude View Post
Joseph, that is why you need 2, maybe 3 of these, so there is no waiting game for parts!

My uncle has an original CX with all the upgraded microheli parts and two brand new tenergy batterys still in the package that he's willing to sell me for 60$. Believe me, I've thought about it but i just came home with the Blade SR two weeks ago..... If my wife saw me buy my uncles CX she'd throw a fit.

I fly my SR so conservativly cause im not real good with CP helis. So its awesome having the CX2 for when i feel like tearin it up.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I remember when I was flying collective pitch helis, and then switched back to the cx it always seemed strange not having to control a tail rotor. It's funny how quick the helis start to accumulate once one gets into the hobby. I sold all mine helis except for the cx, and now I'm back to 3 of them. I only fly in the winter months, so that's why I down sized my fleet to a cx, or should I say cx's.
whirlydude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in