Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Turbine Helicopters

Turbine Helicopters Turbine R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Beautiful Turbine UH-1B @ DOGS 2008

Hi all just thought I would post this pic from the DOGS flyin at the US Airforce Museum, Dayton on the weekend. I can't remember the guys name, but I'm sure he will be reconginsed as I think he was at IRCHA in August.. Anyway I think you'll agree this is a fantastic bird...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0022_800_600.jpg
Views:	1135
Size:	609.1 KB
ID:	61322  
OHaussie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That is a UH-1C built from a Len Mount kit by Bill Pirschel from Mt Sterling KY
http://www.jaxrc.com

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 09-07-2008 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: spelling
BarracudaHockey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very very nice ...
Bergen R/C Helicopters -
rkeith2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

If only there was some video too.......
Bell Bloke is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Barracuda,
Thanks for that correction.. and to Bill Herschel..
OHaussie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys first post so go easy on me

I was a Helo pilot in Viet Nahm in 69-70 and again in 72-73
The UH1G see below:
UH-1G: UH-1D/H gunships operating with the Cambodia armed forces were locally given the designation UH-1G.
Please note the UH1D had the long Fuselage:
UH-1D: Initial Bell 205 production model (long fuselage version of the 204). Designed as a troop carrier to replace the CH-34 then in US Army service. 2008 built many later converted to UH-1H standard.
The UH-1B/C only deference the C had the 540 head (No Fly Bar) Pre cursor to the 540 head on the AH-1G
747 Mech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

747Mech

Where were you in country?

Ron
Bergen R/C Helicopters -
rkeith2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ron
On my 69-70 tour I was with the 101st at Camp Eagle (AH-1G Tour). 2nd tour I started with the 1st Cav (UH-1H) and finished with the 325MI in Na Trang.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks a lot for the compliments. That is a UH-1C #137 from the 174th Sharks. I actually talked to two of it's pilots via email and they helped answer questions I had through the build process. It is my first scale heli. This whole thing started from my desire to fly a turbine and one thing led to another. I'll try to post a build thread soon. Nobody spells my name right but it is Pirschel.

Here is the full size. You can't look at it and not be inspired to build a model of it. Next project is building a scale head for it.
Havoc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here's some pictures of mine from IRCHA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UH1C_1.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	62001   Click image for larger version

Name:	UH1C_2.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	62002  
Old 09-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 Mech View Post
Hi guys first post so go easy on me

I was a Helo pilot in Viet Nahm in 69-70 and again in 72-73
The UH1G see below:
UH-1G: UH-1D/H gunships operating with the Cambodia armed forces were locally given the designation UH-1G.
Please note the UH1D had the long Fuselage:
UH-1D: Initial Bell 205 production model (long fuselage version of the 204). Designed as a troop carrier to replace the CH-34 then in US Army service. 2008 built many later converted to UH-1H standard.
The UH-1B/C only deference the C had the 540 head (No Fly Bar) Pre cursor to the 540 head on the AH-1G

As I remember, the difference between the C and the M was the M had the 540 head. The C had the flybar and regular Huey blades. By the way, I got a little AH-1G time at Ft. Rucker when I went through the Cobra course in 1980.
jgunpilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There's some video and some more pictures of it here
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1036
Old 09-16-2008, 08:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Guys I got this from the U.S. Army museum web site, Ft Rucker Al. My memory is getting old like the rest of me but the C is the one pictured but with the “B” head since it has the flybar.
The UH-1C had the 540 head and the -11 engine. The M had the 540 head and the -13 engine.

Bell UH-1B/UH-1C hybrids. Bell Helicopter proposed upgrading UH-1Bs with the "540" rotor system. This modification was made to about four-to-six UH-1Bs in the U.S. The results were promising enough that additional "540" rotor heads were shipped to a very few units in Vietnam. They didn't receive the full UH-1C retrofit: "540" rotor head, new engine, new powertrain, gears, and rotorshaft, bigger canted tail, bigger tail rotor, asymmetric horizontal stabilizers; just the "540" rotor system.

(1) The first UH-1B/UH-1C hybrid was a plain UH-1B with the "540" rotor head only. It was discovered that in Vietnam's "hot and high" flying environment, their performance was marginal, and they could exceed the tail rotor torque limits. Also, they were too heavy for the UH-1B's T53-L-5 960 shp engine.
(2) The second type of hybrid was the UH-1B with the "540" rotor, T53-L-11D 1100 shp engine upgrade, powertrain, and tail rotor. These modifications improved performance, but with the increased torque from the more powerful engine, and larger tail rotor, the tail had to be modified by adding the camber and increasing the width. These modifications were incorporated into what became the UH-1C model. One unit which flew UH-1B/UH-1C hybrids was the 174th Helicopter Assault Co. (UH-1B/UH-1C hybrid info provided courtesy of mailto:guardian6@erols.com).

The Bell UH-1C (1965) could seat nine troops, had the improved rotor and had a greater range. The UH-1C was powered by a single Lycoming T53-L-11D 1100 shp engine. The rotor head was the "540" rotor system, used only on the UH-1C (and the UH-1M). This was the prototype of the rotor system later used, without stabilizer bar and dampers, on the AH-1G Cobra. The chord of the rotor blades (distance from the leading edge to the trailing edge) was much wider on the UH-1C than on all other model Hueys. The UH-1C also featured a brace extending from the aft fuselage to the weapons mount. This support was only used on the UH-1C and the UH-1M, an engine upgrade to the UH-1C.

The UH-1M was a small number of UH-1C models that were upgraded to the more powerful Lycoming T53-L-13B 1400 shp engine for use in Vietnam. The first three UH-1Ms were were equipped with the INFANT (Iroquois Night Fighter and Night Tracker) system for night operations. All remaining UH-1Ms were simply UH-1Cs with the T53-L-13B engine upgrade.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice one Barracuda.

UH-1H and UH-1V are still being used at Ft. Rucker's Flatiron search and rescue.

http://focalplaneimagery.smugmug.com...78070535_Vxmar

I'm not affiliated with them but I did work at Cairns for 19 years with the maintenance contractor and did work on some of the Hueys over the years. Now I just take care of some flight simulators in the nice AIRCONDITIONED building.

Last edited by NolanManley; 09-16-2008 at 04:31 PM..
NolanManley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I believe the experiment was to use wider blades on the B. Not a whole different rotorhead design. The 540 rotor head used on the huey still had the stabilizer bar and dampers and only did away with them for the AH-1G. The B model didn't have enough engine for the wider blades. The C model made it possible. Not all C models had the weapon support brace. #137 did not have the brace. I would have liked to have used one. The B models upgraded to C often kept the B model serial number. The only obvious way to tell a B from a C was the side the fuel filler was on. The C model was the only huey with the fuel filler on the left side.
Havoc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in