Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 200

Hurricane 200 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 250 DFC vs Gaui 200 V2 Flybarless

I am thinking of getting a 200 size heli. I have only been flying a few months. I have a 130x an a 300x that I can fly well doing basic maneuvers. I have been doing some researh on the Trex250 dfc and I have read the Trex seems to have tail wag issues. I cant seem to find alot about the Gaui 200. Anyone have any complaints on the Gaui or advice about these two helis? Also which one may be a better flying heli or easier to work on?
MADCRASH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have both, but in the Flybarred versions (T-Rex250SE and Gaui 200 V2). Both fly well once properly set up. The T-Rex has a higher disk loading and needs high headspeed to fly well.
The Gaui feels a bit more responsive to me.

The Gaui 200 is discontinued though parts are still available. They come up for sale in the classifieds once in a while.2S batteries for it are cheap.

The Gaui X2 flies quote "floaty" with the 255 blades. Uses 3S batteries like the T-Rex250.

All of them are fiddly to work on due to the small size of the parts. But, I like them all; they have their own character and are fun to fly in small fields/yards. You won't go wrong with any of them, I think.

Bill
BillG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADCRASH View Post
I am thinking of getting a 200 size heli. I have only been flying a few months. I have a 130x an a 300x that I can fly well doing basic maneuvers. I have been doing some researh on the Trex250 dfc and I have read the Trex seems to have tail wag issues. I cant seem to find alot about the Gaui 200. Anyone have any complaints on the Gaui or advice about these two helis? Also which one may be a better flying heli or easier to work on?
I have a 130X with HP08 motor, a FBL Gaui EP200 with a 250DFC links (3S motor) and a Gaui X2 FBL.

X2 has exceptionally low disk load. It is floaty compared to the others and does decent autorotations if one is careful with the collective stick. On the other hand - it is a seriously fast heli and gains speed really quickly so you you will need more space for flying.

EP200 is a nice heli with a 3S motor (underpowered on 2S). Finding spare parts is getting harder and harder because it is a discontinued model. It is not as floaty but thanks to higher disk load EP200 is actually more relaxed in strong wind than the X2. It doesn't do autos. I have no experience on Trex 250 but I assume that it has similar characteristics.

130X is toyish compared to the others and a poor performer in strong wind but takes crashes much better. I use my 130X for FPV and practically never crash my heli. I am still amazed how quickly my 130X wears out without crashing (links, servos, bearings, frame... you name it)! A decent 200-250 class heli don't wear out that fast but an average crash with EP200 or X2 means a broken one way bearing, a bent main shaft, a couple of broken link ends and a cracked canopy. All 200-250 class helis require percect balancing and regular maintenance to fly well. Tiny 1.4mm screws are pita to deal with. It is relatively easy to strip threads from CNC frame blocks and tail block. Furthermore, X2 suffers of weak tail belt that wears out far too quickly. 3mm dia main shaft is too weak for 250mm blades, too. It tends to bend even in a minor crash.

BTW, MSH miniProtos is a little bit larger (325 - 350mm blades) but it is a a true low-maintanance heli. It is really quiet, flies well and is relatively cheap to crash. I have done absolute zero maintenance to mine since the last crash in June 2012. Nowadays practically every one in my RC club owns one and all of them are really satisfied! Stretch it to 350mm and you will get an absolutely awesome heli! It needs roughly equal area for flying as Gaui X2 but thanks to bigger size, you will see it even from a longer distance.

Last edited by Picofly; 05-31-2013 at 08:37 AM..
Picofly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 06:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gaui 200 3S FBL

That's a great answer from Picofly. I agree with all of that. I have a Gaui 200 that is now running a Scorpion 3900kv 3S motor and has a Spektrum AR7200BX FBL controller. To keep it current, I have put on the X2 head and tail. These are stronger and still available as spares. I hope to be able to keep it running for a few years yet as I much prefer it over a Trex250. Would like to see Gaui bring out an updated 200.

Spencer
smith.sd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith.sd View Post
That's a great answer from Picofly. I agree with all of that. I have a Gaui 200 that is now running a Scorpion 3900kv 3S motor and has a Spektrum AR7200BX FBL controller. To keep it current, I have put on the X2 head and tail. These are stronger and still available as spares. I hope to be able to keep it running for a few years yet as I much prefer it over a Trex250. Would like to see Gaui bring out an updated 200.

Spencer
Is this x2 head and tail a direct bolt up job? You still using the 200mm blades?
robl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 250 DFC vs Gaui 200 V2 Flybarless

The gaui x2 tail is solid and performs great (I fly the gaui200 using the x2 tail).

But if you have a good lhs that keeps a good parts stock that is something to consider. I've had to stockpile parts due to availability problems. I have always been able to find parts but have had to use several venders.

Chief
BHChieftain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
The gaui x2 tail is solid and performs great (I fly the gaui200 using the x2 tail).

But if you have a good lhs that keeps a good parts stock that is something to consider. I've had to stockpile parts due to availability problems. I have always been able to find parts but have had to use several venders.

Chief
What about the head? Direct bolt on as well? The tail you just bolted on? no modifications necessary? Don't those need a third pulley or something from what I've read?

You have a LHS that stocks gaui? Here they stock blade, if you lucky Align as well.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I meant that if the OP has a LHS that stocks TREX 250 parts, then that might be a better choice over the Gaui (I like the Gaui better, but quick and easy access to parts is worth a lot...)

On the tail, you just need a shim so it fits the slightly smaller diameter tail boom of the 200. If you search on Gaui 200 parts, tt is sold as the "bobby watts tail upgrade", or "integrated tail upgrade" for the 200 and that comes with the shim.

I don't know about the head. But if you are using the X2 head and X2 tail then at this point why not just get an X2 kit.

I am still flying the 200 as I like flybar better, and I have a fairly extensive stockpile of spares which should keep me in the air for a few years...

Chief
Old 09-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
I meant that if the OP has a LHS that stocks TREX 250 parts, then that might be a better choice over the Gaui (I like the Gaui better, but quick and easy access to parts is worth a lot...)

On the tail, you just need a shim so it fits the slightly smaller diameter tail boom of the 200. If you search on Gaui 200 parts, tt is sold as the "bobby watts tail upgrade", or "integrated tail upgrade" for the 200 and that comes with the shim.

I don't know about the head. But if you are using the X2 head and X2 tail then at this point why not just get an X2 kit.

I am still flying the 200 as I like flybar better, and I have a fairly extensive stockpile of spares which should keep me in the air for a few years...

Chief
I don't like the size of the x2,want to stick with 200mm blades, even seriously considering the blade 130x for the size and I hate blade.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hear you-- the 200 is great-- I am really bummed Gaui discontinued this size...
I'm not sure how long parts will be available for it so that is something to consider as well.

Chief

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in