Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spartan RC

Spartan RC Spartan RC - Quark, DS760 Gyros and other Spartan RC Electronics Factory Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #41 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Here is a quick guide to preparing the DataPod for use with the Vortex VX1.

From the spartan-rc website:

"As production runs of the DataPod and Vortex don't coincide it is highly probable that you will need to update built-in software of your DataPod before you can use it with the Vortex. Often this also needs to be done after updating the firmware of your Vortex."

Visit THIS page to locate and download the Vortex Editor App. for DataPod. Once you have downloaded the Editor file, run it on your PC and you will see the following window. Notice how it says "DataPod: Not found" and the "Start Update" button will be greyed out.

At this point you will use a standard USB Mini-B cable to connect the DataPod to your computer. Be sure to press and hold the "S" button on the top of the DataPod while connecting the cable. The DataPod will receive power through the USB cable, and you will see that the previous window now shows "DataPod: Connected" and the "Start Update" button will be active. There will also be some information about your DataPod displayed in the upper right portion of the window.

Now you will click the "Start Update" button and the Editor file will update the DataPod with the latest software/firmware to make it compatible with the Vortex. You will notice a progress bar in the window that shows the status of the update. Also, if you happen to observe the LCD display on the DataPod during the update, you will notice some activity there as well. Once finished, a message will display "Update completed successfully. Disconnect and power off." At this point all that is left to do is to disconnect the USB cable.

Your DataPod should now be ready for use with the Vortex VX1 or VX1n.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DataPodupdate1small.jpg
Views:	1613
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	375463   Click image for larger version

Name:	DataPodupdate2small.jpg
Views:	1605
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	375464   Click image for larger version

Name:	DataPodupdate3small.jpg
Views:	1664
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	375465  

Last edited by Bob O; 04-01-2014 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: include VX1n in description
Bob O is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the update guide Bob. Your effort is much appreciated... but I think you've just volunteered to do the next one too

Cheers,
-Angelos

Angelos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob O,

I followed your instructions for updating my DataPad to work with the Vortex.

But now how do I get it back to working with my Quark gyros again?
iKON DX9
Greg B is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #44 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
Bob O,

I haven't tried it, but the DataPod should be interchangeable with the different Spartan products. Let me get my boy into bed and I'll connect a DS760 to mine and see if it recognizes it. It should. I'll post back here shortly.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #45 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Bob O,

I'm stumped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
I haven't tried it, but the DataPod should be interchangeable with the different Spartan products. Let me get my boy into bed and I'll connect a DS760 to mine and see if it recognizes it. It should. I'll post back here shortly.
I used this exact DataPod with a Quark when I first got it, so I know it works. Here's the proof:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...37#post3703537

But after updating the DataPod with the Vortex file, I can't get it to do anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos View Post
Thanks for the update guide Bob. Your effort is much appreciated... but I think you've just volunteered to do the next one too

Cheers,
-Angelos
Maybe not, Angelos. I can't figure out how to install the Virtual Flash Link.

I went through the knowledge base over and over. I tried following these steps:

Step 1: Download the "Virtual Flash-Link Driver" from the DataPod Downloads page. The ZIP file contails two files which you should extract to a folder on your computer.

Step 2: Plug the DataPod to a USB port of your computer and step through the installation process as needed. Direct windows to the driver files when requested.

I downloaded the ZIP file just fine and extracted the two files to a folder. But on Step 2, no matter how I connected the DataPod, there was never an installation process. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. I also tried it on another computer with Windows XP SP3 and same results.

If I pressed "S" and plugged the USB cable in, all it did was display USB on the DataPod screen. If I didn't press any buttons, I got this other message and then nothing else would happen.

When connecting the DS760 to the DataPod, I got the message Lost Comms.

I thought the DataPod could be used to adjust a parameter on the Vortex, then turn right around and use it on say a Quark, the go right back to the Vortex for some more tuning. I'm probably missing something.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vx1info.jpg
Views:	1600
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	375590  
Old 12-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice features.
guruduck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 05:30 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice work, Bob!

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob O, Thanks for checking it out.
That is my exact same experiance with the DatPod when trying to now use it with the Quark or trying to reinstall the Flash-Link. Plus I can't find the DataPod Update Tool on the Spartan website to try that.
iKON DX9
Old 12-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #49 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Bob O, Thanks for checking it out.
That is my exact same experiance with the DatPod when trying to now use it with the Quark or trying to reinstall the Flash-Link. Plus I can't find the DataPod Update Tool on the Spartan website to try that.
Right. The only file I could locate that would actually run and update the DataPod was the VX1 file. I couldn't find the DataPod Update Tool anywhere.

My DataPod obviously functions in Bridge Mode, but the Virtual Flash Link option isn't working to the best I can tell, otherwise I should be able to have a direction connection to the DS760 without using the computer, which I can't use either because either way I get the Lost Comms message.

I'm sure Angelos will tell us what's going on, tell us what we might be doing wrong, help us out, etc. Until then I have two thoughts. One is that the DataPod can only have one Editor on it at a time, which means it can only be used for that particular device. Second thought is that it can have more than one Editor on it and I'm just not doing something properly with it.

FAQ131
Check your DataPod

Power on your DataPod whilst holding the [+] button pressed. The screen should display "Editor for ds760 and Quark" and the version number must be 1.10 or newer. If your DataPod is running a different software or an older version use the "DataPod Update Tool" to load the correct version.

When I follow the above step, all I get is the VX1 message.

FAQ132
Virtual Flash-Link - A functionality of the DataPod that makes it appear as a serial (COM) port on your computer, thus allowing the ds760 and Quark firmware update and parameter editor programs to communicate with the gyro through the DataPod. Virtual Flash-Link is part of the DataPod application "Editor for ds760 and Quark" and was introduced in version 1v10. It supports both Duplex and Simplex modes without additional harware adapters.

I can't find the Editor for DS760 and Quark to install. It was on the unit when I got it (mine was a pre-release unit), maybe it got overwritten by the VX1 file.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well I have started to hook up my VX1, and have now got to the point where I need to make the Datapod work.

Do I need to update or not? So, I figure it can't hurt, I'll follow Bob's instructions. Sadly when I run the .exe file, DataPod_Update_Tool.exe, I get the following error. Anyone got any clues? It does this on my host windows 7 PC, or my guest virtual XP machine. This is before I have plugged anything in. This is just trying to run the executable.

I'm confused.

Thanks in advance.

Sutty
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 20 17.37.gif
Views:	1244
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	375682  
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sutty, install the microsoft redistributable. There is a link for it just below the software download on our website.

I will reply to the other questions this evening after dinner.

-Angelos

Old 12-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Angelos. Taking a look now.

Cheers

Sutty
Old 12-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That did the trick. If only I could read.

Sorry.

Cheers

Sutty
Old 12-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't know about windows 7 but on vista auto install failed because it couldn't find the drivers.I had to go into the control panel and updates the drivers from there it was easy to find it had the yellow x.Then when I installed the windows software for the quark it would not connect to that, Figured out it installed the flashlink on com6 and the software only had the option for com4 went back in CP changed the port to com 4 and now all works fine and I was able to update my Quark firmware which was the reason I bought and that is finally working for me. YEH
Markmcpx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #55 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmcpx View Post
I don't know about windows 7 but on vista auto install failed because it couldn't find the drivers.I had to go into the control panel and updates the drivers from there it was easy to find it had the yellow x.Then when I installed the windows software for the quark it would not connect to that, Figured out it installed the flashlink on com6 and the software only had the option for com4 went back in CP changed the port to com 4 and now all works fine and I was able to update my Quark firmware which was the reason I bought and that is finally working for me. YEH
When you press and hold the + button while powering on the DataPod, does it show Editors for both Quark and Vortex?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry for the late reply. The DataPod has limited resources as to how many products it can accommodate. Theoretically speaking it could accommodate ds760, Quark, Virtual Flash-Link, a governor and an ESC all in one application. However a flybarles system like the Vortex already includes several subsystems (rotor, tail, governor, receiver selection, setup, vibration analysis etc). It is not possible to fit all that plus Quark, ds760 and Virtual-Flash-Link all in the same application.

I just uploaded the ds760/Quark editor on the Spartan website and you can change between them any time. http://www.spartan-rc.com/products/d...atapod.php?p=5

Cheers,
Angelos

Old 12-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #57 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Thanks for the answer, Angelos.

On a related question, when updates come for the Vortex, will the DataPod be able to update it in Bridge mode?

ADDED:

Nevermind, I found the answer.

http://www.spartan-rc.com/resources/...32&category=26
Old 12-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Angelos,
Thanks for the answer.
iKON DX9
Old 08-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #59 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Used the DataPod today while helping a new heli flyer set up his first CP heli. :-)

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1408067470514.jpg
Views:	1161
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	528944

Sent via phone
Old 08-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just bought a brand new DataPod and Vortex VX1e at the IRCHA Jamboree 2014. Will I still need to install the Vortex software to the DataPod?
wacojoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in