Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > MSH Brain FBL Unit

MSH Brain FBL Unit MSH Brain Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default micro Ikon rudder issue

My micro Ikon has been flying well on my TRex 450 since July. I just removed the 3 blade head I had on it and reinstalled the standard Align DFC head after a month or so. Now heading hold is very poor. After tweaking it holds heading in a hover, but with a large collective input it will spin all the way around. Removing the servo and using the Ikon software, I can adjust the travel to about 90 degrees in one direction. But I can only get about 20 degrees of movement in the other direction and the "+" and "-" buttons have no effect. Clicking the "Reverse Servo" button reverses that, so the servo itself seems to be working.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Roger
Roger Fowler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2016, 06:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you are getting 90 degrees in one direction and 20 in the other? I can only assume you mean the mechanical adjustment of the tail. If so, and don't see how you get that much movement, you need to adjust the rod length, or servo position on the boom, to get equal movement in both directions.

Once you have that, then you adjust in panel 8 with +/- to get full movement along the shaft in both directions without binding.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clarification:

This started because I was unable to adjust the tail endpoints. So for troubleshooting I did the following:

1) I disconnected the tail pushrod and removed the tail servo from the helicopter without disconnecting the electrical cable.
2) I went to the tail servo panel and moved the stick full left. The "+" and "-" buttons allowed me to adjust the servo so that the horn moved about 90 degrees from the center position.
3) I moved the stick full right and the servo horn moved about 20 degrees from the center position. It also moved a lot slower. The "+" and "-" buttons did not have any effect on the servo. The horn remained at the same (20 degree) position after repeated clicks on both buttons.

4) I clicked the "Reverse" button. Then left stick caused the servo to travel right 90 degrees and was adjustable with the "+" and "-" buttons. Right stick caused the servo to travel left 20 degrees and the "+" and "-" buttons had no effect on the position of the control horn. So it appears the servo is capable of moving full travel in both directions.

For reference, the transmitter setup shows about 50% travel with both left and right stick, so the Ikon is seeing the right (or at least approximately equal) inputs both right and left.

Regards,
Roger
Old 11-06-2016, 08:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Fowler View Post
Clarification:

This started because I was unable to adjust the tail endpoints. So for troubleshooting I did the following:

1) I disconnected the tail pushrod and removed the tail servo from the helicopter without disconnecting the electrical cable.
2) I went to the tail servo panel and moved the stick full left. The "+" and "-" buttons allowed me to adjust the servo so that the horn moved about 90 degrees from the center position.
3) I moved the stick full right and the servo horn moved about 20 degrees from the center position. It also moved a lot slower. The "+" and "-" buttons did not have any effect on the servo. The horn remained at the same (20 degree) position after repeated clicks on both buttons.

4) I clicked the "Reverse" button. Then left stick caused the servo to travel right 90 degrees and was adjustable with the "+" and "-" buttons. Right stick caused the servo to travel left 20 degrees and the "+" and "-" buttons had no effect on the position of the control horn. So it appears the servo is capable of moving full travel in both directions.

For reference, the transmitter setup shows about 50% travel with both left and right stick, so the Ikon is seeing the right (or at least approximately equal) inputs both right and left.

Regards,
Roger

In Ikon transmitter setup, Panel 5, travel HAS to be 100% in both directions, AND moving in the correct direction. If direction is wrong, THIS is the ONLY place to reverse a direction in your transmitter. After Panel 5, all reversals are done in the software.
As far as mechanical setup, after initialization or in rate mode, is your servo horn 90 degrees to the servo case?
Old 11-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1. You should go back to panel 5 and get everything working correctly there first. When you put it in check mode, or go to panel 8, the servo horn should be 90 to the servo. If it isn't this is where you adjust position on the boom and/or rod length. FWIW, not sure if I have any tail servo that moves a full 90 degrees, they do however will get full deflection of the slider on the shaft in both directions.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, the servo arm is 90 degrees to the case after initialization.

My thinking at this time is to return to factory defaults and remove dual rates, etc., from the transmitter. Then start a new setup from scratch.

Roger
Old 11-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, D/R should be disabled or all at 100% in your tx. Also should remove all expo as the FBL will put in expo as a default. Okay to put in your tx, but if you do remove from the FBL that way you are controlling in one place and not adding in, in two locations.

Factory default isn't a bad idea, but personally if this is the only is the only issue you are having, maybe not necessary.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you sure to have selected the correct center pulse for your tail servo?
BrainDev is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Micro Ikon Rudder Issue - Solved

Fixed it, finally. Selected 760 for the rudder center, then selected 1520 again. Problem solved. I guess it was actually at 760 center even though the software indicated it was on 1520.

Roger
Old 11-25-2016, 02:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Fixed it, finally. Selected 760 for the rudder center, then selected 1520 again. Problem solved. I guess it was actually at 760 center even though the software indicated it was on 1520.

Roger
??? Which tail servo is?
Old 11-28-2016, 05:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The tail servo is the Align servo that is recommended for a TRex 450 Pro.

Regards,
Roger
Old 11-28-2016, 10:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Roger
As you can see in our "Servo List" chart, all Align servos, also that specific for tail, are all with 1520uS center pulse.
So, software indicates it was on 1520 because this is the correct value for tail with Align servos.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agreed, 1520 is the correct value. That is why I checked repeatedly that 1520 was highlighted in the software. Unfortunately it acted like it was set for 760. When I intentionally selected 760, then selected 1520, it started working correctly. So the issue is now resolved and I will fly it again at my next opportunity.

Regards,
Roger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in