Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Castle Gov any good?

So how is the Castle Gov working? Years ago it didn't work that great and the Jive Mode 4 was the "way to go". Now with V Bar Gov... I've read a lot of people are using it and loving it. Castle has put the sensor cable on their new Edge ESC's to accomodate. Has the Castle Gov gotten any better?
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 04:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

WOW you have been away for a long time. The Castle governor has been the best in the industry for the past 2 or three years. Also the hardware improvements with the new Edge series have improved all the functions.

The problem with Kontronics is they have increased the price so much that no one buys them these days.

RC Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

SET RPM mode. All you need to know brotha! I am replacing the Kontronik on my Warp with a Castle because of all it's functionality! Datalogging is a huge one. But the setup for the gov. is amazing. Punch in your lipo specs, motor specs, and gear tooth counts, and BAM, pick 3 headspeeds. Set your radio to N-30% 1-70% and 2-100%. Go fly! You will need to tune the gov gain but it's worth it. Attached is a CC log file. Download castle link from the website, change the file extension from the file I just uploaded from .TXT to .CSV and open it in Castle Link Log Viewer. Pulling 150a and only losing maybe 100RPM :-)

Log file is here
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=608992
I_Bent_It is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

For price, ease of use, quality of product, features, and customer service, CC is hard to beat. Sure there are lots of brands that excel at one of these things, but none are as good at all of them.

As for Governing RPM, CC ESCs do a fantastic job. Maybe not best of breed, but excellent nonetheless. As BENT mentioned, set RPM is fantastic, but you also have other governing options depending on what you prefer.

The only downside, which really is more operator error than ESC issue, is if you gear for high speed and throttle low for low headspeed to compensate, the ESC will have issues. You need to ensure that whatever headspeed you decide requires at least 70% actual throttle, and that you use the right pinion.

The logging is a tweakers dream.

I have no issues recommending a CC in pretty any heli application. I do recommend that you get an Edge series over the Ice series to take advantage of the latest features, even though there are still lots of Ice out there on the market. I know a bunch of people who had the Ice 120 and Castle replaced them with Edge 120 free of charge (well you had to cover shipping of course).

Last edited by RudeRebel; 04-05-2014 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: Correction of autocorrection, LOL
RudeRebel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

There were some issues here or there of failures
Add the hearsay factor and panic then devide by 98percent and you have the actuall failure rate then take that number and the number of units sold makes them fan freeking tastic and for me a company answering the phone when you call these days ... is a Wow i have zero set rpm issues
I would never buy a kontronic anything.
I Do have a YGE and i like the active freewheel but it too is twice as much ...

So for me castle = hi quality for the right price ..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
kayakboy69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Needed to do this post to correct other post which I also corrected. For some reason my tablet auto corrected my DO into a DON'T. CC ESC's DO a fantastic job governing.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think for sport flying and light 3D the gov works great. The problem I was having with mine was on hard fast pitch changes, the gov could not keep up. I have now went through my FBL for the gov and it is much better.
Trex 450 Sport FBL w/ SK540
Futaba 14SG
Vermillionx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermillionx View Post
I think for sport flying and light 3D the gov works great. The problem I was having with mine was on hard fast pitch changes, the gov could not keep up. I have now went through my FBL for the gov and it is much better.
The reason for that happening is either,
lack of head room
gearing - most important

Watch nick maxwell fly, the gov doesn't miss a beat!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in