Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters > 600 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

600 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 600 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2015, 10:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 600L dominator - motor / esc question

Hi,

Just waiting on my 600L dominator delivery and doing some research on motor and esc.

The motor 750MX has a continuous output capability of 100A, yet they have paired the upgraded motor with the CC Edge HV 80 which has a capability of 80A continuous.

Am I missing something. Should I sell and go to the Edge HV 120?

Under what conditions am I likely to pull more than 80A assuming max headspeed of around 2350-2400?

Will be feeding the gpro and receiver off a receiver battery.

Thanks.
nabl74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

How much current a motor will use depends greatly on the load with which it sustains. That means, that though the motor is capable of pulling 100A continuous, it will not necessarily do so on a smaller helicopter. That motor was intended for a 700 class heli.

Align was right using the 80A ESC especially if you're using V curves. I rip big air 3D at 2500 rpm on my 600L and the motor uses about 40A continuous, 100A peak. These are tiny amounts of current and the 80A ESC is not even being tested. It operates well under 150 degrees F.

If you use the governor, the current will be higher and you'll probably need to turn off over current protection to keep it from current warning beeps after flight. But it still works and its the right ESC. By the way though, the CC governor doesn't work well on the stock gearing. It needs another tooth on the pinion.

You'll never get the 600L to pull 80A continuous. The disc is not big enough. You may, however get it to spike current high enough to trip over current protection. Which is why Castle says to set it to insensitive or turn if off entirely. Its not a helicopter feature.
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2015, 06:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

As RC/DC says, the Edge 80 is fine. You would have to fly pretty hard to exceed 80A in bursts and to exceed continuously is impossible.

Any motor rating is the maximum it's makers claim that it's capable of safely taking. That doesn't imply that it will actually pull that many amps in any particular heli. The current it pulls in reality is purely dependant on the load you put on it, it could pull less or it could even pull more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in