Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 130X

130X Blade 130X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Radio preference for 130X

Been out of the hobby for awhile and now looking to get this heli but I need a radio. What would be the better radio choice for this bird:
Spektrum DX7S or the DX6i?
nitronuts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get what you can afford... the DX6i is a great radio for little money but the higher level radios also give you other benefits of downloading profiles from online.

GSPI is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPI View Post
Get what you can afford... the DX6i is a great radio for little money but the higher level radios also give you other benefits of downloading profiles from online.
I can afford either, was wondering if the DX7s would allow for more fine tuning. I also like the idea of downloading profiles, that would save a lot of time tweaking I suppose.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 6i and an 8. The 6i is a decent radio for sure, but it is nowhere near as good as the 8 (and I would assume by extension the 7S). I got my 6i as a backup, and it does the job, but it's menu structure and the amount of data shown to you on a screen at any time are nothing like the 7S/8 menus. I also like the sticks far better on the 8, but I'm not 100% either way as to if the sticks are the same on the two.
I switched to the 8 after years on a Futaba 9C, even going so far as to get the spektrum module for the 9C. The 8 is every bit as nice of a radio as the 9C was.
koko76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on the 8 if money is no issue. I've had the DX6i for a year plus and the DX8 around 2 months.

I find I can hover my mCPx with very small stick movements on the DX8 that would not register on the DX6i. The smallest possible correction seems a little smaller on the DX8 than on the DX6i. It would be like if the DX6i counts from zero to 100 in whole number increments (100 graduations) and the DX8 counts in increments of 0.5 (200 total graduations). I don't know what the specs are or if there is any difference, I'm just describing my perceptions based on experience.
megawhacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with the other assessments. I've had a DX6 & now have a DX8. The DX7S is supposed to be closer to the 8 as far as programmability & functions. The greatest benefit, in my opinion, is that will the 7s or 8, you get advanced funcions such as independent servo subtrims, swashplate E-ring lockout protection & customizable alarms. For sure the SD card for backing up your models & doing firmware updates is a huge plus.

The DX6, DX7S & DX8 will all fly this heli, but I'd probably go with the DX8. You'll have a much larger range of helis you can fly in the future (I have 5 bade helis, a T-Rex 550, and 2 planes - all controlled with the DX8), and you can find a practically new DX8 on here or RCGroups for around $250-$275.
MeatRocket is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on the Dx8.

The only reason why you would get a dx6i is if you just want a spectrum controller for the blade stuff and a futaba or something else for any other heli you get. I got a Dx6i when I first started a year and a half ago then a Dx8 at the begging of this year and am loving it and will likely never need another one.

Also you can find new Dx8 only packages for 290 on some sites... forgot the site but its been mentioned and is where I got mine.
BurritoSnake is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurritoSnake View Post
Also you can find new Dx8 only packages for 290 on some sites... forgot the site but its been mentioned and is where I got mine.
You're probably talking about Ampdraw.com - Their price is $302 after you put it in the cart. They have excellent prices on a lot of stuff. The new Blade 130X is $232 through them.
MeatRocket is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

hmmm interesting, I wasnt even thinking the dx8, kinda thought it would be "overkill" if you would, for this bird. But after reading your responses, Im going to take a look at the 8 now. I used to fly with the DX7 and loved it, but did some research on the 7s and it seems like a great radio as well.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought a DX8 originally when I was having a tough time with my mSRX and the stock toy transmitter with the idea I'd likely going to be buying bigger things later. It's a great transmitter and I'd highly recommend. Now using it with a couple of brushless mCPX's and 2 450's in addition to still throwing around the mSRX occasionally. It's a great transmitter. Consult ampdraw or big sky hobby for pricing as I recall.
Chris Gardill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

The JR 9503 is great and will bind with the 130X no problem, I'm using the JR 11X a little overkill for the 130X, but I'm also using it on my big heli's and planes. The DX8 is a nice radio too, but I really like the JR feel and high quality.
www.fvrcf.com
rogersrick123 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Architect of Ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersrick123 View Post
The JR 9503 is great and will bind with the 130X no problem, I'm using the JR 11X a little overkill for the 130X, but I'm also using it on my big heli's and planes. The DX8 is a nice radio too, but I really like the JR feel and high quality.
Either one of these radios will serve you very well from now on if need be. Hopefully, your lhs will have both and you can put them in your hands and fondle them. Also hook them up to a neck strap if they will let you. Whichever one rocks your boat at that point will be the one for you.

I was on the fence between the two and went with the DX8 because it just felt a tiny bit better in my hands and the neckstrap balance was perfect. Great radio, as is the JR.
Phoenix Sim, DX8, Gibson Les Paul, AMA #987871
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal." Thomas Jefferson
Maypole is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went from DX7 to a DX8. DX8 is much easier to program due to roller button.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedsprint View Post
I went from DX7 to a DX8. DX8 is much easier to program due to roller button.
He is looking at a 7s which does have a roller.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/products/d...prodid=spm7800
Good radio and seems like a perfect fit for this heli and plenty of room for additional and bigger models. Between myself and the group that I fly with I think we have own every flavor of spektrum radio and we are happy with them. Even the 8. After sending it in for recall it has been flawless for hundreds of flights. If you want to spoil your self, go for an 11X, but it really is overkill for this bird. But I love mine and should never have to buy another radio.
jlharv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #16 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Not the I have a lot of experience with Spek's, but I picked up a 7s a few weeks ago in case I want to get a 130X and to fly some of the HH stuff I've had on a LP5DSM and its certainly a radio that will give you all you would need.

I don't its up to you but from what I've seen the Dx6 has a good amount thats lacking. If all you were to ever us it for is the 130 or maybe the mCPx, then it might be OK, but I wouldn't be surprised if you wanted the Tx for more down the road and the Dx6 is limited as well as has not had the best track record for glitches and weak signal issues.

Then for the 8, that certainly would be the best of all of the above, but it does get into a pretty higher number for something that you are only going to use for a mini helo or two.

I guess in the end, I might look hard at the Dx7s, as while the 8 might have a little more, its not hugely better, but is much better then a 6 so could certainly control the 130 very well as well as some other stuff you might get down the road.
WBFAir is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Another vote for the DX8 if money isn't an issue. I have owned the dx6i, dx7(not s) and currently fly with the dx8. It really does feel much better in my hands and programming could not be easier.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

"overkill for this bird" this makes no sense. None of these radios are overkill, they can all be used for other helis. I use my 9503 for my 7HV and 6HV does it make it overkill to use with the 130x?

Now if you fly futaba, airtronics, hitech, etc. and are just looking for a 1 heli radio to use for this heli I'd say don't waste your money just get a dx6i or better yet get a used, original, dx7.
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor 22 View Post
"overkill for this bird" this makes no sense. None of these radios are overkill, they can all be used for other helis. I use my 9503 for my 7HV and 6HV does it make it overkill to use with the 130x?

Now if you fly futaba, airtronics, hitech, etc. and are just looking for a 1 heli radio to use for this heli I'd say don't waste your money just get a dx6i or better yet get a used, original, dx7.
Good point
Old 05-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree!! You should get a nice Futaba radio for the stuff you don't want to crash due to radio issues and a DX6I for all of the BNF stuff HH sells.
I have had the DX7, DX7s, DX6i and the DX8 and for the money the DX6i is the best of the bunch and the DX7s is a close second. Yes I have sent the DX6i back a couple of times for hardware updates, but its a Spektrum radio and that is to be expected.
If I had to rate the Spektrum radios I have had from best to worst it would go like this:

1. DX6i- least trublesome of the bunch, Best bang for the buck..
2. DX7s- As good as the DX6i, but way too expencive for what you get.
3. DX7- The most dificult of the bunch to program and very cheap feeling.
4. DX8- The worst of the bunch for reliability, price and quality! If you don't like your aircraft...by all means get this radio.

This rating is based on my experience and you mileage may very
jdanks is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in