Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

View Poll Results: Which heli is better for learning (outside at a park)
mSR 2 28.57%
120 SR 5 71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question mSR vs. 120 SR

I'm looking to get a small heli for my wife and wanted something that's fun, easy to learn with and can stand up to a little wind. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the mSR or the 120 SR.

We have the mCP X, but it's a bit hard to fly, so I wanted to switch to a fixed pitch heli. I already have batteries for the mSR, but the 120 SR is a bit bigger and seems like it would stand up to wind better than the mSR and be a little more realistic.

Any suggestions?
HeliHelp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The msr is more durable, as in almost indestructible, and probably easier to fly. But outside it can handle a slight breeze but not much. It can be flown inside safely.
InFocus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think the 120sr because it is durable and forgiving for a new flyer.

I went with the 120sr because of size mainly. it's a really good heli. Only downfall is that it isn't really ment to fly like crazy inside. If you just want inside fun then the msr is great.

I will be picking up a msr for winter time so I can still get my heli fix on
CarCrazy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFocus View Post
The msr is more durable, as in almost indestructible, and probably easier to fly. But outside it can handle a slight breeze but not much. It can be flown inside safely.
Can the 120 handle a good size wind?
Old 09-10-2011, 04:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
I had the exact same question about the wind, and the answer I got is that 120sr + noob pilot can handle 0 to 3 mph wind. With advanced settings and incredible pilot it can fly in strong winds, but imo it's not so much flying as jumping from one gust to another in order to get back to the center of your flying area. Still impressive though, you can find vids on YouTube.
Still, it will be much worse than your mCPx against the wind.

About the realistic part, I don't really see a difference between the msr and the 120sr, base principles are the same (FP, therefore less realistic than FP), and I think both can be equipped with scale bodies (hard to find).

I have the exact same issue as you and was gonna buy a 120sr, but two weeks of hard rain/wind made me reconsider the msr :/
At least I have decided on the Tx !
Coucou is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My vote is for the mSR as a beginner heli. IMO, the most important thing you need to get a feel for as a beginner is your orientations, and the mSR can help you/your wife do that inside and out.

Sure, the 120SR is fun, especially since it's bigger, but I wouldn't want to be banging that thing around in my living room while learning (my wife would kill me ). Also, even though it's bigger, it really doesn't handle the wind much better than an mSR, so your outdoor flying is limited.

I would get the mSR and then move her up to a mCPx.
TenS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Went with the mSR

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I went ahead an purchased the mSR after reading your suggestions and information. It'll be nice to have a heli that can withstand some small winds and be flown in the house too. I opted for something indestructable, affordable and that I already have batteries for.

Thanks again!
Old 09-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I flew though 6 batteries last night... 3 on the MSR then 3 on the 120SR.

I love the MSR because its small and yet so functional, it flies really well for its size but at the end of the day its small and light and sometimes I feel its flight affected by its own wind. The 120SR is a significantly better bird, Though its bigger and heavier than the MSR it holds up very well to damage. When we have guys night I usually take my MSR and my 120SR as beater heli's (my boys cant fly) and they bang them both up...typically by the end of the night...everyone is flying and re-charging the 120 because its drunken flight characteristics are so superior to the MSR. I wish they would hurry up and come out with a 120SR size flybarless, CP Heli....now that would be cool.

Side Note: I've scratches in my flat TV's glass (ok plastic) screen from crashing my 120SR in it while learning to fly while the MSR left no damage. This is something you might also want to consider if you have one of "those" type of wives ;-)
dendenyc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in