Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Unlikely part failure

Unlikely part failure

Well I had a strange one this morning my Trex 500 brothers...

I was doing my second flight, first flight was good, I just did a back flipping pass from left to right. At the end, off to my right I threw a half piro flip to right side up. The tail felt odd, when I let off the rudder the tail kept turning.It's a good thing I practice lots of piros so i start to gently stir to keep it level. The piro rate is fluctuating a bit, I try and stir it so it will come back to me a bit, but the changing pro rate is messing up my stir...

I said well a bad landing on a far out auto will be cheaper than planting this thing if the tail totally fails. I flip into TH and try and shoot the auto, so my bird disappears into the tall grass about 40 yards out I see a blade come over the grass as it tips over, but no horrible grinding crunching sounds. When I get to the bird I find the tail servo hanging by it's wires turns out the trex 600 servo bracket failed. This failure could have been so much worse, I fell pretty lucky it failed while I was doing some pretty controlled flying vs hard core haul'in butt flying

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Boo!! Glad you came out relatively unscathed, but I'm gonna keep an eye on mine for sure!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow you are a lucky guy, those are the kind of crashes that left oneself quite happy I wonder if the bracket was not damaged in a previous crash?
Mateyhv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 600 bracket too with a Futaba 9252 servo, its like the hulk as for tourqe.

Question, did oyu have to grind down the top "ears" so it would fit the 500 metal brackets on the boom?
torpedoarmed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Once upon a time... I installed the 600 bracket and a DS650 servo and yes, both braces of the bracket needed filing to fit the 500 tail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedoarmed View Post
I have a 600 bracket too with a Futaba 9252 servo, its like the hulk as for tourqe.

Question, did oyu have to grind down the top "ears" so it would fit the 500 metal brackets on the boom?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by snjbird View Post
Unlikely part failure

Well I had a strange one this morning my Trex 500 brothers...

I was doing my second flight, first flight was good, I just did a back flipping pass from left to right. At the end, off to my right I threw a half piro flip to right side up. The tail felt odd, when I let off the rudder the tail kept turning.It's a good thing I practice lots of piros so i start to gently stir to keep it level. The piro rate is fluctuating a bit, I try and stir it so it will come back to me a bit, but the changing pro rate is messing up my stir...

I said well a bad landing on a far out auto will be cheaper than planting this thing if the tail totally fails. I flip into TH and try and shoot the auto, so my bird disappears into the tall grass about 40 yards out I see a blade come over the grass as it tips over, but no horrible grinding crunching sounds. When I get to the bird I find the tail servo hanging by it's wires turns out the trex 600 servo bracket failed. This failure could have been so much worse, I fell pretty lucky it failed while I was doing some pretty controlled flying vs hard core haul'in butt flying

Great save!!!
helicopter1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thats spooky.. thats one of those.. " you never even think about this failing" kind of things. Glad you came out of it as well as you did.. if it had happened to me.. it'd be a rekit for sure. Congrats on the save!!
HC500SE ....GO TEAM FLYBAR!
Blayd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I broke one of those brackets in a crash once but this is the first time I've seen one fail in flight. Honestly though it doesn't suprise me. I looking my 500 over the other day and just happened to notice that bracket seems really flimsy.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Next time, you want to sanwiched 2 bracket into 1 with epoxy.
pinguin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nuts! I would have crashed - my stirring thumb is weak...lucky, I'll checking my part now. How many flight does it take to brake, Like how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll?
Mike2112 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Well, I guess I have put 200 flights and four crashes on that one, it was probably weakened in one of the crashes, have not had one for many months now
Unfortunately the story does not end there

One of my friends has a shop in the area, so I called him, and he had the part, yippee! I get it, get home, put it all together, and plug in a pack to test the rudder and ensure there is no binding, and poof, magic smoke billows out of my ICE75! WTF this is my second ICE, the first is still going strong on a 500 I sold a year ago, this unit has worked awesome for the almost year I have had it?

Here is how it played out,
AS soon as I plugged in, the blades gave a tiny wiggle , there was no beeping of cell count, just a crack and a gargled tone as the controller emitted a tiny amount of blue smoke. I was very quick to disconnect the pack.

I was able to use an ICE 50 I have to test the rest of the machine, all servos VBar, DCUP,are good, so the ESC just took it's self out, not the rest of my Chit.

I am very disgusted at this point, I had such faith in the LV ICE line, I had not really heard of any failures of this kind, and I had a couple of years of good service out of the last ICE75 on my 500CF

I was able to find my sales slip, and have printed the RMA form, but I have to admit I am hesitant to use the unit again??

Last edited by snjbird; 05-04-2012 at 09:40 AM..
snjbird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry227 View Post
I broke one of those brackets in a crash once but this is the first time I've seen one fail in flight. Honestly though it doesn't suprise me. I looking my 500 over the other day and just happened to notice that bracket seems really flimsy.
Well those brackets may seem flimsy if you play with them side to side but the servo loads the bracket in line with the boom axis and its very stiff that way. I thikng it was cracked in a previous accident because both ends failed at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snjbird View Post
... Unfortunatelythe story does not end there

One of my friends has a shop in the area, so I called him, and he had the part, yippee! I get it, get home, put it all together, and plug in a pack to test the rudder and ensure there is no binding, and poof, magic smoke billows out of my ICE75! ...
At least that happened on the ground. I am really curious what component may have burned. How many flight does the unit have?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

It happened in my kitchen

I was able to test the motor function too, it is working fine, I used an ICE 80HV I took off my Logo when I added a Jive 80HV

I took the motor out, and took it apart before I tried it, it was fine inside, needs a new lower bearing, but nothing shorted, no wire broken.

Like I said the ESC has been working fine for about a year, I would guess it has around about 350-400 flights, but that is just a guess

It has run four different motors, and a 500M, only for a day, that motor was a friends and he wanted me to test it on my setup. I have owned and flown 3026-1400, 3026-1600, 3226-1600 and a 3424-1800 Castle Vertigo.

Oh well Castle has them in stock, as long as the replace it I will only be down for a few weeks, I have been on the hunt for a used Koby 70 if anyone has one or hears about one shoot me a PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in