Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 550X

Blade 550X Blade 550X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2016, 08:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default linkage length problems

I can not get my beast x programmed......can not get the throws or linkage lengths to match up with the beast x......wont give a blue light in step setup menu L.....I have changed horns.......adjusted links alll the way........nothing
nc-dogman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2016, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you setup a heli before? What steps have you done?
How are you leveling the swash ?
vebbyson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

OMG! I don't know if this is normal, but it was the anti-rotation bracket causing the problem. There was a plastic piece that was in the slot from the manufacturing process that was not removed. It looked like it was supposed to be there, so half of the slot was filled in. After not figuring it out, I questioned the bracket seeing that I needed more throw going down to full negative collective. I decided to alter the bracket, started cutting, and the piece of plastic came out. I was like WTF, all that wasted time! Through all the snapping off and on of the links, one servo horn ball broke, and my links look like my cat chewed on them. Anyone seen the anti-rotation bracket have a piece of plastic in it like that? A 550X is not a little $10.00 car model that you have to snap the plastic pieces off of a board of a bunch of pieces and then have to clean off the tabs.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Every stock 550X anti rotation bracket has that piece in it from the factory.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's common, not all have that plastic removed so you do have to use experience and knowledge on a build. In years past it was called 'modeling', now guys expect it to be a quick assembly process. Not sure of your experience, but i hope you understand that your 550 is a big nasty death machine and deserves a ton of care and respect.

Cheers

Steve
Old 06-12-2016, 06:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

First build from a kit.....not the first heli I have torn down completely and rebuilt with resetting speed controller and beast x needing a complete reprogram on both due to crash repair. I waited until I was comfortable with the programming and swash leveling, and blade pitch mess. I Own 9 helis......(2) Nano CPS, 180 CFX, (2) 360 CFX, T-REX 450 DFC, Clone of a T-REX 450 PRO v2 Flybar, 550X, and a Synergy E7. I have never seen a hobby or a sport that completely ignores safety, and then blames the end user by throwing all the liability on us. That piece that was not removed should have a note in the manual that states if the bracket has an obstruction in the slot causing limited elevator throw, remove to achieve full throw. Just having a generalized statement in the manual that says if you don't have experience in this type heli.....don't fly it.....says nothing about don't BUILD it! If I have to babysit the manufacturing of a major hobby retailer.....they are going to compensate me somehow. I am going to contact HH first thing Monday morning and give them an earfull. Before I posted on here, I tried to see what they had to say and they used the excuse you are there and we are here, we cant see what is happening. LMFAO, what a cop-out!!! If they had any experience how you guys say we need experience to do this......they should have had a quick response to the issue.....I don't believe that plastic piece is in every rotation bracket. If that's the case, if I ordered a new one, it should have it in there right? I will have HH pull 10 off the shelf and tell me how many have it, and if one has it, they should have a note in the manual for people that don't know better!
Old 06-12-2016, 09:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, settle down. First off you do know the 550x is discontinued, be glad for the continued support and don't blast The HH customer service. Secondly, with a little bit of understanding of mechanics and the operation of the swash you should have been able to determine that the anti rotation guide needed something done to it. which you did.
If you progress in this hobby and build other models, heli or otherwise you'll see that figuring things out yourself is normal not the exception.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebbyson View Post
Wow, settle down. First off you do know the 550x is discontinued, be glad for the continued support and don't blast The HH customer service. Secondly, with a little bit of understanding of mechanics and the operation of the swash you should have been able to determine that the anti rotation guide needed something done to it. which you did.
If you progress in this hobby and build other models, heli or otherwise you'll see that figuring things out yourself is normal not the exception.
+1

Steve
Old 06-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Welcome to modeling. This is not a mutli million dollar custom built project. It is a mass produced piece of plastic.

The piece in question is called "flash" If you have ever built a plastic model, you would have cut, scrapped, sanded, filed it off.

If your links are in bad shape, might want to order a new set. As this was my first time setting up a FBL, I messed up my links and they were too loose for my comfort so I ordered a new set from Amian. I just used the ones I had and copied them as I replaced my torn up ones. I also bought a set of turn buckles. Makes adjustments easier.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/blade-h...lh5530/p247592

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2016, 12:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I totally love this hobby, but the one thing that really bugs me is that these manufacturers think everyone was born with all the knowledge to build and fly these things.In their defense I don't believe a 550 is the place for a first build.

If it wasn't for you tube and HF I'd have given up, and I don't quit easy

Last edited by blom; 06-12-2016 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: More Thought
blom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Helifreak is the only reason the 550X is finished, for that matter the only reason I am flying anything. HH has given good and bad advice. I'm not mad, just speaking my peace. I work hard for my money and don't like to waste it(I don't know anyone who does). Thanks to HF(people who post on it) for keeping the sport alive, however in my head they are way wrong. What EVERYONE overlooks is that in the 550X manual it states where NO ONE reads that if we alter ANY part ourselves, it voids ANY warranty and all the liability of the machine is on us. If you had a brother for an attorney you'd see this like I do. With that statement of the altering of piece, and by them leaving the plastic piece in it that we are supposed to remove.... they put us in the position of assuming full liability,and voiding all warranties by altering that bracket. Ya laugh all you want but let that heli go out of control into a crowd of people and god forbid hurt or even kill someone.....that altering of that bracket WOULD come out and you would loose the case! Its easy for us to start hacking up these helis to make them fly, but what are we really doing to the liability which these machines have HUGE liability and responsibility. Like these people who put big rims on their car.....altering the machine from stock, all the liability is on the person who changed the rims from the stock set. They hit someone....They lost the case automatically. Remember.....not mad, upset and disappointed. Curious if a Synergy or Goblin bracket has that piece left in it?
Old 06-14-2016, 01:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Although I'm not a big fan of their products in general, this is actually a very functional upgrade and not just bling :

http://www.microheli.com/heli-upgrad...lade-550x.html
Dawiev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2016, 07:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard View Post

If your links are in bad shape, might want to order a new set. As this was my first time setting up a FBL, I messed up my links and they were too loose for my comfort so I ordered a new set from Amian.
A great way to avoid this is to not use thread locker on the balls until you get everything set up perfectly on the bench. Just unscrew the balls and leave them in the links when making adjustments. There is no need to keep popping the links on/off. Be careful to not cross-thread anything and there really is no danger, especially on a heli with large threaded metal parts like the 550X. Just snug the balls up lightly when doing the setup and save the proper force and thread locker for the final assembly. I do this and it works perfectly every time, even after the initial build. I'd much rather unscrew the ball, clean off the old stuff and use new thread locker than pop off a link.
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2016, 07:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-dogman View Post
I Own 9 helis......(2) Nano CPS, 180 CFX, (2) 360 CFX, T-REX 450 DFC, Clone of a T-REX 450 PRO v2 Flybar, 550X, and a Synergy E7.
Large helis like that and you've only been here two months? Hmmm.
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2016, 08:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Plastic seems to have it in for you ...

If it doesn't get in the way, it melts on its maiden .....
Dawiev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2016, 11:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawiev View Post
Plastic seems to have it in for you ...

If it doesn't get in the way, it melts on its maiden .....
Well that's not going to bring him back so we can help him.

Steve

PS: But damn it was funny!
Old 07-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

A first build and the first set up of the Beast X can be confusing. You need to remain calm and focused, something that your one sentence one paragraph one page rants appear to be the antithesis of in every way.

My brother isn't an attorney, but I am, and your rant about liability for the plastic keeper in the anti-rotation bracket was just complete rubbish!

I hope you get all your issues resolved and that it flies well for you. Mine is a dream to fly. I like it so much I hunted down and acquired a used Blade 700 which I took apart. I'm nearly finished the rebuild. Its all perfect.

The only advice I would give you is not about helis but about the way you deal with people on here genuinely trying to help you. Like Steve for example. Please take off your cranky pants and just be civil with everyone. You will get much more help that way and wont get yourself thrown off what is now about the only active & helpful heli forum.

I just cant imagine going through life with that sort of attitude, nothing is going to end well!

Lots of things that fly and crash!
FlyingFiz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2016, 10:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Fiz.

A bit off topic but if you need a hand or have any questions about your 700 just PM me. I built and did a full electronics setup on my buddies 700X, nice machine!

Steve
Old 07-05-2016, 11:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the offer, appreciate it.

The build went together just fine, very similar to the 550x. All mechanical work is now done, the only thing I need to do now is set up the AR7200BX, which I have done a ton of times and I just have the little black book by my side to be doubly sure.

I grabbed all the spares I could for the 700x particularly the various tail gears. Hopefully I won't encounter any issues there as they were shimmed nice and snug.

Cheers,

Lots of things that fly and crash!
FlyingFiz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2016, 11:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, shim that tail, lash is critical on that one..........depending on how hard you push it. My buddy flies smooth big air and his gears will last forever. Canopy colors kind of suck in the air for most eyes, but other than that it's a good, light machine.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in