Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR

mSR Blade (eFlite) Micro SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DX8 G2 Bind issues... is it compatible with mSR???

Hi everyone

I have just purchased a new DX8 G2 and have a used mSR (and mCX too)

I cannot bind the DX8 to the mSR or the mCX. I did a few years previously own a DX7 DSM2 Tx and a CX2 BnF and had no issues binding it. I have followed the instructions for both the heli and the Tx, throttle is all the way down (even the trim too). Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have been at this for about 3 days now Grrrrrr LOL!
lurch9494 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Spektrum EU transmitters starting 2015 are only supporting DSMx for now (ETSI 1.8.1)
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Thomas, so that sucks..... From what I had read, DSMX was backwards compatible..... Time to look for a cheap DSM2 Tx just for the little BnF heli's then
Old 09-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on previous reply. New EU regulations came into force in 2015 which had the effect of banning DSM2, so new Spektrum transmitters sold in the EU since then have been DSMX only.It is stated in the manual if you look hard enough.
Older pre-2015 DSM2 transmitters can continue to be used legally, the new regs only affect new products.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas.Heiss View Post
Spektrum EU transmitters starting 2015 are only supporting DSMx for now (ETSI 1.8.1)
Transmitters with DSMx or backwards compatible with DSM2.

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2016, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch9494 View Post
Hi everyone

I have just purchased a new DX8 G2 and have a used mSR (and mCX too)

I cannot bind the DX8 to the mSR or the mCX. I did a few years previously own a DX7 DSM2 Tx and a CX2 BnF and had no issues binding it. I have followed the instructions for both the heli and the Tx, throttle is all the way down (even the trim too). Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have been at this for about 3 days now Grrrrrr LOL!
How are you trying to bind it? Distance from tx?

Old 09-19-2016, 01:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi

I have tried binding by turning on with the 'bind' button depressed as per instructions, with the menu settings you can bind with the transmitter on, distances from 10 inches to 20 feet away. Tried with rudder left / right etc etc, with all the throttle/trims down etc.

It does seem it is not compatible
Old 09-19-2016, 05:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks Thomas, so that sucks..... From what I had read, DSMX was backwards compatible..... Time to look for a cheap DSM2 Tx just for the little BnF heli's then
Get a Walkera Devo10 and install DeviationTX: DSM2.

You could also use that as a replacement for your DX8G2 (including DSMx) if you like to programming models with a more advanced / free mixer programming GUI (open firmware concept like OpenTX).

Spektrum Airware menus are not supported by DeviationTX firmware for the "advanced mixer GUI" for planes as well do not work currently that good for standard GUI (Airware heli like) flybar CCPM120 mixing.
You could use the standard GUI for FBL helis too.

Personally I probably would just kick out your DSM2 only very old boards / helis / planes / quads
Even the 2nd 120SR from 2013 supported DSMx and not DSM2 as the 2012 board.
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)
Old 09-19-2016, 05:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd View Post
Transmitters with DSMx or backwards compatible with DSM2.
EU transmitter according to ETSI 1.8.1 can not backwards compatible to DSM2 anymore. This marketing slogan is IMHO dead (for EU) and totally wrong to put on spec / product description anymore.

DSM2 and two channels on 100mw output power is illegal for new selling/importing transmitters to EU-market, as there is no true channel jumping like FHSS (DSMx) required by ETSI 1.8.1.

So no declaration of conformity with compliant ETSI 1.8.1 from Spektrum anymore for DSM2.

Don't ride a dead horse :-) :-)

Some MCPX V1 / V2 helis (CP) seemed to support DSM2 only too.
I once had seen a customer getting out of LHS with his new DX6G2 and not binding to his old MCPX (not the BL) anymore because of missing DSM2.

Walkera Devo transmitters like RTF Devo7, Devo10 e.g are only allowed to use their DEVO 3 channel DSSS protocol in the EU at max 10mw, not 100mw (not ETSI 1.8.1 compliant, no declaration of conformity). There is A and B firmware for 10mw vs 100mw.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas.Heiss View Post

Walkera Devo transmitters like RTF Devo7, Devo10 e.g are only allowed to use their DEVO 3 channel DSSS protocol in the EU at max 10mw, not 100mw (not ETSI 1.8.1 compliant, no declaration of conformity). There is A and B firmware for 10mw vs 100mw.
Hi Thomas and thank you for the info!

So what you are saying is that the Devo transmitters are compatible with Spektrum DMS2 receivers with the correct firmware and would operate my 2 BnF e-flight heli's????

If so, are there any other makes that can do this too??

All your advice is much appreciated
Old 09-20-2016, 04:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Find a used DX6i. Nice radio. Try this website.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2089776

Old 09-22-2016, 05:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

DX6i: Don't ride a dead horse :-)
Timer bug stuff, no throttle auto timer, etc. If you get it real cheap, well, go for it.

My German RCN sender comparison (Turnigy 9X, 9XR, Devo 7E, etc.): http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...6-Super-V2-%29

Other options - besides 4-in-1 multi HF module + FrSky Taranis + OpenTx 2.2 (not sure if that could support PPM too):

Maybe getting an old Spektrum Dx4e/Dx5e HF module (with DSM2 support) if you still want to use your DX8G2 for flying.
Use Arduino to connect it over PPM to your DSC port.

For sure there are some manuals how others did that with Arduino (plan, sketch, wiring..) before for THEIR foreign vendor transmitter to get DSM2 going...
I did not do it before myself - so I can not comment for realization and price.

Also I have not seen ready "addon" OrangeRX HF modules (supporting DSM2) which you could just plug into DSC port. Are there some? They seem to be JR slot modules.

I am not sure if it's worth for those 2 BNF helis, probably not.

Thomas
Old 09-22-2016, 06:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd View Post
Transmitters with DSMx or[sic] backwards compatible with DSM2.

As already stated, in the USA yes they are, but in the EU they are not since 2015.

If all else fails RTFM (page 12):
Old 10-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Picked up a very tidy DX6i (DSM2 of course) and am thoroughly enjoying both the mCX and the mSR! The little mSR flies well outside in my garden, but my skills need more practice lol! The DX8 G2 will be used for bigger things soon
Old 10-03-2016, 04:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Picked up a very tidy DX6i (DSM2 of course) and am thoroughly enjoying both the mCX and the mSR! The little mSR flies well outside in my garden, but my skills need more practice lol! The DX8 G2 will be used for bigger things soon
I knew you'd like the DX6i!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Still On My Dead Horse!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in