Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Wind and the 450 Pro

How much wind is too much wind for the 450 Pro? I have flown my mSR outside in 3 mph winds and it is too much for the mSR. I would think since the mSR only weighs and ounce 1 - 3 mph winds would be too much for it. When I do fly the mSR outside in 3 mph winds the winds drift the mSR too much. So how much wind can the 450 Pro handle? Without making it difficult to fly, etc?
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been forcing myself to fly in all winds lately as I don't want to be affraid of it because if I only flew in no wind I would only fly for about 10 days every year.
Yesterday the wind here according to my phones wind meter was about 14 MPH and I've noticed that in the hover it gets blown around a lot but if I keep it moving it flies great so I think just don't sit for too long in one spot.
Certainly 14 mph feels comfortable but I'm not sure about anything too much more yet.
Danny.
lepton ex123 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

depending on your skill level the pro can be flown in the gustiest of winter days buys but be prepared for it to pitch up and down fast fast. It cam hold its its own as well as your reflex's allow.That being said it is not so much fun on a day that puts whitecaps on the water which is around 13 mph. I have flown mine where it gains a few feet per second in a headwind and shoots off like a rocket when i turn it with the wind. Thw hardest part is the landing!!!

Trex 500 / /3026-1600/CC Ice75 /3G /Ds510's/Torsion 430 fbl's
Trex 450 pro/HK2221-8/ Ice 50 /HS-5065MG/325D's/Kbdd's
life2short1971 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I often wondered this when I first started flying helis myself. How much it can handle really depends on you as a pilot and what you are comfortable with. I had a 450 Pro when it first came out and it handled the wind quite well. Personally if it is blowing more than 12 or 15 mph, it is not as much fun but you can certainly still fly. When I was flying 450s I still watched the wind though and was grounded some due to high winds in the Dallas area. That is expressly why I went to a 500. With the 500 I was hardly every grounded due to wind.

Scott
Old 02-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I hear ya about only being able to fly 10 days a year. That is one of the major down sides to the mSR. It is built to fly outside but can't because it is too light. That's why I want to buy one that flys outside (like the 450 Pro). My living room is way to small to really unleash the power of the mSR. Basically I can hover in my living room. But on a typical day in Massachusetts the wind is on average 15 mph. So if the Pro can handle that, that would be ideal. 500s, at this point are too expensive. I'm a newbie and I probably shouldn't even buy the Pro but that's the only 450 I like. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The pro handles wind very well in my opinion. The more headspeed the better. Stock 14t pinion and 95% throttle is very stable.

Trex 500 / /3026-1600/CC Ice75 /3G /Ds510's/Torsion 430 fbl's
Trex 450 pro/HK2221-8/ Ice 50 /HS-5065MG/325D's/Kbdd's
life2short1971 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I flew in winds gusting up to 25mph (~15 mph sustained) with my Pro. With a high HS it handled really well. I have a 500 now, and so far it doesn't seem to do too much better in the wind, but I've only got like 20 flights on it, so time will tell.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flying in the wind is fun but you get sick of it quick,the only thing i like to do in the wind is fly against it then rocket back past my self going with the wind,i prefer doing it with my 500 though,the 450 is very good for it's size in the wind but it is a bit light,whack some longer blades on it makes a massive difference to stability.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm learning inverted tail in with the 450 Pro. It is very stable to hover in wind (even inverted). I've tried inverted tail in in up to 12-15mph. If anything it's safer in high winds because the wind is constantly blowing the thing upwards.

However, like most 450 helis, flying around sucks if things get above 12mph. As already said, you're just fighting it up wind, and then to have it blast past in down wind.

I'm also learning backwards flight and I find it very difficult to go against the wind tail first.
TRex888 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yesterday I fly in wind 30kph (20mph) and PRO was very stable, much more than I thing before. More stable than in Real flight simulator, where i practise often a i have to recommend all of you.
psena is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I understand the cost thing, believe me. The 450 Pro/Sport is made to fly outdoors. The more you fly in wind the more comfortable you will be with it. If cost is a concern I would also recommend the 450 sport as a cheaper alternative to the Pro. Either way, if you want a good bird for outside that you can grow with, either of the Align 450s will fit the bill. If you are learning, the belt driven tail of the Sport my be a better choice than that of the torque tube driven tail of the Pro.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlicklid View Post
I hear ya about only being able to fly 10 days a year. That is one of the major down sides to the mSR. It is built to fly outside but can't because it is too light. That's why I want to buy one that flys outside (like the 450 Pro). My living room is way to small to really unleash the power of the mSR. Basically I can hover in my living room. But on a typical day in Massachusetts the wind is on average 15 mph. So if the Pro can handle that, that would be ideal. 500s, at this point are too expensive. I'm a newbie and I probably shouldn't even buy the Pro but that's the only 450 I like. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scnsaracer View Post
I often wondered this when I first started flying helis myself. How much it can handle really depends on you as a pilot and what you are comfortable with. I had a 450 Pro when it first came out and it handled the wind quite well. Personally if it is blowing more than 12 or 15 mph, it is not as much fun but you can certainly still fly. When I was flying 450s I still watched the wind though and was grounded some due to high winds in the Dallas area. That is expressly why I went to a 500. With the 500 I was hardly every grounded due to wind.

Scott
That is the real deal. As with real aircraft the ability to handle more wind comes with experience. Early on not so much, later go for stronger conditions unless you have a large repair parts budget and enjoy rebuilding things....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in