Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Cyclic gain question

To tune the cyclic gain, I just fly as I normaly do, and if I se any oscillation during my normal rutine fligth I lower the gain until its gone, just as tail gain right?

But if I se oscillation AFTER stick input, like if you do hard cyclic stops etc, can that also be gain related? Or is that something else I need to tweak here. Or perhaps its a combo of both the gain and something else?

What is your method.

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Devilfish, if you see oscillation after stick input, that means you Bell Gains are high so you should lower them but not too much or your cyclic will feel lazy..

Dont rely on the "auto tune Bell gain" feature. When I had mine turned on, it kept increasing the bell gains that I ended up with sharp oscillation after stick input.
Charz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

=] SK provide a control loop in a box, this loop has a bandwidth, to work within this the heli first needs to be mechanically tuned correctly, this will determine it's performance.

if the initial part is out this results in modifying the loop to remove unwanted effects, this is not the way to go.

I don't need to use any "after" method, just set my swash mix correctly, run a gyro gain at 45%, it's fully locked. perfectly.

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charz View Post
Devilfish, if you see oscillation after stick input, that means you Bell Gains are high so you should lower them but not too much or your cyclic will feel lazy..

Dont rely on the "auto tune Bell gain" feature. When I had mine turned on, it kept increasing the bell gains that I ended up with sharp oscillation after stick input.
=] your control rates are set too high.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcallister View Post
=] your control rates are set too high.
Not true.. My control rates where 130 and 150 and the auto tune brought the bell gains to the mid 50's after 5 flights and oscillation after stick input was quite noticable..

Regardless, one major setting that affects the abrupt spring effect after stick input is high bell gains. That is also mentioned in the manual.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Not true.. My control rates where 130 and 150 and the auto tune brought the bell gains to the mid 50's after 5 flights and oscillation after stick input was quite noticable..

Regardless, one major setting that affects the abrupt spring effect after stick input is high bell gains. That is also mentioned in the manual.
=] bell gain is only for stick response, not gyro response.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
=] SK provide a control loop in a box, this loop has a bandwidth, to work within this the heli first needs to be mechanically tuned correctly, this will determine it's performance.

if the initial part is out this results in modifying the loop to remove unwanted effects, this is not the way to go.

I don't need to use any "after" method, just set my swash mix correctly, run a gyro gain at 45%, it's fully locked. perfectly.
Thanks for the answer.

I understand the importance of a mechanically tuned correctly heli. I tried that with all my builds, but it will always be a compromise. Bird size, weight, servo speed, power etc etc. No setup is like the other.,

Atm Im tuning my new sk540 to make a stable hover setup in bank1.

1600rpm, scale setting, 35% expo, and CR is 130/150.
Bell gain 40/48.
Cyclic gain 50.

The heli is rock solid in the hover, i really like how the heli is feeling atm.

But I do notice a "abrupt spring effect" after fast/abrupt stick input.
Its not a problem, I mean how often will you make fast/abrupt cyclic corrections during a low rpm hover.

Im just trying to learn on whats doing what.

Cheers
Old 11-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
=] bell gain is only for stick response, not gyro response.
gmcallister, In FBL world, stick response you are refering to is also goverened by the gyro's feedback which the FBL unit uses and intermediately act to acheive and maintain the cyclic rate set by the user.

In the manual, high bell gains (relative to cyclic rates) are stated to be responsible for abrupt spring-backs after stick input which is what I understood the OP is noticing.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
gmcallister, In FBL world, stick response you are refering to is also goverened by the gyro's feedback which the FBL unit uses and intermediately act to acheive and maintain the cyclic rate set by the user.

In the manual, high bell gains (relative to cyclic rates) are stated to be responsible for abrupt spring-backs after stick input which is what I understood the OP is noticing.
=] it keeps changing, it started off as an "oscillation" now it's a "spring back" which one are we dealing with?

Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
=] it keeps changing, it started off as an "oscillation" now it's a "spring back" which one are we dealing with?
How about "spring-back oscillations" .
Nevermind.. I respect your opinion and aim that the OP benefits from whatever information entertained in this thread.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback all.

Im sorry for my lack in the English langue. What I talk about is just what Charz is saying "abrupt spring-backs after stick input ".

Cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in