Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Kasama Helicopters and Upgrades

Kasama Helicopters and Upgrades Kasama Srimok 90 Helicopters and Upgrades Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo RL67 View Post
I machined a new component and cut/modified the crown gear to fit.
Attachment 494465

Attachment 494466
Reverse the pinion block and the front tail holder. I have to cut the tail and the torque tube to retain the original length.
Romeo RL67 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I machined a new component and cut/modified the crown gear to fit.
Attachment 494465

Attachment 494466
After all that effort I hope it works for you!!

BenScoobert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenScoobert View Post
After all that effort I hope it works for you!!
I flew it twice now, Ben. But havent pushed it hard.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just loved this heli so much but I do not have the peace of mind flying it with the original crown gear. Too bad I can only do this on the Faifa because the main gear is wide enough. I can release the CAD drawing so that other srimokers can get this made by their local machine shop.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:59 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes please Romeo If you could send over those CAD drawings that would be great

Varelco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Crown and Bevel Gear

Quote:
I just loved this heli so much but I do not have the peace of mind flying it with the original crown gear. Too bad I can only do this on the Faifa because the main gear is wide enough. I can release the CAD drawing so that other srimokers can get this made by their local machine shop.
I'm building mine at the moment and I don't think all the blame lies on the crown gear. Just looking and setting up the tail take off mesh shows some flaws in the bevel gear support block design. There's only two bolts supporting it and the holes they go into are huge producing a very sloppy fit. The only thing stopping the block from twisting and rotating in flight is the friction produced by those two bolts. A third support bolt position further forward would help a lot in reducing the twist on this block. A third support bearing in the lower bearing block would be even better.

I haven't flown it yet but I've used a lot of MA helis with crown gears and there design is pretty bullet proof but its very differant to Kasamas design.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varelco View Post
Yes please Romeo If you could send over those CAD drawings that would be great
Crown gear adpter.pdf
Old 03-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
I'm building mine at the moment and I don't think all the blame lies on the crown gear. Just looking and setting up the tail take off mesh shows some flaws in the bevel gear support block design. There's only two bolts supporting it and the holes they go into are huge producing a very sloppy fit. The only thing stopping the block from twisting and rotating in flight is the friction produced by those two bolts. A third support bolt position further forward would help a lot in reducing the twist on this block. A third support bearing in the lower bearing block would be even better.

I haven't flown it yet but I've used a lot of MA helis with crown gears and there design is pretty bullet proof but its very differant to Kasamas design.
I've never had any show signs of movement post flight.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I've never had any show signs of movement post flight.
Me either.
I believe all helis have their own limitation and I have reached the tail limit on this heli.
Just like the TDR, they have reached the RPM limit so they are building a bigger drivetrain TDR/TDS.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:30 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm afraid will get a tail blow out. I guess we need to do an inverted hurricane with that set up and see if the tail blows out.
Backwards full pitch circuits, speed run to sideways loops and very hard-stop tail down were all fine with the reduced tail pitch. Not even a hint of tail blowout.

I flew the same manoeuvres two days before, without reducing the tail pitch and stripped the teeth in three different spots on the crown. I'm also only running 95mm tails, though the head speed is 2200rpm.

With the amount of tail pitch at full travel, the tail blades are stalling the drive train.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

So exactly how much is the travel being reduced by? I plan to run to a headspeed of 1900 and lower on 105 tails.

Varelco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varelco View Post
So exactly how much is the travel being reduced by? I plan to run to a headspeed of 1900 and lower on 105 tails.
Wadders did approximately half, about 20° each way.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadders248 View Post
Backwards full pitch circuits, speed run to sideways loops and very hard-stop tail down were all fine with the reduced tail pitch. Not even a hint of tail blowout.

I flew the same manoeuvres two days before, without reducing the tail pitch and stripped the teeth in three different spots on the crown. I'm also only running 95mm tails, though the head speed is 2200rpm.

With the amount of tail pitch at full travel, the tail blades are stalling the drive train.
Well this is a good news then, cause I have the classic Srimok and Dune that I cant apply this mod.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Well this is a good news then, cause I have the classic Srimok and Dune that I cant apply this mod.
It's not a mod, it is a setting in your FBL unit or gyro, just reduce tail throw limits

Old 03-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It's not a mod, it is a setting in your FBL unit or gyro, just reduce tail throw limits
I meant, my KDS mod.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Fantastic mod by the way... it would still be good to have the option from Kasama to have helical tail crown and gear, but at least reducing the tail pitch gives a solution for people who want to use stock parts.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would like to get the helical stuff on mine to, but atm i not having problems with the stock parts, mine used to eat the bevelgears in 5-6 flights , even if i had the mesh tight or loose, my pinion had pretty sharp edges.
So, i pulled it out and went over each tooth with a small file to dull the edges some, put it back in with a new bevelgear and set the mesh pretty tight. Havent seen a speck of white dust from the bevelgear after that.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

This heli is worry free now to my skill level. Had more than 30 flight on it now without any lubricat on the bevel gears.

I have 1 extra of this mod. PM me if you need it. This will include the modded gear and the machined adapter, no screws included. You will have to buy the other matching bevel gear.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I've just reduced my throw mechanically by moving the servo ball in a hole after stripping a second crown gear in as many days!! Yesterday was with 105's on and full throw and today was with 95's but was doing a vbar optimization so full rudder and hard stop etc etc. Have to say its going to take a few flights to get confident with it again although I've had a Faifa before and had zero issues with the crown.

Is there any chance one of you fine people could measure the distance you're getting between the tail gearbox now you've reduced the throw/pitch? I think I've reduced the throw by around 4/5mm, that sound about right?

I'd certainly buy any upgrade that became available.
George J is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 10:32 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've reduced mine to 20 and 25 degrees. I say there smacking the tail left and right for a whole flight to test it. I find it hard to believe anyone could strip a crown at these amounts. Tail held perfect too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesheli View Post
I've just reduced my throw mechanically by moving the servo ball in a hole after stripping a second crown gear in as many days!! Yesterday was with 105's on and full throw and today was with 95's but was doing a vbar optimization so full rudder and hard stop etc etc. Have to say its going to take a few flights to get confident with it again although I've had a Faifa before and had zero issues with the crown.

Is there any chance one of you fine people could measure the distance you're getting between the tail gearbox now you've reduced the throw/pitch? I think I've reduced the throw by around 4/5mm, that sound about right?

I'd certainly buy any upgrade that became available.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in