Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Reflex Flight Sim

Reflex Flight Sim Reflex Simulator Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2004, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sar
Registered Users

Default Reflex over G2?

I know the graphics and probably the physics in Reflex are better than G2, but I'm more interested in if you think it is worth switching from G2. Reflex is around $250 last I heard, and G2 does suffice as a simulator. I've got a second raptor waiting for electronics, and I use the sim a lot also. Do you think it's worth switching to Reflex, or should I stick with the G2 and get some electronics for the second Raptor? I will eventually switch to Reflex one way or another, but if it's not going to make a major impact on my learning curve, I'll let it wait.
Sar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2004, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sar
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Never mind, I just watched the video on this thread https://www.helifreak.com/viewtopic.php?t=138 decision made.
Sar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2004, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Reflex is $190 from Tower Hobbies
Version 4.03
The video is of XTR which is a "Pay what you think it's worth" upgrade at this time
I am still waiting for my XTR disk to come in the mail (to big to download)
If you can Auto real well in G2 you won't find it so easy in Reflex
If you can Auto real well in real life you will do fine in Reflex

The only problem I see with Reflex is that if you are a complete newbie.
You may not have a transmitter, or may not know enough about heli's to make it work as well as it can

Stator Gator
Sold Heli's to build AMC Racecar....still lurking
Tom Fiddler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2004, 12:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Hey GMT!!

"GrassMasterT" That should be part of your sig man!! but can i come over some day soooon and check that reflex out man?? looks really interesting

Lucky me i am off all week
~Jeremy~ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2004, 09:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

You know where I live
Come on over.....I can work while you fly

Stator Gator
Old 04-06-2004, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just purchased Reflex 4.03. I have a problem with sims where they turn into a game after the first 15 minutes if they suck. So far I've taken Reflex seriously when I've used it. This is a good sign.

Hovering behaviour is the closest I've seen to the real thing. This sim would work great for someone learning to hover.

General flying around is great but I do find it very pitchy in backwards flight. I haven't found a setting that reduced the pitchiness without hurting other aspect of flight. Still, I think it will work out ok but I hope they addressed this issue in XTR (I'm waiting on the CD),

A few other areas I don't care for..

Can't use flight modes AND the governer. You either have to use throttle curves or use a set headspeed for all flying. This is fine except it gets you out of the habit of switching flight modes which could be costly at the field. I tried setting up throttle curves and was not thrilled with the results. This could have easily been addressed by adding a channel to read the flight mode switch.

Also I like the idea of G2's controller. Too many close calls keeping the real Tx near my computer. Those intense Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam sessions can result in a damaged tx!

Reflex has some maturing to do in these areas but for the moment, even considering the price, I prefer it over G2. I've even disposed of my G2 already.

steve
ZZ3Astro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2004, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Allrighty man i cant come over tday have a few things to do but tomarro is lookin good , how bout u?
~Jeremy~ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2004, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

ZZ3Astro
Make the horizontal and vertical fins much, smaller that seemed to fix the problem for me (also helped the gyro in sideways flight)

Jerm
Tomorrow is fine

Stator Gator
Old 04-06-2004, 11:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Those are set to zero... tried that first thing

steve
Old 04-07-2004, 12:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hello Gang,

I would be the first and loud voice of Reflex when I'll testify it's effectiveness. Not too long ago, all I did was hover and a little left and right turns in forward flight. I bought the SIM a month ago. praticed for 3 weeks.

Just last weekend, I was doing the ff:

Fig. 8's
Flip.
Roll.
Loop
Nose in.
Slow pirouette
Circles.
And I tasted 4 sec. of inverted hover.

Remember to only practice maneuver's, that you think you can realistically do in real life. For me, I know, I can fly inverted in reflex all day, but I don't dare to do it, because in real life, I would piss in my pants if I do it. I use reflex if I want to master a maneuver within my limits. I would practice for a week and during the weekend, that's when I do it.

Some folks would practice time and time again, but fail to deliver. Reflex is close to reality, and I've learned to use it effectively. The brain is a wonderful thing and reflex helps the subconscious level to pick up some cool tricks that you learn from Reflex and Cook em' in real life..
genovia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2004, 11:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think Reflex might be working for me.. I've been playing around with knife edge circles and rolling circles and I think I'm actually picking up some ideas from it.

Also the pitchiness CAN be dealt with by using expo after all. Seems I dialed it in the wrong way and made the elevator more sensitive instead of less.

Now if XTR would just arrive.....

steve
Old 04-09-2004, 09:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

i believe that they are just getting ready to release the XTR upgrade. Supposedly MRC/Altech will be the new US distributer. With lifeitme upgrades free Im sure XTR will eventually dominate the market. I briefly owned a copy of 4.03 man now im kicking myself for selling it.
Splattt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2004, 10:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

I bought Relflex 4.03 couple months ago, aquired XTR as well (cough) and then soon got my G2 on ebay. Sold it for the same price I paid for reflex so all in all a good deal. I much prefer it over G2, the heli's just seem smoother. Shame about the lack of multiplayer though, that would really kill G2 if they could implement that feature.
Stephen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2004, 12:16 AM   #14 (permalink)

Default RE: pitchyness

WSN says:

"Touchy is the right expresion. all models are a little harder than reality on intention. It won't improve your training state if it's too easy.

Just go to MODEL, MODEL PARAMS and reduce the first 3 params to 75-85% to start with. Once you are familiar with the Reflex-feeling, start increasing back to 100%.

Cheers - wolfgang"
Torkroll is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2004, 08:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I get a big laugh out of all the posts about how realistic this simulator is compared to a real model helicopter. I'm sure all the arguments are valid, but to make a software simulator as much "real world like" as a full scale simulator is just impossible. I have over forty years experience flying full scale simulators, eight years in the Navy and 31 years at a major airline and I can tell you that no simulator flies exactly like a real airplane. The best that was ever said about a simulator is that it flies "almost like the real thing". Perhaps I should take that back. McDonald Douglas (RIP) did in fact made an airplane that flies exactly like a simulator, the MD-11. Although it flies just like a simulator, unfortunately it doesn' fly much like the MD-11 simulator and nothing like a real airplane should. :mrgreen: So if your simulator isn't perfect you can take solace in the fact that none are.

Bob

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Churchill
capebob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in