Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Thumbs down

Super-caps meant for memory backup storage have an extremely high output resistance (for a capacitor) and will not help in this situation. The problem comes from the fact it has a very small limit to the current that can be pulled from the capacitor without a large drop in the voltage supplied from the capacitor. So the current draw from the reciever and servos, would easily draw more current from the Super-cap than it is capable of holding a constant voltage at.
350banshee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008, 12:45 PM   #22 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Yup i seemed to remember the supercaps having a large ESR but i couldn't be certain. With a proper BEC and ensuring the servos never bind this isnt an issue anyways.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoodyp View Post
What was the value of the cap you used?

I guess it's one of those things that IF works then it will make all the difference but if not then so what it can't hurt (yes OK useless weight to the aircraft is never good but). Regardless I want to make one and wouldn't mind again if you could give me the cap's specs.

Thanks in Advance
I don't know what the capasitance value is but you can go to the Spektrum websight and find it under voltage protector. I think it's a mistake to think of this a backup power source. But rather something to take the edge off a low volt spike.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #24 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I don't know what the capasitance value is but you can go to the Spektrum websight and find it under voltage protector. I think it's a mistake to think of this a backup power source. But rather something to take the edge off a low volt spike.
Yes I know the URL was posted in this thread already but it's no help. Well I can read part of what's written on it's label and I'm certainly not at their inflated price plus shipping buying it, it's just a "CAP"! I just figured since you had said you owned one it would be simply a matter of reading the labeling off yours... thanks anyways I'll just guesstimate it.
pwoodyp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2008, 10:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Capacitors will do nothing for brown outs. If you are experiencing low voltage cutouts/resets then you need to 1. Stop running crappy batteries and 2. Stop running your batteries so low.

A capacitor will not power your 4 servos+Gyro+Receiver for ANY amount of time. It will not prevent a reset either. As long as you run good batteries and don't run the piss out of your packs you WILL NOT have any issues.

I have tested several capacitors and there is literally no difference between having one and not having one. (Besides the added weight)
Trex 500 w/ 9650's and JR770/8900G
DJ NeX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

I've already tried to explain this to no avail.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:34 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFG View Post
I've already tried to explain this to no avail.
Exactly, this hobby is so full of hearsay its ridiculous. I'd like to see people with real experience and conclusive data rather than a bunch of old fogies and their placebo effects.
Trex 500 w/ 9650's and JR770/8900G
DJ NeX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 12:56 AM   #28 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ NeX View Post
I have tested several capacitors and there is literally no difference between having one and not having one. (Besides the added weight)
LMAO.... I what see this for myself also. As you did it's the only way when there is an obvious two sides to an argument like what I'm seeing here If people believe because I want to try this for myself that I believe one way or the other then thats a mistake. I take everything given to me from the forums with the olé proverbial grain of salt and generally don't like being "told" but that last part is a demon I must deal with. LOL
pwoodyp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 07:02 AM   #29 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Drop by my place woody i will lend you some caps to try yourself

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in