Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #61 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexwilly View Post
OK here is the deal, if you change motor and ESC on a power system, like changing from say 3S to 6S, that will use less current... But if the only thing you change is the input voltage, like going from 5.5 to 7.4, you will not lower current use, you will increase it, not by double but a corresponding increase to the voltage increase for sure... A good exanple of this is what many guys are doing in revers, many guys are using their 3S packs to low headspeed there 6S machines, and they are using much less current...

No I think even the V1 will work with the lower KV 2520... it is just the higher KV 1880 that is giving them a hard time....

I had a very nice go with the PPV3 50A and I must say this unit is nice, better than nice guys it is awesome...

http://youtu.be/yOkvUnCYYF0

Pros
Form, and weight... good
Has good Governor
Has output for external governor"someone else will have to test that, I am not a external governor fan"
Has auto rotation bailout, that is easy to use, and works good!
Has powerful BEC that is voltage selectable!
Half way decent instructions

Cons
It is only on EBay for US buyers" this is going to change"
has wrong bullets" only aplies to me, I use Align 24Ks" So no bullet would be better for me
It cost 50+
awesome flying!

how warm (or not) was the ESC after that flight?
BladeScraper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only spot where I noticed an improvement was doing tail down tic tocs... they seemed a bit tighter and more centered. I will be flying at my normal field tomorrow so I'll have a better idea then, but the flight time should be about the same, I may have just landed a little early on the demo video.

On the bench I could see with the naked eye the servos were faster, and they heated up a bit with the ESC set to 7.4, but at the headspeeds I fly the servos may not be be as critical as people who fly higher headspeeds...

BS The ESC was no warmer than the YEP I was using before.

My X3 definitely heats up the motor, I have tried three now and they all get hot...
Old 05-13-2014, 07:10 AM   #63 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
BS The ESC was no warmer than the YEP I was using before.
and how warm was that?
Old 05-13-2014, 07:35 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Less than 120F on the outside... I checked it with an IR temp gun, the motor on the other hand gets to about 150F

The Hobbywing has a "impact resistant" outer case, and some good size cooling vents, I shot the laser into the vents and that's as high of a reading as I could get...

Unless you are planning to ditch the 3S and going 6S, the temps I get are really moot to you?

Last edited by Trexwilly; 05-13-2014 at 10:02 AM..
Trexwilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #65 (permalink)

My HF Map location

rotflol, my ESC and motor probably get way hotter than 150, never measured though.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

3s temps can be insane. When I first got my ice lite 50a esc, I ran it with my 2221-6. Got so hot that the heat shrink tore. On 6s, though, it lives up to its name.
Yfbb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicray View Post
I got the YEP's on my 450s and they work fine. I also got the YEP on a 250, it works well with my scorpion motor, but it doesn't want to play well with my no name brand motor. It's about time though that ESC companies are now addressing the issues on making proper ESCs for FBL setups, as opposed to previously when we had no choice but to use low spec ESCs designed for FB setups.
Are you using the YEP V2 or the original YEPs? I have not heard any complaints about the original YEPs but my V2 is giving me issues.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:45 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Pros

Has output for external governor"someone else will have to test that, I am not a external governor fan"

It cost 50+
Glad to hear it is working great as I just got one as well! Can't wait to test it out! Although it is almost double the price of the YEP.

Just out of curiosity, why do you not like external govs? I have not heard of any disadvantages of them over the ESC gov and quite the opposite, heard of the advantages of the external over the ESC's. Curious to hear the other side of the story from someone who prefers the ESC gov.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #69 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Yes, external govs like in VBAR have an advantage because they see the throttle signal and use it to have pro-active governing or whatever they call it, rather than reactive. They add throttle before they notice the headspeed drop and add pitch at the same time, unlike ESC's which add throttle only when they see the RPM drop.

And I thought Trexwilly love the VBAR governor?
Old 05-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeScraper View Post
Yes, external govs like in VBAR have an advantage because they see the throttle signal and use it to have pro-active governing or whatever they call it, rather than reactive. They add throttle before they notice the headspeed drop and add pitch at the same time, unlike ESC's which add throttle only when they see the RPM drop.

And I thought Trexwilly love the VBAR governor?
Yea, I understand the advantages. I am curious as to see why Trexwilly prefers the ESC Gov over the external gov.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #71 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I always thought Trexwilly loved the VBAR governor...whenever I asked something about it he always says its so great....
Old 05-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tried the VBar Gov years ago when they were first developing them, and we had some top people in the hobby helping to get them setup. In the end when I was flying it, I really didn't "feel" a noticeable improvement over say the Jive Governor... And let me tell you the Jive is plug and play At the time I had 2 Jive 80HVs a Koby 70A, and a few Jazz ESCs, and they work so good that I didn't think the Juice was worth the squeeze...

I have posted this opinion in a few threads, and I have recieved some flak too, and I just let it slide on by. Seems, because for my flying style, the YGE, kontronic, Castle, YEP, HW governors work well enough... Honestly the processors sense and correct so fast it is almost undetectable by the human eye/ear...

So I know that people approach this hobby from different perspectives, and I don't knock people for wanting to do it "their way" even if their way is different than mine!
I also know tinkering is part of the fun for some guys, but for me it is mostly about flying!
I have seen some people that are messing with the FBL governor still trying to get it to work, and I know since they started to mess with it, I have logged 150 flights on my heli with a simple low budget YEP 45 V1 setup in governor Store, the setup took 10 minutes, and I have not messed with the ESC since
So sure some guys will tell you the FBL governor are so much better, or they will never own a heli without one, but I am not that guy. I think the ESC Governors do a fine job, I like the governor on this new Hobbywing. And since it has a setting for external governor, people who prefer the FBL governor can like it too, and gain the benefit of the solid BEC
Old 05-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmann841 View Post
Are you using the YEP V2 or the original YEPs? I have not heard any complaints about the original YEPs but my V2 is giving me issues.
I got the original YEPs and the ICE. Works well even the internal gov. You may have a faulty YEP, it happens. See if you can get a replacement. HK have sold tons of them and it is expected that once in awhile a faulty one will pop up. That goes with any ESC's even the Kontronik.
helicray is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a couple of the V1 45s and they work perfect, I did order a V2 and it worked on the bench, but when I tried to set it up in a heli it failed, I tried three more times to get it going, and it is a lemon. I had a 120LV fail, and a 90LV fail, as well as a 40A on my mini Protos fail, about 45% of the units I have tried have failed, but the 90 and 120 I had a scorpion motor that was suspect in the failures, but the 45 and 40 failed without cause...
Old 05-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I tried the VBar Gov years ago when they were first developing them, and we had some top people in the hobby helping to get them setup. In the end when I was flying it, I really didn't "feel" a noticeable improvement over say the Jive Governor... And let me tell you the Jive is plug and play At the time I had 2 Jive 80HVs a Koby 70A, and a few Jazz ESCs, and they work so good that I didn't think the Juice was worth the squeeze...

I have posted this opinion in a few threads, and I have recieved some flak too, and I just let it slide on by. Seems, because for my flying style, the YGE, kontronic, Castle, YEP, HW governors work well enough... Honestly the processors sense and correct so fast it is almost undetectable by the human eye/ear...

So I know that people approach this hobby from different perspectives, and I don't knock people for wanting to do it "their way" even if their way is different than mine!
I also know tinkering is part of the fun for some guys, but for me it is mostly about flying!
I have seen some people that are messing with the FBL governor still trying to get it to work, and I know since they started to mess with it, I have logged 150 flights on my heli with a simple low budget YEP 45 V1 setup in governor Store, the setup took 10 minutes, and I have not messed with the ESC since
So sure some guys will tell you the FBL governor are so much better, or they will never own a heli without one, but I am not that guy. I think the ESC Governors do a fine job, I like the governor on this new Hobbywing. And since it has a setting for external governor, people who prefer the FBL governor can like it too, and gain the benefit of the solid BEC
Not sure what it is Will, but most people are getting the wrong info. The vstabi gov is supposed to be a second option IF their ESC's gov is not up to the task. The YEP/YGE/Castle and others have good govs. There's no need to spend or add extra weight to the 450 heli for a phase sensor unless the pilot is using an ESC that doesn't have gov or the gov is not that good.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #76 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default Hobbywing Platinum Pro V3

You say "extra weight" like it's a serious problem... A phase sensor weighs like, what, 3 grams?

Sent from my Gaui X3 using my Dx6i
Old 05-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I have a couple of the V1 45s and they work perfect, I did order a V2 and it worked on the bench, but when I tried to set it up in a heli it failed, I tried three more times to get it going, and it is a lemon. I had a 120LV fail, and a 90LV fail, as well as a 40A on my mini Protos fail, about 45% of the units I have tried have failed, but the 90 and 120 I had a scorpion motor that was suspect in the failures, but the 45 and 40 failed without cause...
I wasn't specific, I use the YEP 60 and YEP 80 for my 450s. I also use the YEP 18 for my 250. So far touch wood they have been good.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeScraper View Post
You say "extra weight" like it's a serious problem... A phase sensor weighs like, what, 3 grams?

Sent from my Gaui X3 using my Dx6i
Well if you think about it, we are suppose to have a 450 with the flying weight of 640g for the pro and for the sport it's a little bit lighter. What is your flying weight for your X3?
Old 05-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #79 (permalink)

My HF Map location

My X3 is almost exactly 1kg. A bit over. The X3 is built like a tank, and it's about as heavy as one!
Old 05-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I guess it's just like how Will have said, everyone has their own way with their heli setups and the choice of helis they choose to fly. It is a democracy world, each to their own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in