Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2016, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Castle CREMATION...

I was flying the 600 today, doing an inverted hover when poof! it fell from the sky like a rock, the ESC (castle) decided to explode anyone got any recommendations for a new esc? hobby wing? and not 300 bucks? haha happy Thanksgiving!
Br0tz34 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2016, 09:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear that! Which Castle was it? Ice, Ice2, Edge?
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

castle ice 2
Old 11-24-2016, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You being in tx ks isn't far away I send it in maybe get discount on a talon or edge series ??
Trex_600n,Trex_500,MR25,MikadoLoGo5003D_KDE,CastleCreations,Ys,JR XG8,Sab Goblin 380/X_Nova/Bk_Servos, JR TagsMini//Sab Goblin 500Pulse Edition, Sab Goblin570Carbon_SABUSA_X_Nova_BkServos_KDE,RJX-Swash,JR-SPG-Tail/TagsMini_JRX-Bus.
JEEPWORLD2002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2016, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

i think i might go the hobby wing way for the 100a and see if i get better results!
Old 11-25-2016, 07:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

YEP. Cheap, reliable and work great.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

what rpm, and motor were u using when it happened?

XL Power and Spirit FBL field rep.
Gtamas90 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2016, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

1950rpm and the 510kv align motor
Old 11-27-2016, 01:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

How old was the ESC, always hot during flight?

Added air inlets on all my 600 canopies, even when they are brand new....
apper001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2016, 02:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

No make of ESC is bullet proof sadly. Kontronik probably have the best record but you pay for it - cheap compared to cost of heli though and even lipos!
Old 11-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

it was kind of old, but not old to the point where it was on its last flight lol and it was by the skids, not even covered by the canopy! i think ima get the Hobby wing with the fan on it the 130A i think? hope for better results! these 600's are not as cheap as my Gaui x3 to fix
Old 12-01-2016, 10:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

The ICE 2 should not have exploded.
The original ICE's were catching fire on a regular basis.
But, I have not seen a ICE 2 or Edge explode.
My bet is that Castle would be very interested in knowing what went wrong.
They also offer a 50% "crash discount" in case you want to get another, newer, Castle Edge.

You don't need a >120A ESC for your setup.
Something in the 80A to 100A is more than enough.

But, get what you want.

Assuming you are using a 6S pack, the HW Platinum 100A V3 Brushless ESC w/10A BEC might be a good choice. With the BEC, it is around $70
If you are flying 12S, then the Platinum PRO v3 100A-HV may be a good choice. It is around $130 but no BEC.
Anything bigger from HW starts to get expensive.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've seen plenty of Edge explode, and more ICE2. ICE were "fixed" but clearly not completely. There have been quite a lot of them exploding. They were better than ICE, but not much.
Number is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2016, 04:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is nothing wrong with CC Esc's as a rule and the one you had was quite sufficient for the application. One weak link on all ESC's is when a high power component decide or capacitor decides to fail and this could happen even on the more expensive ones.

As an example before I used my CC ICE on a 6S application I went for a HW130A as the high power rating gave me a feeling of confidence. I installed and set up and as I attempted to take off on my very first flight the ESC exploded on the ground taking the LIPO out with it, that was brand new out of the box. The seller didn't want to know of course.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2016, 06:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Basically what every one here is saying is no esc is bullet proof. Sum take the motor sum take the lipo sum destroy the air frame sum allow you to try an auto. I would send it in and at the very least get a diagnosis. Then roll from there all electronics have a built in counter with a expiration date. Most of the components are the same is just the logic n code that seperates them I love the fact cc is made here in the Good old UsofA n service is a few days away n very little inbetween waiting. good luck on the newest venture
Trex_600n,Trex_500,MR25,MikadoLoGo5003D_KDE,CastleCreations,Ys,JR XG8,Sab Goblin 380/X_Nova/Bk_Servos, JR TagsMini//Sab Goblin 500Pulse Edition, Sab Goblin570Carbon_SABUSA_X_Nova_BkServos_KDE,RJX-Swash,JR-SPG-Tail/TagsMini_JRX-Bus.
JEEPWORLD2002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 05:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

the Align/hobbywing 130 is a good choice , guys are running them on 700 helis with no issues .
Dennis Everett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 09:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a Ice2 go up the m other day 5 years old luckily for me it went as soon as I kicked off TH just a fireball. Just it's time I guess, I have no problems with flying another CC.
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 01:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Had about 3 early ice's go up in smoke back when they found out their supplier didn't provide the right parts, but am having stellar luck with my Ice 2 120 in my latest 600. Had many newer Castles that ran great. Sold those since the gov was a total hassle integrating into my current fbl system.
No, a 120 isn't too large! Four guys up here are running that size in their 6s and 12s 600s. Years without a single failure! We have seen a couple 80s pop.
Lost two 120Hv Hobbywings, two 120Hv Yep's. I gave up on Yep after my last two bouts with their customer support, two bad ones, and they wouldn't do squat about it. Told the addition of their own heat sink violated their warranty? Really? One popped on the table on its first spool, the other wouldn't run with the active freewheel engaged. Four different prog cards wouldn't touch it. I gave up.
Koz? I lost count of the Koz's I have seen go away, tons of guys emailing me about those also. One guy saying they were falling out of the sky like rain at his field. Just got the latest Koz I have that went up replaced by them, took 9 months. Still sitting new in the box. That one failed during its first spool up. And yeah, it was setup right according to the factory. I have seen more than one fail right in front of me in other pilots helis. Painfully expensive doesn't mean they are perfect.
Nothing is perfect boys. Keep in mind this is over 9 years and thousands of flights.
The latest Castle products have a pretty good rep! Customer support is superb, unlike Yep or the Koz. Koz may be better if you live in Europe, but here in the U.S. support sucks.

The new Hobbywings seem to be having great success also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in