Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 800 Class Helicopters

800 Class Helicopters 800 Class Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default RX life battery connection

I have been searching the forum for answers that can help me establish how to best connect my life battery to the ikon . However the answers I found were conflicting . Some said that 2 power cables into the ikon are necessary and/or helpful and others said its not . I know that with BECs you should plug in both wires if possible so that you can obtain double the current capability but I'm unsure if that applies to RX batteries connected directly into the FBL .

My life battery has 3 wires . A standard balance wire , a servo lead output and a deans output . Right now I have only the deans wire hooked up straight into the ikon . Should I also plug in the other output lead ? If so would any port work ?

Again all the answers I've read said that the dual power input effect is cumulative and beneficial , others said it's not . I'm confused now , can someone clarify once and for all please ?

SO OTHERS MAY LIVE ...
FREESTYLER_LB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2016, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The connections and wires we use to provide power to our electronics are dated. They were probably completely accurate years ago before the advent of digital servos and 4 cell NiCad batteries. Today we are still using the same servo connector that is subject to a limited current capability that wears out over time. We are also still using for the most part the 20 to 26 gauge wires. Years ago guys started realizing that in some systems these components were creating a current bottleneck and causing performance issues. Since it's somewhat difficult to evaluate and diagnose our circuits, doubling up power feed has become recognized as a best practice. Many people fly just fine with one servo connector providing power for their whole system. The problem is they never really know just how close they are to the point where their power feed will become limiting causing heating and voltage drops. IOW's they may have no overhead in their circuit which is generally recognized as a bad thing. Doubling up power feeds is cheap insurance at worst and will prevent a loss of your model at best.

Lately several manufactures have begun designing heavy duty power buses into their systems. These often allow you to electronically switch the RX pack on and off reducing connection cycle wear and tear and also allowing a heavy gauge wire feed to the system.

For systems without this you can achieve largely the same effect by feeding two connectors off of your RX battery. I use a 20 gauge multi strand copper wire from Hansen Hobbies http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...ttery/sw_si20/ and make up a Y harness with two JR connectors into the RX/FBL unit and whatever battery connector you choose on the other end. I use XT-60 connectors for my RX packs.

As to where to plug these in you can plug them into any open servo ports your RX/FBL has available. Internally these devices have the ground and power pins all tied together. It is essentially a bus where you can either feed or draw power from any given point. Just remember several manufactures place a port inline with the rest of the inputs that is NOT tied to the circuit like the other ports. It is often a port that accepts various signal, IO, governor, or programer data. Accidently putting power on the wrong pins can smoke your expensive device. Read the instructions closely.
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2016, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you for the very detailed explanation , it makes much better sense now , much appreciated . You even answered another question that I didn't ask so as to avoid over complicating my original question . It was relating to those new built in heavy duty connectors and power buses that are showing up in the new FBL systems hitting the market recently . That was another thing that was adding to my confusion specialy since I'm considering the new BRAIN 2 HD which does have that heavy duty connector and I wasn't completely sure what it was for . Thanks again for clarifying all of that .

SO OTHERS MAY LIVE ...
Old 05-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your Welcome,

I just pre-ordered 2 of the new Brains. Both Bluetooth. One HD, one without. The HD unit will be used on my Nitro 700. It has the RX battery forward under the canopy. Quite honestly the best part of the HD unit is it has the electronic switch which will allow me to fuel and go without removing the canopy. The nitro also needs at least one open port for running my switch glo igniter. The standard unit will go on the electric 700. It's RX battery is out back and I can easily get to the battery plug. At any rate the canopy has to be removed on each flight to connect the flight packs. I also don't need any extra ports on this heli so frankly the HD unit is of limited value. I will double up my battery feeds.
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2016, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I agree , I'm liking that power switch idea very much specialy since I'm using a RX battery . However , after reading the over 50 pages everywhere discussing the Brain 2 , it does seem like pilots are divided into two camps regarding that power switch . Some for and some against . It says if the switch fails it won't interrupt power so unless I'm missing something , I fail to see what the issue is .

I only have the single 800 heli for now , so only one Brain 2 HD BT for me . If I expand my hangar again I think I'll stick with Brain . I'm loving the Ikon I got on my heli right now .

SO OTHERS MAY LIVE ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in