Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos

MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 10:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think its the only 450 size heli that have:

1- thicker spindle and spindle bolts ( 2 mm tool vs 1.5)

2- support bearing on top of the motor like 700 size

3- third bearing on the main shaft.

Pure quality
invertsick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 03:36 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

- 4. i never saw such holding fixtures (? correct word - sorry...) for the stopnuts in the bladeholders... very comfortable...

macem
macem is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mini tail is miles better than pro. Holding much better in backward high speed hurricanes and no tail wagging tendencies at all. No slop anywhere !

Good quality from motor, esc, bearings, design, etc.

Waiting for stretch mini, heh heh...
4cyclic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cyclic View Post

Waiting for stretch mini, heh heh...
hopefully soon
invertsick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

just got my mini in the mail also. looking forward to getting up and going. I have always flown align birds so a change of pace will be nice. i am very happy to hear you guys all like this heli so much i must say its gotta be the best looking 450 i have seen yet.
williecrash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well, after who knows how many weeks of owning this helicopter I finally was able to finish it this morning and maiden it this afternoon. 20 mph winds here in Ohio and this thing handled it amazingly. Keep in mind my point of reference for handling wind is a Trex 250 so you can imagine that I was impressed.

I'm surprised by how stable it is and how cool the drive train sounds. The thing just hangs in the air no matter if it's up-right or inverted. Absolutely awesome.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Told ya so.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:21 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Mini Protos Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit44rc View Post
Well, after who knows how many weeks of owning this helicopter I finally was able to finish it this morning and maiden it this afternoon. 20 mph winds here in Ohio and this thing handled it amazingly. Keep in mind my point of reference for handling wind is a Trex 250 so you can imagine that I was impressed.

I'm surprised by how stable it is and how cool the drive train sounds. The thing just hangs in the air no matter if it's up-right or inverted. Absolutely awesome.
exit44rc, man I love Helis and this past month its been a toss-up as to what kit to get first: Mini Protos or Rave 450 3D.

Both Helis seem like they fly on rails and I've read tons about the stability and ease of flight on the Rave 450 3D that appeals to an intermediate pilot like myself. Still learning 3D basics.

May I ask what setup you chose for your Mini Protos? (e.g. servos, gyro, etc...)

My eventual build will incorporate a Spektrum DX8 and if I get the Mini Protos I'll get the BeastX. I'd go full on flybarless with the Mini Protos.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3L72 View Post
exit44rc, man I love Helis and this past month its been a toss-up as to what kit to get first: Mini Protos or Rave 450 3D.

Both Helis seem like they fly on rails and I've read tons about the stability and ease of flight on the Rave 450 3D that appeals to an intermediate pilot like myself. Still learning 3D basics.

May I ask what setup you chose for your Mini Protos? (e.g. servos, gyro, etc...)

My eventual build will incorporate a Spektrum DX8 and if I get the Mini Protos I'll get the BeastX. I'd go full on flybarless with the Mini Protos.
I know you asked exit, but I run plain old Hitec HS-65HBs on the cyclic, and a JR3500G on the tail. I'm running the AR7200BX for FBL control. Everything else is stock. I've never flown a nicer heli, nor owned another heli that made me this excited. I've not had the Rave, but frankly, I've got absolutely NO reason to try another model, unless someone just wanted to give it to me for free. LOL.

Go Mini P, you won't go back.
RCHN #0650 AMA# 448427
th0rg0d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Rave 450 is super high maintenance, Have you not read all the horror stories of self stripping tourqe tube gears and exploding tourqe shafts. tails etc. New tourqe tubes coming too short or too long. Parts availabilty that is not very good a lot of times. No third lower bearing block on the main shaft. (might help solve the self stripping tt gears). I am not trying to knock it but research it well. Very expensive considering it seems to be a constant major maintenance heli in my opinion. Maybe Chris will chime in on his experience with the rave.
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 03:05 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a rave3D and had about 200 flights on it. When I sold it I was still on the original set of the black gears that I installed when I got it. I spent some time making sure gear mesh was correctly set and after the initial 6 or 8 flights taking it easy I reset the gear mesh and then flew the crap out of it. I never had a crash on the heli it was just flawless. The only parts replaced were the dampeners, thrust bearings and some plastic links. I sold it as getting the parts in OZ and the price of parts was quite high but I think the MP is about the same price. I went the MP as my local store I buy from is the importer of the mini protos so it was easier for me to get parts and backup service shall I need it. One thing I loved was how it locked into fast hurricanes and funnels. The other I really liked was auto's.

I can't really say which one is better as I only had 12 flights on my mini.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, let's just say my Rave experience was the total opposite of yours! Mine split a torque tube in 3 out of 8 flights I had on it. The last one split, which then caused a violent tail wag, which stripped the gears, which then jammed up the entire drive mechanism causing a 'blade stop auto' from about 200ft up. I put what was left in a shoebox and sold it (losing my a$$ of course). The fact that spare parts for it cost more than they do for my Fusion 50 just adds insult to injury.

I also know of a CYE field rep that built his first Mini Rave. On his 3rd flight, the TT gears let go, and the tail shaft split, so he promptly sold it for a Mini-P..... And he never looked back.

The Mini Protos has been 100% trouble free for over a year of flying now. No comparison, in my experience.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lightbulb No Question About It...

With all the input I've received and everything I've read, it's settled with me...I'm purchasing the Mini Protos and building it flybarless. Everything I need is at A Main Hobbies and it'll be headed my way by Monday!

It'll have the MKS servo's, BeastX goodness, and some Fusuno bling for good measure. This will be my first build and I seriously can't wait.

The honor would of gone to the Rave 450 3D but I've had my fill of unnecessary repairing with my Walkera micro Helis and there's no denying that there are issues with the Rave's Tail Drive Assembly and Gearing. I haven't sworn off the Rave 450 yet and I'll keep my eye on what the guys at CY do to remedy those issues.

Course...once I've built and flown my Mini Protos, I may just lose my Rave Desire.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Course...once I've built and flown my Mini Protos, I may just lose my Rave Desire.
It happened to a club-mate of mine. His Rave(s) aren't getting any loving since he got a 6S Mini Protos.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
It happened to a club-mate of mine. His Rave(s) aren't getting any loving since he got a 6S Mini Protos.
It won't even take a 6s Mini P, a 3s Mini P and it's done. Over. Finished. You'll never look at another wanting. You won't be sorry with your purchase.

Sent from my Tapatalk using iPhone.
RCHN #0650 AMA# 448427
Old 04-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

No, it won't be over then, when you have your first mini protos. After a while you will want more Protos action, like a stretch mini or Protos 500 or 700.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nifty View Post
No, it won't be over then, when you have your first mini protos. After a while you will want more Protos action, like a stretch mini or Protos 500 or 700.
True. I do want both a stretch Prôtos and the 700. But I'm not giving another brand a second thought. I'm a fanboy through and through now.

RCHN #0650 AMA# 448427
Old 04-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Me too, though a TDR would be nice.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:39 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile LoL

Quote:
Originally Posted by th0rg0d View Post
It won't even take a 6s Mini P, a 3s Mini P and it's done. Over. Finished. You'll never look at another wanting. You won't be sorry with your purchase.

th0rg0d, yeah that's what I'm counting on! I personally love all my Helis but specifically, the Rave and Mini Protos both caught my eye.

With the Rave...how many years since it's been released and there are still issues with it...change to black gears, add shims, use metal gears...etc. Not sure why CY hasn't issued an Official notice to Next-D about it.

The Mini Protos it is!

Question though ??? I see a lot of the Mini Protos build on HeliFreak using Tail Servos rated at 4.8V (JR DS3400G/3500G); was there anything required in the setup to ensure that the Tail Servo didn't get zapped with 6.0V?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:08 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
th0rg0d, yeah that's what I'm counting on! I personally love all my Helis but specifically, the Rave and Mini Protos both caught my eye.

With the Rave...how many years since it's been released and there are still issues with it...change to black gears, add shims, use metal gears...etc. Not sure why CY hasn't issued an Official notice to Next-D about it.

The Mini Protos it is!

Question though ??? I see a lot of the Mini Protos build on HeliFreak using Tail Servos rated at 4.8V (JR DS3400G/3500G); was there anything required in the setup to ensure that the Tail Servo didn't get zapped with 6.0V?
The Rave is more of an advanced builders kit IMO. It is not a heli you can put together and have 0 issues if your new or relatively inexperienced to building. I know a few people not to far from me that have built and had little to no issues with theirs. They to my knowledge no longer fly them more due to the parts supply and cost in Australia than actaully any issues with parts or quality.

The mini is a kit that is able to be put together by just about anyone and it should fly fine.

As for your tail servo I am pretty sure the output by the YGE BEC is 5.5v so I would be confident that it will run that voltage fine through the tail servo. The 4.8v rating is for the old rating of a nicd 4 cell pack which charged is between 5.6-5.8v although it drops down fairly quickly.

If your still worried you can get a step down that will drop the voltage by about 0.7v

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in