Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Foamies and Park Flyers

Foamies and Park Flyers 3D Foamies and Park Flyers are an EXCELLENT way to improve your reflexes and stick finesse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 03:40 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

OK, time for some final thoughts. I did 10 more flights on the Edge yesterday for a total of 29 on this one. Truly a great plane and I am very satisfied with it. I does everything I ask of it well and is capable of much more than my current skills allow. With the recommended Omega 130 motor it has more than enough power on 3s 30c 2200 mAh batteries with a 14x7 prop. It will pull out of a hover at a little over half throttle. A takeoff at about 2/3 throttle and it leaps into the air in about 3 feet. Low speed handling is great as is tracking and everything else I can think of. I have tried it with a 40c battery but really can't tell any difference and the 40 I have is an ounce heavier than the 30c's. I have played around with CG a bit and for me the Edge flies best just a touch nose heavy but so does everything else I own or perhaps that is just my preference. Landing are smooth and easy. All in all this is everything I wanted in a plane and more so I will shut up now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad she's treating you well. Blew the dust off my Slick again this morning. Got rusty on my rolling circles but KE spins, flat spins and various other tumbles are still there. A little windy for good knife edge flying but managed a few passes here and there. Figured I needed to get my thumb reflexes up to par in anticipation of the newly announced Blade 130X, gonna be a sweet bird from what I can tell. Keep tearing holes in the sky brother. I'll let you know when we're having our cook out at the flying field, maybe you could come up and join us. I'd have to check to see if you could fly though, you have an AMA card?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Final final thoughts on the Edge. Over 50 flights on the Orange one now called "TANG". By far my favorite plane. This plane really has only one weakness, the landing gear wire is a bit flimsy. No matter how gently you land it eventually it is going to bend. Once it does and you straighten it back then it bends every couple flights no matter how softly you land. It is a small price to pay for what is truly an excellent plane. I am checking into some stiffer wire to make my own gear. I was lucky that the gear from my blue Edge survived the crash so I have that for a spare for now. Thanks to all who have read and followed this thread.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not sure how it attaches, but you could look into attaching the carbon gear from their 47" Extra SHP. My worry would be that the Edge fuselage was designed to have the wire gear absorb the impact, so the mounting point might not be as strong, whereas the Extra has carbon gear so the fuselage is very reinforced where it attaches.
Ace4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoeldragon View Post
Destroyed my Edge Sunday morning! No rx problems or anything else to blame it on. Simple pilot error! Have been trying to get used to flying the whole pack in high rates and it bit me in the arse. Got a bit close to a light pole and panicked, rolled too hard, drug a wingtip and cartwheeled on the pavement. Every body part except the elevator has at least some damage. On a brighter note 3DHS has the Orange Edge I really wanted back in stock. The pole in front of the wreckage is the one I was trying to avoid hitting, and yes I did not hit the pole. Should have yanked back on the elevator instead of rolling. The pole I passed right before the crash was the one that made me panic then I saw I was headed straight for the other one and the rest is history. Will be ordering new Edge Thursday morning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtZnWbyGw5w
Lessons learned don't fly near light poles. Pitch up rather than roll away. Don't panic in the first place.
ouch, that is why i bought a foam plane, i am hoping when that happens it wont hurt so bad. sorry to see you crashed,

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh crap!! This whole time I thought you got a balsa plane Danny, oops. :-)
Old 05-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ace a guy on the RCGroups Edge 540 thread did as you suggested and his worked out great. Someone else used the gear from Extreme Flight Edge 540T. So I have several options.

Danny from the SR forum WOW! Long time bro. Yes I debated long and hard about my first 3D plane and almost bought the Carbon Z Yak for its' durability knowing that I would eventually do a dumb thumbs move. I may still pick one up down the road a bit for a beater plane. I cried for about a day after I crashed the blue Edge but I like the Orange one even better as it is much easier to see and is the one I really wanted in the first place.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nope, it, foam, there is some wood inside of the fuselodge but that OS about it.

I like foam because I know I will get.allotpre crashes out of it, being that this is my first plane and I have never landed something with wheels on it foam is a good idea. Belly landings are easy but I jear landing planes with wheels is tricky. So when I fly someones plane that has wheels I alwaus let them land it.

I think I would have veen ok with balsa but the foamy planes seem to be my favorite for some reason. I almost wish I would have got a 40 inch insteas of a 48 inch, it takes up allot of room.

dont beet ur self up over crashing your plane though. That crap happens to the best of us so it was bound to happen some time

Sent from my little tablet, spelling may be much worse than usual.

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in