Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters

Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default diabolo swashplate

Notice the hard corner finish on the diabolo swashplate.
any chance Gerd can add a small bevel instead of hard 90 degree finish.

this would easily snap in two in a crash.

fellow pilot crash is diabolo few weeks back and 3 of them snap clean right at that corner.
small bevel would add better strength.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120212_0106.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	322636  
HeliFX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What you do not show that the "hard line" is from above a circle and not a straight line. Try with your fingers to bend this...
Gerd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

well judging by the swashplate damage on a fellow pilot's diabolo.

it sheared and snapped on those 3 points of the swashplate. Don't know.
we where think another bevel from the side view could add that additional strength.

anyway just an observations and suggestion.

take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerd View Post
What you do not show that the "hard line" is from above a circle and not a straight line. Try with your fingers to bend this...
Old 06-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is the actual swashplate that HeliFX's referring to: (only 2 snapped off)
Notice the clean shearing on the swashplate's ears. The sharp corner inside the swashplate is like folding a paper to make a line and then tearing it. Would it tear on those areas if it was rounded? It could have just bent and maybe I could still have used it. From this crash this is the only part that cost the most aside from the main blades. The tail boom survived the crash and still straight as an arrow.

Anyway I am still happy because no major damage on the heli. I was able to rebuild it without taking apart the frame. I was able to operate on it from the top.

Thanks HeliFX for bringing this up.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4047.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	322681   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4048.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	322682   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4049.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	322683   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4050.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	322684  
JR Sylphide E12, JR Forza 700, JR Vibe E12, JR Vibe SG Nitro, TDR, TDR #2 speed, Minicopter Diabolo, Logo 690sx, Logo 480 Xxtreme, Goblin 570, Dji F550, Dji S800 (w/ Retract, Zenmuse 15N), Octocopter X8 w/ DJI Lightbridge "in the works".
johnnytango is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

Wow that was a pretty hard smack judging by the bent spindle and mast ! I doubt whether an extra fillet of alloy in the corner would have made much difference - I certainly wouldn't straighten a bent swash in a heli of this size and re-use it - too much at stake. It's an interesting observation though and worth bearing in mind for the future

I suspect the swash corners breaking is more a reflection of the alloy used than the machining - a high tensile strength alloy is going to be more brittle than a softer lower strength material so it's always a matter of balancing the two - time will tell if that balance is right in the Diabolo !
Old 06-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

no problem John,

Not knocking the design or workmanship.
just trying to make a nice machine even nicer.

these examples and crash's hopefully can be used to help isolate any weakness that can be improved upon and further assist the guys at minicopter.

its clear the solid and beefy nature of all the components on the control loop of the diabolo certainly can stress even the strongest of parts.

something has to give. right
personally would prefer it to be a cheaper part of the heli
Old 06-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

I understand - I appreciate the spirit in which you're reporting this finding - my comments are just my own 2c worth !

I think crash reports are very useful for owners and manufacturers to help guide which spares to get in and also help improve the product - I'd encourage more people to send in photos especially with a new design though I hope we don't see too many decked Diabolos !!!
Old 06-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Johnny tango flying has improved greatly and his crash was really unfortunate but rare occurrence.

It wasn't a particularly violent crash despite what the photos show but the parts that suffered the most damage was a little surprising.

Have a closer look at the main shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuriell View Post
I understand - I appreciate the spirit in which you're reporting this finding - my comments are just my own 2c worth !

I think crash reports are very useful for owners and manufacturers to help guide which spares to get in and also help improve the product - I'd encourage more people to send in photos especially with a new design though I hope we don't see too many decked Diabolos !!!
Old 06-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm impressed with the ruggedness of this heli. A "mushroom cloud" of dust appeared when my heli hit the ground .Other helis would have been written off. Parts replaced were: main shaft gear, main shaft, feathering shaft, dampening o-rings, o-ring holder, 1 plastic ball joint, anti rotation device (for elevator) D033, 2 mainshaft bearings, 1 skid pipe. Parts that were salvagable and doesnt need replacing were the 3 threaded rods that I was able to bend back to shape using a drill's chuck. Front skid bow was bent back too using the my other kit's bow as a template. Blades were gone and little cracks on the canopy. Everything else are okay. First flight yesterday after the crash and still flies flawlessly.

John
JR Sylphide E12, JR Forza 700, JR Vibe E12, JR Vibe SG Nitro, TDR, TDR #2 speed, Minicopter Diabolo, Logo 690sx, Logo 480 Xxtreme, Goblin 570, Dji F550, Dji S800 (w/ Retract, Zenmuse 15N), Octocopter X8 w/ DJI Lightbridge "in the works".

Last edited by johnnytango; 06-08-2012 at 06:05 AM..
Old 06-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Crash happened 2 Saturdays ago. Ordered parts from Peak 2 days after the crash. Received parts today to replenish parts taken from 2nd kit. Not bad, less than 2 weeks turn around.Everything came except for the swash which is on its way from Germany to Peak then to me.

Last edited by johnnytango; 06-07-2012 at 11:44 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in