Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > NX4

NX4 Discussion and support of the Gaui NX4 Nitro Helicopter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gas vs Nitro

Hey guys, my hobby fund has accumulated enough to afford another heli. I am really leaning towards an NX4. So I have been lurking in this forum for a couple weeks. I have all the electronics to fit it, except for a throttle servo, but that ought to be simple enough.

But I am at a crossroads now. Do I just jump in with the nitro? Or do I wait to get the gasser?

-Electronics are the same
-I have tuned nitro before and work on chainsaws sometimes so the gasser should be up my alley as well
-I would like to experience the ease of a gasser in terms of fuel
-I am not sure how I feel about waiting until the release (any idea on the date)?

Thanks!
bgymr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The gasser is still new, so we don't know what kind of power it's going to produce compared to nitro. Traditionally, nitro has more power for the same kind of weight. You will get much longer flight times on a gasser though.

The new videos look very promising though.

Hard to say at this point since no one has flown them except a handful of team pilots.
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My opinion is nitro! Nothing like the smell of nitro, the smoke of nitro and the ease of use!

Keep in mind you're mixing oil with the gas and based on what I've heard it's not pump gas you'd need, it is a higher octane gas like 97 or something like that..

Last edited by Matt Nasca; 04-25-2014 at 01:27 PM..
Matt Nasca is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't buy a nitro ... Jeff hated it so much that he will sell it to me for 10% of the moeny he put in this machine . I hate nitro too that's why I warn you .. flight time are so long it's kinda boring to fly that long, power on this NX4 is almost like electric power so why bother ... Really don't buy one or if already bought I can provide my address for shipping as I like to help ppl

More seriously, I've seen it flying last Sunday and it's a cool little machine .... you got power, not quite like electric power but close enough to have more than what you want .... flight time is twice the electric one and you can obviously do around 12-15 flights with a 40$ gallon of 30% nitro ....

I was extremely concern with all the troubles I've read about when the machine hits the customers but lately it obviously has been good or it was an over reaction from customers at starts ... probbaly a mix of both ....

I do think it's a good way to go for nitro ...

Cheers
Flydynamics is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

its pretty tough for anyone to say buy one or the other unless they have flown a gas version of it... if your not in a hurry why not just wait... if you are it looks like it may be a simple swap so you can always get a nitro version and maybe buy the gas engine later

I personally dont want to buy nitro so I am waiting for the gas engine... and with the gas engine you can mix premium gas from the gas station with 2 cycle oil.. where I live after mixing is less than 5 bucks a gallon
michael88997 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael88997 View Post
its pretty tough for anyone to say buy one or the other unless they have flown a gas version of it... if your not in a hurry why not just wait... if you are it looks like it may be a simple swap so you can always get a nitro version and maybe buy the gas engine later

I personally dont want to buy nitro so I am waiting for the gas engine... and with the gas engine you can mix premium gas from the gas station with 2 cycle oil.. where I live after mixing is less than 5 bucks a gallon
I do think that is the best way of doing the thing !... very wise.

I did fly Gas helicopter when I was living in France a while ago. Machine tended to be a bit heavier with less power. vibration level at idle was also way more important and brwaking in process was longer.
Now fuel cost was close to nothing .... Main problem for me at this period, I didn't own the gas helicopters I have been able to fly, I was just setting them for their owners but transportation in your car (talking about big aerobatic plane) was a pain ... smell of gas in your car for 3 or 4 days after having carried the model all weekend was not really something I liked a lot ....

Just one more thing to consider as I never seen it anywhere .....
Old 04-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

When are you going to pull the trigger on one of these shotgun34?

By the sounds of it your impressed with Jeffs. Hes got me looking at them too.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

You smell that? Do you smell that?

Nitromethane, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

You know, one time we had a heli smacked for twelve minutes. When it was all over I walked up, we didn't find one electric, not one stinkin' electric. But the smell!

You know - that nitro smell... the whole hill! Smelled like... victory.

.... Some day this Fun Fly is going to end ....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kilgore.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	504690  
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jeff, it's reminds me the T-shirts we had a the drop zone when skydiving every single day of the week .... "I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning" ....
Scott, I'm thinking of one or maybe bigger, TSA 700N or maybe a Gaui 700 nitro ?....
If I'm lucky I might be able to test someone's NX4 on Sunday .....
Old 04-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jeff.... Awesome.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Barrett View Post

Nitromethane, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

You know, one time we had a heli smacked for twelve minutes. When it was all over I walked up, we didn't find one electric, not one stinkin' electric. But the smell!

Awesome Poetic License
Old 06-15-2016, 02:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

sorry to revive this but that post should be a nitro sticky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Barrett View Post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in