Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks, Xrayted, you've been most helpful in my GPS journey.

Dan
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbreath View Post
Thanks, Xrayted, you've been most helpful in my GPS journey.

Dan
Glad to help, and the video and deck behavior you were referring to may have been mine, as I shot some early ones that looked exactly like you describe but its a fake out.

The min deck was 8m back at that time, and if you flew parallel to the deck fast while suddenly dropping into it, you could penetrate it a good bit before the rescue would kick in and the forward momentum of the FFF would cause the heli to "skip" off the deck like a rock and then shoot it up to its hold position.

The hold position would end up being about 150 feet out in front of where the rescue actually occurred because it would take that long to stop the helis forward movement. This would give the appearance on video that the heli was just bouncing off the deck like a force field and continued flying away, but in reality I became a spectator with no control as soon as the rescue occurred.

This is one thing you need to always be aware of when flying fast near other objects, trees, ets. If a rescue of any kind occurs there may be a lot of space needed to slow things down to a stop depending on models size and mass, what it was doing and its trajectory, so allow appropriate padding around the model at all times as you will have no control on where it goes before it stops.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dang, nice work! At least my two recent gps setup helis did the return home feature right where they took off. My super light 420mm stretched Chase tends to over shoot and toilet bowl slightly it there is any wind at all before it hits the sweet spot. But I haven't dialed in the gps fully, and its original pre release swash is crap with more slop than I like. The heavier helis tend to hit it spot on.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm flying on a dirt road over scrub/grass that is about hip high this summer. No trees, and plenty of room to overshoot in all directions. If I pack it in, the brush is green and fairly forgiving (I have to land my sailplane in it). I've test flown in the back yard, but I do nothing crazy there.

Dan
Old 07-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gps2 pitch pumps up and down?
With out the Lzr I get really drastic pitch pump motions with activating the Gps modes let's say rescue now Gps option.
The Heli pitch pumps up and down some times manageable some times out of control up and down.
With the Lzr it no so bad.
Any input on this behavior?
I will try the manage collective gain from default to 10. And see how this goes.
But one thing I did notice is without the Lzr my Gps is useless.
unless I just don't understand it.
Smk-A$$-3D™ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2016, 01:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smk-A$$-3D™ View Post
Gps2 pitch pumps up and down?
With out the Lzr I get really drastic pitch pump motions with activating the Gps modes let's say rescue now Gps option.
The Heli pitch pumps up and down some times manageable some times out of control up and down.
With the Lzr it no so bad.
Any input on this behavior?
I will try the manage collective gain from default to 10. And see how this goes.
But one thing I did notice is without the Lzr my Gps is useless.
unless I just don't understand it.
Yeah, we are working on another heli right now that is exhibiting this behavior at times. See this thread...https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=750291
Old 07-27-2016, 11:26 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
I'm not personally aware that the GPS should have anything to do with anything, as the 10% rule only applies to the GPS functions, and your model will fly normally without the GPS being set up first. The LED will still turn green and the model will go into a ready state. It's easy enough to test in flight and see if the SL is still performing normally after getting it all set up.

On another note.......you do know that you dont have to use bank switching just for SL functionality since V4 software was released last year dont you? Its no issue to leave it as is, but you can simply assign the "self level gain" function to the same button rather than bank switching with a gain of 1 (there is no zero) for SL off position and whatever SL gain you want for the SL on position, and SL will work all within the same bank. You use the channel endpoints for the button to set the gain values.
I am a little confused, there are 2 cyclic banks both allow for SL.
If one bank is checked SL and the other is not you can fly normal then when needed switch to the cyclic bank with SL. As a Bailout. These banks are on 1 switch....
Are you saying that the cyclic banks can stay on a switch "whatever switch"
And SL. Solely can be assigned to it's own separate switch or button aside from the cyclic banks independently ?
This way you always have your open cyclic banks and have a separate switch / button to activate SL.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:51 AM   #28 (permalink)

=] Yes, you can assign SL Gain, Gov Gain, Bell Gain to any spare channels,,,,,,

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2016, 01:12 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unbelievable.....
I purchased the Brain 2 just because of this. To have all banks open......and self level on a separate switch. Witch is now their rescue. I just got the Protos 380 and the Brain 2 was bricked would not power up. At this point I just don't trust it now.

Now I just have to figure this out when get home today.....I just figured it was in the bank and left it that way never thought to research it. Till I ran into this thread.

I have two Sk720 setups with the Gps2 and the Lzr. Had them for about 2 years now when I first set out to find the "best" recovery system and to this day I love my Skookums. And I still stand behind the rescue is flawless and "never" had any bad tendencies.. always "LEVEL" with rescue. And I mean "Spirit Level"
Every time.
As for Other FBL I just could never say that about. Ever.. and I'v had just about every FBL made to date. But never sold the Skookum they really should be proud of them selfs.
One on a G500 sport.
And just fitted one on the Protos 380.

Is there a way you would be able to briefly describe how to set the self level to a gain.?

I am just under the impression it's just in the bank and it can be turned on or off with and high or low percentage of recovery in the cyclic.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Set advanced in your Preference/Interface menu.

In the Control tab:

You have gear/Aux2/Aux3/Aux4 options for cyclic bank/gain, etc. One of those options is self level gain. The switch assigned to the channel you want to use will control this. When you watch "gains used in flight" under the View menu, you want the value to be 1 (likely zero in your transmitter) for no SL gain, and whatever gain you want for self level/rescue--which can go as high as 250, I think. Mine is set at 200. This is the Skookum number, not the value shown in your transmitter. 100 in the xmtr may be 250 in the gains used in flight.

Xrayted may want to QC this post since he showed me how it works, but I think I have it pretty close to correct. This assigned switch is independent of the GPS banks.

Dan

Edit: I have a P380 on back order. Would the Sk720B fit in the Brain's place?
Old 07-27-2016, 04:29 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

You know its so funny after all this time I just didn't even bother. I had my SK set with a optimized file from omerco changed a few things and I was locked in. flew so sweat I just basically forgot about everything because everything is just so locked in.....
I have a dx9 and used :
gear/ for cyclic
Aux2/Tail
Aux3/Gps1
Aux4Gps2
I'm checking everything out now.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for the Help, This is great now I have the self level set to the bind button on the dx9 this is awesome....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14696550734532116818969.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	663792   Click image for larger version

Name:	1469655161223107423949.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	663793   Click image for larger version

Name:	1469655344267231988563.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	663795  
Old 07-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad I actually knew enough to help!

Dan
Old 02-14-2017, 11:33 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
I have been using SK720 for over 3 years, and it has been great, i guess it must be called the SK720 BLUE.
Yesterday i decided to add the GPS2

Sk720 Software 4.09 ( I hope this update was for the BLUE SK720
Firmware 4.05
Gyro Serial no 1781
GPS2 Serial no 2144
Firmware 1.21

during the setup, I am able to programme Aux2 to GPS sw1, and have set it to Manual/Position Hold/Return to Home. and the indications on the Computer are indicating correctly.
BUT
when i select GPS sw1 to Manual, and now make selections to GPS sw2, with Aux3, nothing happens.
ALSO
I have Cyclic Bank selected to Aux4, and when i make a selection, nothing happens.

However, it appears, that only if i make Aux2 to GPS sw2 or Cyclic Bank, i can see it work.

So any selections to Aux3 or Aux4, just does not work

I have checked the monitor on the Tx to make sure i have correct selections on the 3 switches. Also all the sw are 3 post sw.

I am attaching a video to show my sw operation and software indications.

Any help will be welcome.

I tried a compass swing, which i though the indications went good.
but the GPS module 4 blue lights just kept on giving Slow Flash, meaning it is not getting GPS lock, with the Gyro light Green solid, the GPS2 Led Green solid.
I kept the system on for 5 min, than tried 10 min, but just not getting Solid Blue on GPS Led or the 4 GPS module lights.

Will do another Compass Swing today, and make a note after that as to how many Sats it is seeing and how many are locking

Ramesh Tahlan SK720 GPS sw and Cyclic (0 min 26 sec)
rameshtahlan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 07:49 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Today did the Compass Swing
The software shows Compass Swing Completed and
Visible Satellites 21
Acquired Satellites 19
BUT
still not getting Solid Blue on GPS bright Led or on the 4 blue lights on GPS module.
it keeps flashing indicating searching for satellites.

I am not suspecting the GPS2 module itself.

Is there anything else I can do ?
(Just adding a comment, to avoid confusion, this image of laptop was taken outdoor in good open space. Not indoors)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sats.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	694457  

Last edited by rameshtahlan; 02-16-2017 at 09:24 PM..
Old 02-16-2017, 06:55 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Inside, it has taken me up to 20 minutes to acquire satellites due to ceiling attenuation etc. But your picture shows 19 acquired. I didn't think that there would ever be 19 satellites overhead at the same time, so this is confusing. Can you take a laptop outside and try to initialize the system again with a clear view of the sky? Dan
Old 02-16-2017, 09:22 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Inside, it has taken me up to 20 minutes to acquire satellites due to ceiling attenuation etc. But your picture shows 19 acquired. I didn't think that there would ever be 19 satellites overhead at the same time, so this is confusing. Can you take a laptop outside and try to initialize the system again with a clear view of the sky? Dan
Hi Dan,
Thanks for the reply.

This computer images is taken outdoors in good open space.
It was not taken indoors.

Only the video is indoors to show the problem of programming Aux3 and 4, to show that i am not able to programme it, which also shows 10 and 5 satellites.

I am still not able to get Solid Blue, have been trying outside for past 4 days, with no luck.

I have sent 2 e mails to Skookum about 3 days back, awaiting for some kind of reply from them.

I have noticed one more info on the GPS2 laptop screen, the Live Data shows all as N/A. Is it because there is no GPS lock ?

Last edited by rameshtahlan; 02-17-2017 at 12:26 AM..
Old 02-17-2017, 06:12 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, with a lock you should get lat/lon. Can you ohm out the cable between GPS/Skookum and check the pins at both ends? It may be possible to put one end in upside down. Double check which plugs you're plugged into as well. It seems you're getting power but no data. Dan
Old 02-17-2017, 07:25 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes, with a lock you should get lat/lon. Can you ohm out the cable between GPS/Skookum and check the pins at both ends? It may be possible to put one end in upside down. Double check which plugs you're plugged into as well. It seems you're getting power but no data. Dan
Ok, Checked the plugs between SK720 and GPS2.
They are plugged in with correct orientation.

Still no luck, Tried to get Sat locks to day again. Getting good visible satellites, but no lock.
Still no reply from Skookum to my 2 e mails.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:20 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wrote to the website from where i got the Skookum, their replay was that if anything wrong with item, i should deal directly with Skookum, they only sell an item. They also said that this GPS2 was the last piece. Cheers. Looks like i am now convinced that i have a bad GPS2. And still no reply from Skookum.

SK720 and GPS2 are expensive items for a hobbies, i thought Skookum would have had a better customer interaction.

I have Jeti radio and telemetry items, they are very quick in their replies and get all the help one needs till problem is resolved, In addition, complete replacement warranty for 2 years. That i what i call customer satisfaction.

Still hoping i get a reply from Skookum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in