Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default DX8 settings for Blade SR? Anyone?

Hi guys,

Hope someone can help me out here. I am a nOOb with Helis and looking for a Spektrum DX8 setting. I am using a setting I have found for the DX7 but not sure if this is really the way to go as things seem to be different. I also do believe that the SR is not the most stable heli (not the best construction) but wanted to give it a try and I am not sure if I have missprogrammed something or have wrong values in. Also I have gone through the process of adjusting the swashplate e.t.c. already.

Values used so far:

Model type Heli
CCPM 120°
Servo Setup all 100% Travel; Subtrim all 0 except Elev 15D, Travel all 100%
DR Position 0 70 and Expo 30 on AIL and ELEV, Rudder 0 80% EXPO 30, Position 1 all 100
Throttle Curve 045,61,75,100 EXP ACT
Swashplate AIL +60, ELE +60, Pitch +30, EXPO Act
Gyro Pos 0 66.5%, POS 1 50%
Pitch Curve 42,46,50,75,100

Following symptoms when flying; Twitches strongly (Tail), Seems to have more weight on the tail so forcing backwars and strong right preference on flying.

Hope that someone can help me out here.

Last edited by Locoracers; 01-21-2011 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: Incorrect number
Locoracers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locoracers View Post
Hi guys,

Hope someone can help me out here. I am a nOOb with Helis and looking for a Spektrum DX8 setting. I am using a setting I have found for the DX7 but not sure if this is really the way to go as things seem to be different. I also do believe that the SR is not the most stable heli (not the best construction) but wanted to give it a try and I am not sure if I have missprogrammed something or have wrong values in. Also I have gone through the process of adjusting the swashplate e.t.c. already.

Values used so far:

Model type Heli
CCPM 120°
Servo Setup all 100% Travel; Subtrim all 0 except Elev 15D, Travel all 100%
DR Position 0 70 and Expo 30 on AIL and ELEV, Rudder 0 80% EXPO 30, Position 1 all 100
Throttle Curve 045,61,75,100 EXP ACT
Swashplate AIL +60, ELE +60, Pitch +30, EXPO Act
Gyro Pos 0 66.5%, POS 1 50%
Pitch Curve 42,26,50,75,100

Following symptoms when flying; Twitches strongly (Tail), Seems to have more weight on the tail so forcing backwars and strong right preference on flying.

Hope that someone can help me out here.
All of your settings look pretty good except for the gyro settings. First of all, make sure that you have the yellow lead from the gyro plugged into the receptacle labeled GEAR on the receiver. The yellow wire should be up (at the top). This allows you to set the gyro gain from within the transmitter instead of turning the pot on the gyro itself. With a DX6i (for example), settings between 0 and 50% will put the gyro in "rate mode", which you do not want! Settings between 50 - 100% put the gyro into heading hold mode, which you do want. If you set it too high though, the gyro will tend to overcompensate and you may see excessive tail wag or twitch.

Now comes the important part. The DX8 is different! The available settings for the gyro gain range from -100 to +100%. Between -100 to 0 is rate mode, and between 0 to 100% is HH mode. Get the picture? So your setting of 66.5% in Pos 0, is way too high. Try cutting this in half and set it to 33%, or so.

Here are my DX8 settings:

Swash type: 120, 3 servos
Gyro: Normal 30%, Stunt 1: 28%
Pitch Curve N: 35, 42, 50, 75, 100
Pitch Curve 1: 0, 25, 50, 75, 100
Throttle curve N: 0, 25, 50, 75, 100
Throttle curve 1: 100, 88, 75, 88, 100
Swashplate: Ail +60, Ele +60, Pit +40

Hope this helps!

P.S. I set -30 expo on Elevator and Aileron, and +20 on Rudder. But that's just personal preference.

Last edited by all-thumbs; 01-20-2011 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: P.S.
all-thumbs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Hi all-thumbs,

First of all thanks a lot for your reply! Yellow wire is plugged into the RX at the right position with the lead up. GEAR is also correct. Also I have double checked all adjustments of the head and they seem correct accoring to my know how. The thing with the DX8 is intresting! I'll try that out during the weekend and of course post my results.

Cheers

Loco
Old 01-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just to add,,I just got a SR and setting it up in my DX7 ..Hope it flys better when programed into a real radio! ( it seems very touchy use the e-flite radio..Thanks for the (start setting thumbs!).
Also,loco,,Recheck your pitch curve #s 42,26,50,75,100,,Prob just typed wrong..
hawkeye690 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
All of your settings look pretty good except for the gyro settings. First of all, make sure that you have the yellow lead from the gyro plugged into the receptacle labeled GEAR on the receiver. The yellow wire should be up (at the top). This allows you to set the gyro gain from within the transmitter instead of turning the pot on the gyro itself. With a DX6i (for example), settings between 0 and 50% will put the gyro in "rate mode", which you do not want! Settings between 50 - 100% put the gyro into heading hold mode, which you do want. If you set it too high though, the gyro will tend to overcompensate and you may see excessive tail wag or twitch.

Now comes the important part. The DX8 is different! The available settings for the gyro gain range from -100 to +100%. Between -100 to 0 is rate mode, and between 0 to 100% is HH mode. Get the picture? So your setting of 66.5% in Pos 0, is way too high. Try cutting this in half and set it to 33%, or so.

Here are my DX8 settings:

Gyro: Normal 30%, Stunt 1: 28%
Swashplate: Ail +60, Ele +60, Pit +40

Hope this helps!

P.S. I set -30 expo on Elevator and Aileron, and +20 on Rudder. But that's just personal preference.
All-thumbs,

I can confirm that the source of the bad behaviour has been the gyro settings. I ended up now at 32.5 and it flys better then out of the box :-). Have also tried 25% setting on gyro and 32.5 works way better. Also I have made some adjustments in trimming Elev e.t.c. but those are just minor ones to keep the bord perfectly stable.

My settings (I have not used the 3D settings so far as I am still in the beginner mode):

Gyro: Normal 32.5%, Stunt 1: 28%
Swashplate: Ail +60, Ele +60, Pit +30

Thanks again for your help all-thumbs!
Old 01-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
All-thumbs,

I can confirm that the source of the bad behaviour has been the gyro settings. I ended up now at 32.5 and it flys better then out of the box :-). Have also tried 25% setting on gyro and 32.5 works way better. Also I have made some adjustments in trimming Elev e.t.c. but those are just minor ones to keep the bord perfectly stable.

My settings (I have not used the 3D settings so far as I am still in the beginner mode):

Gyro: Normal 32.5%, Stunt 1: 28%
Swashplate: Ail +60, Ele +60, Pit +30

Thanks again for your help all-thumbs!
My SR keeps shutting down (as if I used the TH switch) in mid-air. Each time good parts are destroyed when if falls like a rock to the ground. I've replaced both motors, spindle and very carefully balancing the blades. However, it did it again a few minutes ago. It must be the ESC, there's not much left.

Each rebuild required readjusting the DX8 to match the new SR parts. I found using the DX8's e-ring function in the swash menu is handy. It prevents excessive servo movement in the four corners of the cyclic stick (upper left, upper right, lower left and lower right).

The e-ring feature allows more aggressive Ail/Ele Swash settings. I've worked up to Ail: +80 Ele: +80 Pit: +32. These values provide Ail and Ele response closer to normal (non-trainer) CP heli.

A setting of 60 limits Ail/Ele to only +5/-5 cyclic pitch, if that. 80+ results in about +7/-7. Check for binding in the head, before blindly using those Ail/Ele settings.

A Pit value much greater than 30 isn't required. The SR doesn't lack collective pitch range, but cyclic pitch is somewhat limited.
LizardMan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Settingfiles Blade SR for Spektrum DX8

Hi guys,

I have posted the settingfiles for the Blade SR and the Blade MSR here on my page: http://locoracers.com/wp-content/upl...8-settings.zip

They can be downloaded and imported into the SD Card on the DX8.

Cheers

Loco
Old 02-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I need someone to walk me threw this step by step. From the moment i turn my tx on to the time i put power to the heli for lift off!!! please help. i understand some of these terms but not all of them. i am not sure what switches need flipped. and so on. the guy at my lhs doesnt really know what he is doing when it comes to programming these tx's. so i figured i would ask for some help from the pro's!!!
joemichielli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemichielli View Post
I need someone to walk me threw this step by step. From the moment i turn my tx on to the time i put power to the heli for lift off!!! please help. i understand some of these terms but not all of them. i am not sure what switches need flipped. and so on. the guy at my lhs doesnt really know what he is doing when it comes to programming these tx's. so i figured i would ask for some help from the pro's!!!
Check the thread you made for this question...
Old 02-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am thinking about upgrading my DX6i to either a DX7se or DX8 here in the near future. I'm just wondering how everyone likes your DX8? My LHS said they would sell either model at a great price and I am reallying liking the looks, feel and features of the DX8. Will I have any problems using the DX8 on the smaller birds I have listed in my sig.? I know the DX8 is complete overkill for the small heli's but they would great to get used to the 'feel' of the new transmitter. I have a SR on the way and will do doubt use that with the new TX after I get some flight time on it with the stock one. I figure since I am going to be in the hobby for awhile, I might as well throw down the cash now for a better transmitter that I can use for years to come. Thanks for any advice, I love the forum!!!
Beam E4-(Scorpion HK-2221-6,11T pinion, Phoenix 60, HS65MG cyclics, GY520),120SR, Trex 250SE (stock) MH bottom plate,GY-520,Futaba R6106, MCPx,DX7se,Futaba 8FG Super, HPI Vorza on Futaba 4PL.Honda HS928K1TA
olemil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Olemil, I do believe that you get a lot of bang for your bucks with the DX8. I only have had the problem with the gyro value setting which has been desibed in this tread for the Blade SR. If you look further up, I even have attached a link where you can donwload the setting and work yourself with the DX8 through from there. I am flying an MSR as well and the DX8 works great with that bird. I would say that you need to check the feel of the DX8 before buying to see if your comfortable with it. There might be better TXes but with a higher pricetag as well.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by olemil View Post
I am thinking about upgrading my DX6i to either a DX7se or DX8 here in the near future. I'm just wondering how everyone likes your DX8? My LHS said they would sell either model at a great price and I am reallying liking the looks, feel and features of the DX8. Will I have any problems using the DX8 on the smaller birds I have listed in my sig.? I know the DX8 is complete overkill for the small heli's but they would great to get used to the 'feel' of the new transmitter. I have a SR on the way and will do doubt use that with the new TX after I get some flight time on it with the stock one. I figure since I am going to be in the hobby for awhile, I might as well throw down the cash now for a better transmitter that I can use for years to come. Thanks for any advice, I love the forum!!!
the DX7se is discontinued because of the DSMX transition. the DX8 is its replacement.

don't pay top dollar for a DX7se. most places were blowing them out a few weeks back for $200. once you buy a DX7se and a 11ms compatible rx, you are with in a few bucks of a DX8 combo.
el guapo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by el guapo View Post
the DX7se is discontinued because of the DSMX transition. the DX8 is its replacement.

don't pay top dollar for a DX7se. most places were blowing them out a few weeks back for $200. once you buy a DX7se and a 11ms compatible rx, you are with in a few bucks of a DX8 combo.
That's what the salesman told me at the LHS, they were phasing them out. He is going to sell me a DX8 without the receiver and telemetry (sp?) unit taking the retail price of those off the total. It is only $50 more than he offered to sell me the DX7se after already reducing that quite a bit. It's a no brainer to me to get the DX8 for $50 more, looks to be twice the transmitter to me and feels so comfortable compared to my DX6i or DX7.
Beam E4-(Scorpion HK-2221-6,11T pinion, Phoenix 60, HS65MG cyclics, GY520),120SR, Trex 250SE (stock) MH bottom plate,GY-520,Futaba R6106, MCPx,DX7se,Futaba 8FG Super, HPI Vorza on Futaba 4PL.Honda HS928K1TA
Old 02-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Olemil, I do believe that you get a lot of bang for your bucks with the DX8. I only have had the problem with the gyro value setting which has been desibed in this tread for the Blade SR. If you look further up, I even have attached a link where you can donwload the setting and work yourself with the DX8 through from there. I am flying an MSR as well and the DX8 works great with that bird. I would say that you need to check the feel of the DX8 before buying to see if your comfortable with it. There might be better TXes but with a higher pricetag as well.
Yes I see you have your setting posted, that makes me want the DX8 even more to have the ability to do such a thing like that. I did hold the Dx8 today when I was there looking at it, he powered it up and I was totally grinning when it was all booted up! After programming the first few heli's in my Dx6i, the first thing that came to mind, why didn't they backlight the lcd, that alone gives the '8' two thumbs up in my book!!! There is no doubt in my mind that I would love this tx for a long time, and my goals in this hobby would never be beyond the limits of this tx. Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it!!
Old 03-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi guys,

I have posted the settingfiles for the Blade SR and the Blade MSR here on my page: http://locoracers.com/wp-content/upl...8-settings.zip

They can be downloaded and imported into the SD Card on the DX8.

Cheers

Loco
I just downloaded your files. I see there are two files for the SR which one is the correct file for a stock SR?
trammellc2001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, this thread is very helpful. Thanks
40rty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey everyone, new to the RC hobby, but have been messing with micro heli's for a while. I just wanted to say thanks for the help with the Blade SR settings. So for this website has been an absolute blessing. My blade SR came from the factory not ready to be flown, not to mention my failed swashplate at mid flight. But with the help from users here I have it up and running on with my DX8 radio.

Cheers
Newfiejudd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 01:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammellc2001 View Post
I just downloaded your files. I see there are two files for the SR which one is the correct file for a stock SR?
Hi, sorry I am replying so but have somehow overlooked the notice on replies in my inbox. Both are for the Blade SR but the first (BLD SR BLUE) is for one with a alu head tuning and the second one for one only with the alu swashplate. Hope this helps. Cheers Loco
Old 04-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiejudd View Post
Hey everyone, new to the RC hobby, but have been messing with micro heli's for a while. I just wanted to say thanks for the help with the Blade SR settings. So for this website has been an absolute blessing. My blade SR came from the factory not ready to be flown, not to mention my failed swashplate at mid flight. But with the help from users here I have it up and running on with my DX8 radio.

Cheers
The Swashplate is absolute crap out of the box. First thing you need to do is upgrade with the CNC one. Second is to decouple the gyro correctly to get rid of the tail wag. :-)
Old 04-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The Swashplate is absolute crap out of the box. First thing you need to do is upgrade with the CNC one. Second is to decouple the gyro correctly to get rid of the tail wag. :-)
That was exactly what I have done. So far it has been much more stable. I have upgraded the whole head to a CNC system except for the blade grips. As they are on back order.

Another strange issue I had was the tail fin coming apart. This has happened twice so far. Hasn't resulted in a crash but kinda worrying. Last time I was just starting my hover and it just came to pieces. Dropped it 6" but it was nothing serious for the training gear.
Newfiejudd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in