Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2015, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My Logo 550sx review

First purchased my logo 550sx in about October '14 which by the time I finished building it, put me near the end of the flying season around Chicagoland. Never had a chance to maiden it than year. I let it sit on my shelf for the winter, etc.

I was not a big fan of the build process. There's no obvious way to route the cables and I had lots of problems with the plastic parts etc. The build is not much fun. Actually, it sucks compared to SAB, etc. There's also the whole "only one motor issue" which has also been beaten to death in this and other subforums. Lots of reasons to hate on this heli.

Early in this season, I finally had a chance to test fly this heli. I was not impressed. Compared to my Goblin 500, this was just not much fun to fly. In stock form the heli reacted slow for me and just wasn't fun. I was pretty sure I was going to sell this heli.

Anyway, I brought this heli with me to IRCHA and purchased a 15T pinion for it. Also reconfigured it for the the Vbar gov instead of the YGE one. I also redid the whole setup again. I re-maidened it at IRCHA it felt great. I put about 6 flights on it that day and was pretty happy with it.

Since that time, I've been flying this heli non-stop. I've probably flown this heli about 40-50 times since then and it's now my go to "fly for fun" heli. I was totally not expecting it to be so, but it's so much fun to fly now with those slight modifications with the Vbar and pinion. It's now my default "must bring with me to the field" heli.

Kudos ot Mikado for sticking to a good design when they know it. I'm also glad I stuck with it to find out that this heli is just simply amazing to fly. In the end, I'm very very happy I purchased this heli. I'm going to keep it for a quite a while.

I also recently did my first ever piro flip with it in real life, and plan to do many more.
Goblin 500 Sport w/ Xnova/BK/Jive & NEO (rebuilt)
dominoedge is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2015, 03:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 550sx is a joy to fly, so easy to fly it!

For me it was love at first flight
Old 08-28-2015, 08:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

We have similar thoughts about this heli.

I consider the design elegant, but didn't enjoy building it either. That said I've crashed it pretty well 4 times and the frame has never broken and I've never stripped a servo gear, but bent the swash each and every time ( I may replace it with aftermarket as many have suggested)

It is my 3rd attempt at finding a 550 sized heli that I like, and it is a keeper.

It is extremely well balanced in the air and flies fantastic.
cbrian4 likes this.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

3 years with this logo550sx ( upgraded last year frm 500 3D )
last month upgraded to Mod1 slant gear. Fly even better..
Xfreak3D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2015, 08:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default logo 550 sx.

Motor options are not an issue if you buy a mod 1 main gear and 6mm main shaft .

ill never go to any other 550

Last edited by matt blaisdell; 08-28-2015 at 01:57 PM..
matt blaisdell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
We have similar thoughts about this heli.

I consider the design elegant, but didn't enjoy building it either. That said I've crashed it pretty well 4 times and the frame has never broken and I've never stripped a servo gear, but bent the swash each and every time ( I may replace it with aftermarket as many have suggested)

It is my 3rd attempt at finding a 550 sized heli that I like, and it is a keeper.

It is extremely well balanced in the air and flies fantastic.

Yeah, it's my 4th 500-550 class machine. I still love my G500 for high headspeed silliness, but for 1950-2050 flying, the 550sx just feels really nice now with the 15T. I've got it tuned similar to my Diabolo, so it makes a great heli to try out new moves on.

Only thing I may do is pop in that new Xnova 5mm motor for it once that's available. Maybe get a bit more flight time.
Goblin 500 Sport w/ Xnova/BK/Jive & NEO (rebuilt)
dominoedge is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2015, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sad to say my experience was short lived. I have a persistent slow wag with mini vbar and one particular flight it just blowout and send the heli straight down and totalled.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am sorry for your lost If you have the PRO version pull out the log file to check what happened.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wasn't thrilled with my first logo at first when I built it either. It was an early 2013 500SE. I had complaints about motor mount 25/30mm spacing, I didn't know how to wire it, and my ESC didn't fit very well, and my packs didn't fit very well, and I over amped the ESC on the first flight and crashed, and there were some tail vibes I couldn't get rid of... A couple flights in, the belt jumped off... I was really cussing that thing.

But then I realized most of those problems were my fault. I put a better ESC on it, mounted where it's supposed to go, got the right motor mount for my motor, realized that I was really over-thinking the wiring, and found an easy, neat way of doing it, and I converted the tail to a 600 boom cut down with the 600 tail assembly and my vibe problems went away. Looking back on it, it may have been my fault too, for not getting the carbon fin/plate perfectly parallel. Not sure.

So after all that... I fricking loved the thing. Still do. Now it's a full blown Logo 6003D, and it has a twin, my night flyer, and a bare airframe waiting to tag in whenever my next crash happens.

Now I can rebuild one in a few hours, wiring and all, and I'm wondering how I could have possibly had any problems on the first go-round. It's cake now. And nothing else quite flies like it.

So I too am glad I stuck it out. Totally worth it! My Goblin 500 got sold, and the Logo stayed ;-)
corrosionate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2015, 11:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i purchased a 550sx in march. had some issus with the belt jumping, static hit...i cussed that heli under the sun. once it all got figured out its like butter. love it. cant fly it enough, dont fly it enough. i will say a 16T pinion would make it better imo. cant wait for that to come out.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would say the 16T on a 550sx with the stock motor is a must. The 15T works great on a 550se though!

KevinB
KevinB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Would like to know if it is difficult to replace the 550sx main gear without removing this:

Old 09-06-2015, 05:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

In a word yes. What's the problem with removing it?
Roger_Salmon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2015, 05:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its worth buying a pair of snap ring pliers! With it its a 10 min job The alternative is to remove the head, swash, linkages, lock collars, and slip the belt pulley and main gear the entire length of the main shaft while pushing the shaft through the bearings.

Last edited by Pygmaeus; 09-06-2015 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: TYPO
Pygmaeus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Buy the pliers, $15 at ace hardware. It's worth it to save an hour of teardown
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2015, 09:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, get some snap ring pliers. I bought some Wihas hoping they were made in Germany, but they were only `designed' there, made in Viet Nam Forge or whatever.

If you find some good (German, Swiss, or Italian) metric snap ring pliers (inner and outer, 0 and 90 degree), post the info here or PM me.

I found these Knipex:

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1...5&groupID=1454
Old 09-07-2015, 09:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Would like to know if it is difficult to replace the 550sx main gear without removing this:

i'd say this ring is always a pain in the ass to remove, even with pliers (at least the ring pliers i have).
if you don't run the main shaft counter bearing, you can start using an 1cm longer main shaft and keep the gears in place with a 2nd collar, instead of this ring. that's how i do now and it works very well.
hilarious is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks mates, one more question, was it difficult to install the rudder servo into the frame? I have heard problems about it, too tight?
Old 09-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

That ring is a less than 5 second removal with the correct pliers. The cheap set I have from Harbor Freight work fine. The tail servo is a tight fit but also simple.
mc20piece is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2015, 10:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Got a pair of Channellock 926s years ago. Makes motor and Logo maintenance really easy.

http://www.amazon.com/Channellock-92.../dp/B001B82G16

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in