Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2015, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sim vs real world controls

So I finally broke down and bought myself an rc. I just need a controller and reciever now. While I'm waiting to build the rc though I've noticed something on my sim that's different from the toy grade heli's I have been using: the inputs to my collective do not return to there neutral position when I return the stick to it's neutral position on my sim. So if I give any input in any direction and return the stick to it's neutral state, my original input doesn't change until I give it an opposite input. Is this how it is supposed to work? I would have thought (and what I have seen on YouTube) that the input would return to it's neutral state with the right stick.

Can someone clarify this for me? Using realflight g5.5.
DaJokr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2015, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJokr View Post
So I finally broke down and bought myself an rc. I just need a controller and reciever now. While I'm waiting to build the rc though I've noticed something on my sim that's different from the toy grade heli's I have been using: the inputs to my collective do not return to there neutral position when I return the stick to it's neutral position on my sim. So if I give any input in any direction and return the stick to it's neutral state, my original input doesn't change until I give it an opposite input. Is this how it is supposed to work? I would have thought (and what I have seen on YouTube) that the input would return to it's neutral state with the right stick.

Can someone clarify this for me? Using realflight g5.5.
Totally normal for collective pitch.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

As mentioned above. this is exactly what you can expect from a collective pitch heli.

As you have found out, you command the attitude of the heli and if you leave it there, it will more or less keep that attitude. If that attitude means the heli will race off then nothing except your inputs can stop it from racing off.

Just a quick, simple example:
Let's say you're in a stable hover. You nudge the cyclic forward and that tilts the heli forwards. It will now _accelerate_ and keep accelerating until either drag builds up to stop the acceleration (the heli is still moving) or you nudge the cyclic backwards to tilt the heli _less_ forward or further, to tilt the heli backwards, where it will slow down, come to a stop before starting moving backwards. If the heli stops and intends to move backwards, give it an ever so tiny nudge forwards again to that sweet spot where the heli isn't going anywhere (for a second or 2 anyway).

This is very different from the stable toy helis/fixed pitch coaxials where letting go of the cyclic will have the heli adjust its attitude to get back into a hover.
If it ain't flyin, it's a downer,
LN400 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2015, 06:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LN400 View Post
As mentioned above. this is exactly what you can expect from a collective pitch heli.

As you have found out, you command the attitude of the heli and if you leave it there, it will more or less keep that attitude. If that attitude means the heli will race off then nothing except your inputs can stop it from racing off.

Just a quick, simple example:
Let's say you're in a stable hover. You nudge the cyclic forward and that tilts the heli forwards. It will now _accelerate_ and keep accelerating until either drag builds up to stop the acceleration (the heli is still moving) or you nudge the cyclic backwards to tilt the heli _less_ forward or further, to tilt the heli backwards, where it will slow down, come to a stop before starting moving backwards. If the heli stops and intends to move backwards, give it an ever so tiny nudge forwards again to that sweet spot where the heli isn't going anywhere (for a second or 2 anyway).

This is very different from the stable toy helis/fixed pitch coaxials where letting go of the cyclic will have the heli adjust its attitude to get back into a hover.
Unless the heli has some form of self leveling algorithm programmed into its flight controller/fbl unit, of course. Some flybarless controllers do have this feature, as well as a bail out function.

You can also adjust this a bit in most newer simulators as well by increasing the hover stability parameters, or auto levelling parameters as it is called in some simulators.

You will also find that there are things you can do in the sim that you cannot do on an actual machine. The real life RC heli is also going to handle a little differently in the sim than it will in the actual sky. Newer simulators actually do approximate "real" feel a little more, and you will find that different simulators will have different physics comparatively between them.

I was once told that flying a Collective pitch heli is akin to having a plate in each hand with a marble in the middle, and your goal is to keep those marbles centered in the plate while riding a unicycle.

Here is a youtube video of the RCHN Pilot Proficiency program.

RC Heli Nation Pilot Proficiency Program Level 1 (10 min 47 sec)

http://www.rchelination.com/rchn-pil...iency-program/

The International Radio Controlled Helicopter Association (IRCHA) Pilot Proficiency Program is what inspired it.

http://www.ircha.org/pilot-proficiency-program

There is also a really good thread right here on helifreak that can get you started as well.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=531380
Old 09-01-2015, 07:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Jokr, how's it goin', neighbour?
It's quite the learning curve, huh. Took me a long time to just be able to hover, never mind forward flight where I feel I'm flying the heli, instead of the heli flying me!
I got so frustrated in '14, I threw everything in a corner, but I'm back at it now.
Although the sim is a bit different than real, it will save you hundreds of $ while you learn the inputs and what they do.

I'm still a rank beginner compared to these 3D guys. I fly my sim way more than the real thing, but I can fly my little mCPX in the kitchen now without too much damage. I now have a couple of 180 CPX's waiting for me to grow a pair!! It'll be a while.

I think flying is like playing an instrument... you struggle with notes and chords, and all of a sudden it just happens. Your fingers know where to go without too much thought.

I dunno what you're striving for... personally, I have no interest in 3D, but smooth, controlled big air stunts would be nice. Think of the real life Red Bull heli. I like that, and I'm tooooo old for the quick moves of 3D.

Good luck, and don't give up... it'll come... C.
pco curt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight guys. I figured it was normal, but like I said, I'm used to toy grade lol.

I can hover just fine, but it seems like my quick small inputs are huge on the simulator. The simulator radio is definitely different from my brother in laws radio. The sticks are so much smoother on his radio, and the simulators are very "notchy". It will be nice to use the actual radio I plan on using on the heli.

I got a wicked deal on a trex 450 dominator 6s super combo. Came with a battery and was only $5 more then the 3s version. So it has the (non-chromed) GPRO FBL system...which is either good or bad. I'm looking for a dx6. I've seen lots of people running beastx so I might flog the GPRO off and get the ar7200/7300 beastx in it's place. Who knows, I have lots of practice before I take the heli out of the box though even.

So far the sim is telling me I need to practice, so that's exactly what I shall do.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJokr View Post
Thanks for the insight guys. I figured it was normal, but like I said, I'm used to hobby grade lol.

I can hover just fine, but it seems like my quick small inputs are huge on the simulator. The simulator radio is definitely different from my brother in laws radio. The sticks are so much smoother on his radio, and the simulators are very "notchy". It will be nice to use the actual radio I plan on using on the heli.

I got a wicked deal on a trex 450 dominator 6s super combo. Came with a battery and was only $5 more then the 3s version. So it has the (non-chromed) gpro FBL system...which is either good or bad. I'm looking for a dx6. I've seen lots of people running beastx so I might flog the 3gx off and get the ar7200/7300 beastx in it's place. Who knows, I have lots of practice before I take the heli out of the box though even.

So far the sim is telling me I need to practice, so that's exactly what I shall do.
Honestly, the 3GX would be the first thing I would replace on that model.

People have gotten it to fly ok, but it's a finicky beast. Microbeast, or any other FBL controller currently on the market would be a better choice in my opinion.

As you can see in my signature, I am a big fan of the Spartan VX1e. Easy to set up, easy to tune, and a good price.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

What controller are you using in the sim? Even a bit of deadband makes for unrealistic flying.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Interlink elite by futaba. Came with realflight g5.5

This guy right here

Last edited by DaJokr; 09-01-2015 at 04:08 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in