Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbar View Post
Yea, some dogs go crazy and most owners have no idea what's going on or what could happen.

I've had worse, a parent telling actually their kid while I was coming in for landing: "Yea, go catch it!"
Yeah, that's absurd on so many levels. Completely ignoring the "this thing will take your kid's head off", there's the issue that you're telling your kid to catch it when it's not even yours to be playing with!!

Wonder how that person would react to you barging in on their game of disc golf and just chucking their disc in the pond.

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2015, 06:00 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
"Hey mister, can I fly it?"
Sure you can fly my $1500 helicopter and immediately wreck it or cause property damage or both.

I always have to bite my tongue to avoid saying something like "why on earth would you possibly think I would do that? I usually settle for firm "no". And if they ask "why not" I say "because you would wreck it"

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 10-06-2015 at 01:25 AM..
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2015, 06:08 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Never had a dog or people issue since I fly in my yard.

But, the hummingbirds just love flying formation around the Nano's.

I have to turn the music down while driving so I can see better.
MariaFan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 05:35 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

I never fly my 600 other places then our club feald as is only a 5 minute drive away from home, but if my heli ever was chased by a dog when flying with the owner nowhere to be seen ore react fast enough i would land when the time is there without considering the dog.
Dog owners have way to litle respect for the society they live in.
More then once farmers in these aeria have shot and killed unleashed dogs running around their fealds.
Owners show up afterward and call the cops without getting any help from them as farmers have the right to protect their live stock.
Even the cops sometime kill dogs if they get to aggressive and close.

I might sound harsh but if a dog realy wont to take a bite of the inside of a meatgrinder its nothing more then extreme darwinism.
Exo 500
Mr.Andersen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #45 (permalink)
HF Support

It seems to me that any one of my helis is much faster than any dog can run. If he's chasing my heli it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to fly one way to lead him off then double back for a quick landing before he could reach it. Even if the blades were still spooling down at least it wouldn't be under power and likely wouldn't kill the dog if he somehow managed to run right into the blades.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Sure you can fly my $1500 helicopter and immediately wreck it or cause property damage or both.

I always have to bite my tongue to avoid saying something like "why on earth would you possibly think I would do that? I usually settle for firm "no". And if they ask "why not" I say "because you would wreck it"
I think many kids are quite used to asking stupid questions and getting told no. I'm quite happy to let youngsters watch my flying but I'm firm with them to make sure they know to stay behind or next to me and that it's dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
It seems to me that any one of my helis is much faster than any dog can run. If he's chasing my heli it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to fly one way to lead him off then double back for a quick landing before he could reach it. Even if the blades were still spooling down at least it wouldn't be under power and likely wouldn't kill the dog if he somehow managed to run right into the blades.
You haven't seen how fast my sister's dog is... sure, you could fly faster, but you'd have no time to float down or land and spool down before the dog was on it! Luckily she's mostly well enough trained to listen to whoever is handling her now (though she still terrifies the sheep).
cycled is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2015, 09:04 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is why I love my 180cfx or maybe blade 300cfx I can fly the 180 everywhere and the 300 almost everywhere, flying a 500 or bigger in a public park is really dangerous, and if you are doing 3d is worse, forget about dogs, the helis are like a magnet for kids and like someone said public in general are note aware of the danger to be close a 500mm CF blades spinning at 2000 or more RPM.
quebuenman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2015, 05:39 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by quebuenman View Post
This is why I love my 180cfx or maybe blade 300cfx I can fly the 180 everywhere and the 300 almost everywhere, flying a 500 or bigger in a public park is really dangerous, and if you are doing 3d is worse, forget about dogs, the helis are like a magnet for kids and like someone said public in general are note aware of the danger to be close a 500mm CF blades spinning at 2000 or more RPM.
I agree with not flying a 500+ in a public park because of the potentially very serious consequences.

But as a fellow 180 and 300 flyer I still have the very same issue when dogs are around. Even though the danger is somewhat scaled down, you still don't want the pooch to be wrecking your heli while having its nose and teeth hacked off in the process. So you still end up having to yell at the owner to get their dog under control while you wait to land safely. I suppose there is less money and life at stake, but it's enough to put me off flying pretty much anything in the local park. I've even had a dog chase my mCPX FFS!

DX8, BeastX, Heli-X, neXt
peteski is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by quebuenman View Post
While i don't think a 180cfx would kill someone, at least not from initial contact, I don't think it's exactly safe with people around. I've gotten some nasty cuts from micros like an MCPX or V977. Even a Nano CPX will scratch you up pretty good. I wouldn't even consider flying my 180 near strangers.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2015, 11:22 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakky View Post
I wouldn't even consider flying my 180 near strangers.
I've flown mine a few times with strangers around, but if they show any signs of going too near it I warn them that a Blade strike would really hurt and probably involve a trip to A&E. I find it makes enough noise to make most people keep their distance. It's just dogs I really worry about because they're stupid and their owners are often incapable of controlling them.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBird View Post
What would you have done? Whats the solution to this situation? Am I missing the obvious?
Never fly alone, for many reasons. Since you weren't alone, why didn't your dad get the owner's attention early on? Maybe I am missing something here, but I always have a plan for animals and children and it includes a second person.

I have landed on roofs before in situations similar to this.

Remember, always have a plan "B".
Old 10-08-2015, 01:07 AM   #52 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

If 200ft straight line auto is an option (if you have the skill, the clear flight path and the flat landing area), this may be a good compromise.

No sound and it comes in from a distance well beyond dog reach. By the time the heli is at ground level (and the dog has caught up to it), the blades will have lost most of their momentum (maybe injure, but almost certainly not kill). As the motor is not supplying power, damage would be very limited to both parties. (With a 450 size, can pretty much be assured of no damage to either).

Ideally fly with a friend (more fun this way anyway), or hopefully have the dogs called off before having to land.

As another said, try have a plan B.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:08 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaFan View Post
Never had a dog or people issue since I fly in my yard.

But, the hummingbirds just love flying formation around the Nano's.
Some falcons (the actual birds) get territorial at our field and initiate a dive when certain models are below them. They abort immediately when the model changes direction. Bird probably goes "oh no, I've been spotted. Abort!".

Those little E-Flite UMX EDF Jets (Mig 15, Habu, F16) are great, I sometimes get seagulls that form up on it. They'll follow barrel rolls but get very confused by loops, seagulls just stop and resume formation when the jet finishes the loop under them. They get excited in stall turns too. I guess the like the noise and ride the turbulence coming out the back like a wave.

Most birds at our field are not bothered by the models at all since the club started in the mid 50's. They'll actually wait till you're done taxying before diving down to catch a mouse, mole or rabbit on the runway.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:13 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbar View Post

Those little E-Flite UMX EDF Jets (Mig 15, Habu, F16) are great, I sometimes get seagulls that form up on it. They'll follow barrel rolls but get very confused by loops, seagulls just stop and resume formation when the jet finishes the loop under them. They get excited in stall turns too. I guess the like the noise and ride the turbulence coming out the back like a wave.
That is awesome! I've got a little UMX Habu, but no seagulls around here

Old 10-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not only is it a problem of the dog attacking the heli but what about the dog attacking you wile you are flying causing a crash into peope or property. Even a micro heli can put out an eye if the pilot loses control much less a 700 size decapitating someone. It's amazing we are able or should I say allowed to fly these things at all.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxp51 View Post
Not only is it a problem of the dog attacking the heli but what about the dog attacking you wile you are flying causing a crash into peope or property. Even a micro heli can put out an eye if the pilot loses control much less a 700 size decapitating someone. It's amazing we are able or should I say allowed to fly these things at all.
Can't say I've ever been attacked by a dog. But they nearly all seem to enjoy chasing a heli. They are obviously much more interesting than static humans holding a box with sticks!

Old 10-08-2015, 10:15 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

I forget who it was on here but I remember reading some punk threw a ball at his back while he was flying. So it's not just dogs we have to worry about.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:23 AM   #58 (permalink)
HF Support

My favorite was when a big kite broke free from the person flying it and it blew right across the flight line in front of my face. That was freaky, but shtuff just happens when you fly in public. You just have to accept that and deal with it.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2015, 10:27 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxp51 View Post
Years ago I flew my 450 in a public cemetery.(not over graves but in a huge field nearby) Other guys fly planes there as well.
I was flying one morning early,(6am) and I heard a guy pull up and let his dog run loose. His dog started running towards me and the guy was yelling to try to get him back. The dog didn't listen, and ran over to me and jumped on my back nearly knocking me over. I didn't crash, but yelled to the guy to control his dog. After jumping on me three or four times, the dog finally listened and went to his master. The guy apologized and drove off.
Several days later, I was flying when a cemetary worker pulled up and asked me what happened with the guy with the dog. I told him what happened and he said the guy filed a complaint against me! Mind you, there are signs plainly forbidding dogs on cemetary grounds at each entranceway! RC is allowed!
He told me not to worry about it and to continue to fly.
About a week later, the cemetary worker pulled up again and told me I had to stop flying there! He said the guy with the dog went to the mayor and filed a complaint against me! He said it was over his head and was sorry.
Didn't matter his dog wasn't suppossed to be there in the first place.
seefest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteski View Post
Can't say I've ever been attacked by a dog. But they nearly all seem to enjoy chasing a heli. They are obviously much more interesting than static humans holding a box with sticks!
I actually had a pit bull run up behind me barking at me, scared the crap out of me wile I was flying the goblin. And this was at a designated flying field, that's why it's a good idea to have a spotter watching out wile you fly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in