Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default RC Planes Harder to Fly Than RC Heli's?

Hey HeliFreak's,

My brother is trying to say that RC planes are harder to fly than RC heli's. I know that he is wrong so could someone please chime in here and back me on this? Please give your opinion on which is harder and why? Thank you.
Rookiepilot83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Give him a sim and tell him go for it. Unless he knows how to fly heli's then he's full of it.
JR X9303
gill4321 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

lol
Scorpion Power Systems/Batteries
Spartan RC
John Cook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The owner of a small local shop told me once... "The difference between planes and helicopters is, that planes WANT to fly and helicopters WANT to crash..."

If he thinks helis are easier, let him buy one and see how many times he crashes...

Planes are what heli pilots use to relax, thats how much easier planes are...
Old 07-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

no way. i fly both
planes fly forward, left and right
heli's-left, right, forward, sideways, right, backwards, wrongway's (sometimes) upside down backwards, forward LOL.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

You can actually fly a plane quite well without using rudder by just doing aileron-elevator turns. With a heli, you have to use rudder for most maneuvers unless you're flying in rate mode, in which case it can be a challenge to get the tail to stay put when you want it to.

You generally don't have to worry about a plane instantaneously changing altitude like you do with a heli.

IMO, the only things that are easier with a helicopter are takeoffs and landings...and hovering and backward flight, of course.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been flying planks for 15 years or so.An airplane wants to fly, you just have to point it where you want it to go .I could fly a plank with a beer in one hand the controller in the other and a cig in my mouth ...On the other hand the heli does not want to fly,in fact the heli spends every moment trying not to stay in the air they have instability built in to the design.A heli will travel in all dimensions but you as a pilot have to give every command ,to keep it in the air..Or just ask your friend if he knows the glide rate for a helicopter...I am very much in the learning stages of heli ,but having tried about every rc toy known to man the heli is by far the most chalenging..just my .02cents
Old 07-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiepilot83 View Post
Hey HeliFreak's,

My brother is trying to say that RC planes are harder to fly than RC heli's. I know that he is wrong so could someone please chime in here and back me on this? Please give your opinion on which is harder and why? Thank you.

If your brother can stand on the beach, he can fly a plane. If he can stand on a beachball in the ocean with 6ft swells, he can fly a heli.
.........It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again.........
fixnfly70 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gill4321 View Post
Give him a sim and tell him go for it. Unless he knows how to fly heli's then he's full of it.
this is the answer right here
Old 07-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
no way. i fly both
planes fly forward, left and right
heli's-left, right, forward, sideways, right, backwards, wrongway's (sometimes) upside down backwards, forward LOL.
but the Wonkavator can go sideways, and slantways, and longways, and backways...

...and squareways, and front ways, and backways and any other ways that you can think of.

hahahaha
Old 07-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

bb'55... that's my year
Old 07-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansone View Post
bb'55... that's my year
Year of your birth?

Thats the year of the 1955 Ford F100 sitting in my garage in pieces, that project keeps getting put on the Back Burner... Get it? Thats the origin of the name...

Year of my birth, 1973
Old 07-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

oh god I feel old
Old 07-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

HELL NO. You can learn to fly a plane in one day..... it could take you years to really learn how to fly a heli.
JackdaWack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your brother want to prove his theory he can come out to the house and fly my planes and heli's !

Be forewarned his has to pay for all repairs and damage.

Is he game for this ?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
IMO, the only things that are easier with a helicopter are takeoffs and landings...and hovering and backward flight, of course.
I definately agree with what you said Bum, the fact that planes want to fly is what makes them hard to land. Everytime I've ever takenoff or landed it's been a clincher.

Other than that there is no real comparison between helis or planes, just my 2 cents.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i fly both.

to be good at either requires a lot of time and skill. one is not easier than the other. performing a torque roll on a plane is just about the same skill set as hovering a mode-1 helicopter. there are just as many, if not more complex maneuvers for a plane that require tons of practice to get right. i'll still stop and watch a plane perform a smooth rolling circuit down on the deck.

however, learning the basics of flight a heli is WAY harder. i learned to fly a plane without the aid of a sim or a buddy box in the early 80s simply by taking the sticks while it was in the air. sure, you can get out of shape easily...there is an orientation issue to get over. but, basically any rube walking off the street can grab the controls and fly a circuit within 20 minutes.

with over 15 years of plane experience it still took me +80 hours of sim time to get all the orientations of a hover down.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I believe one of the members here has a sig that explains it best:

"Planes are like feel-good buddy movies and helis are like horror films... you just have to like being scared!"
DirtyDan92 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 01:00 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Helicopters are much more difficult than planes initially. Now, when it comes to complex aerobatics with planes, I am finding that pretty challenging. The helicopter has helped me greatly, but now that I am trying things with the planes like hovering, knife edges, snaprolls and stuff like that, it has it's own challenges. I will say that my 3D plank is hyper enough that it is definitely challenging. A trainer plank, easy as pie. Once you get into something more performance oriented, the gap narrows. That is my experience anyway.
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
JasonJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 02:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiepilot83 View Post
Hey HeliFreak's,

i own 3x's as many planks as helis, i can tell you planes are easier to FLY, now taking off and landing is a totally diff story, helis are much easier in that department but for the most part if you can get a plank in the air the wing does alot of the work and your not juggling the sticks like you would be hovering a heli....however it takes alot of finess and a keen eye to bring a plane back in one peice, making it look pretty is optional..lol..i however pride myself on my plank landing abilities and have been dubbed "the wheel landing master" by some of my clubmates
Blade~400~er is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in