Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question Blade® Scout CX wants to "walk" sideways

I just got this little coax-heli for some indoor fun, I have a quick question about trim. When its in hover it wants to drift to its left, not pivot, no forward motion or pivot.. just slow sideway. What can be adjusted to help this?

Thanks!
TREX 600 Gasser (690 Mains, 700TT boom) - T-Rex 450 SE V2 - OpenPilot Revo - CC3D - Atom - Blade CPP (06' model and still going!) - Blade mCP x (Wha hooo) - JR9503, SPEKTRUM DX8, Sullivan Dynatron/Finer Edge
AMA#621236 & IRCHA#4196
Rick~K is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I know the Scout is a 3-channel. So it has throttle, rudder and elevator correct? If so then maybe you could add some weight to the right skid.

You should of just got the mCX then you wouldn't have this problem.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntanaS View Post
I know the Scout is a 3-channel
Yes it is 3 ch. amd yes a 4 ch would have been nicer. :-)
TREX 600 Gasser (690 Mains, 700TT boom) - T-Rex 450 SE V2 - OpenPilot Revo - CC3D - Atom - Blade CPP (06' model and still going!) - Blade mCP x (Wha hooo) - JR9503, SPEKTRUM DX8, Sullivan Dynatron/Finer Edge
AMA#621236 & IRCHA#4196
Old 10-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you are planning on progressing in this hobby you are going to have to relearn the controls when you move up to a full 4-channel heli.

I would try the weights and see if that works. I'm not sure what else you could do?
Old 10-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick~K View Post
I just got this little coax-heli for some indoor fun, I have a quick question about trim. When its in hover it wants to drift to its left, not pivot, no forward motion or pivot.. just slow sideway. What can be adjusted to help this?

Thanks!
The weight solution sounds like a very good quick fix. Maybe plasticine or something like that.

You have me interested however. Just looking at the pictures and exploded diagram on the blade site. Seems this thing has a swashplate and 2 ball links on it.

I don't know if your radio will allow cyclic roll trimming. If it does, your problem can be solved then electronically at the radio end, but I suspect this will only be possible if there are 2 servos one for each arm.

Generically, this kind of 3 channel coax job you can generally get away without a swashplate and use a smaller rotor on the tail to tip you forward or back, like a SYMA 107G, but blade put a swash in it. Probably gets you better forward flight this way. Yaw of course is controlled by the coax rotors.

I'm guessing they only need one servo - it's hard to tell from the pictures. Just one servo to tip the swash from level to backwards and forwards. Or it may have two, I can't tell.

Whatever the case it looks like you have two links to the swash from the servo(s) - I am guessing there's probably only one servo. One link on the left, one on the right, so maybe these links are both connected to the same servo. My guess is they form a V and hook onto a single servo.I can't think of any reason why they'd put 2 servos on the logic board. But it is possible there are 2 servos. I'll add again, I'm just guessing as I can't get a good look at the back of the logic board from what's available.

Your swashplate may not be level from left to right. If you are drifiting to the left while hovering, maybe your swash is tilted that direction, in relation to the axis of the main shaft.

This may require just a simple fix, like reseating your swash if it's just to dislocating in the center, mSR plastic swashes sometimes do that, just press down on your swash from the bottom or and top gently - you may need fine needlenose pliers to get in there.

Otherwise, it may involve mechanical trimming. Specifically adjusting the linkages from the servo to the swash. Measure the lengths of both right and left servo linkages, with calipers, and add maybe length to the left one, one full turn at a time - I am assuming like all other blade servo linkages there's only one way the 'eye' or 'hole' sits on the ball so you will need to do full 360 turns in one or the other direction.

You do this so that you push up the swashplate to compensate if it's dipped to the left.

Let me know what works, I'm curious too! I'm guessing 1 servo with a V connected to the swash.

If (and when) you get tired of all this, go get yourself a proper 4 channel coax! Force RC's are great fun, you'll have a blast with your mates.

Edit: FuntanaS is right, 3 channel jobs are really not the way to go. But I just noticed your join date at 2006, so excuse me if I'm telling you stuff you already know

Last edited by spykez; 10-22-2011 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: See above
spykez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

spykez your post got me thinking about the 2 ball links, one is connected to the servo and the other is anchored to the frame. I adjusted the anchor side ball link and I turned it too far and it walked the other direction, so after fine tuning it-it hover dead on. And your other edited part about joining in 2006, I have been off and on for 35yrs in heli's since back it the time of the "cricket" and one before that I can't remember...lol but the CX I never played with so I never gave it much thought. Thank you for your reply and direction. I never relized how much fun a little bird could be in the living room on a bad day.
Thanks! Rick
AMA#621236 & IRCHA#4196

Last edited by Rick~K; 10-24-2011 at 02:51 PM..
Old 10-23-2011, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

No worries, you're welcome. People here generally are so forthcoming and helpful, I'm only trying to do my bit

Glad to know that prompted a solution to your hover problem.

I just hope it didn't introduce a different problem

I am now wondering why they did it that way - Interesting design, one servo-less link from the swash and one link to the servo. I wonder if any HH design people are watching this thread. I wonder if one of the contra-rotating rotors is bigger than the other. I wonder if there are issues with FFF, not that I expect the Scout can go very fast, it being an FP micro coax....

Just curious, at full tilt forward, do you have any side drift issues now? Do you veer more to one side or another?

Since we're on the subject of fun indoor stuff.... if you want more suggestions, I can't recommend these Force RC helis enough. These are proper 4 channel coax jobs of the appropriate control 'mode' and you and your kids (or grandkids? Don't want to assume things!) could enjoy if they are old enough. If it's just yourself, consider an mSR as well.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by spykez View Post
Just curious, at full tilt forward, do you have any side drift issues now? Do you veer more to one side or another?
None that I see, it has the normal movement of coax heli's I've seen that remind me of them trying to tow something along behind them at full forward stick. Thanks for the tip on the Force RC's I'll have a look at them.

Thanks! Rick
AMA#621236 & IRCHA#4196
Old 12-09-2011, 04:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is kind of slow in low-rate, but at high rate and links on longer balls, this little heli will haul!

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Greetings all. Bought one of these a week ago. My 1st bird. Lot's of fun. To get more flight time I bought 3 additional batteries for it, then went back and got 4 more today for a total of 8. At $5.00 apiece figured I couldn't go wrong.

I'm experiencing the same problem (Left drift) as several others mentioned. I tried turning the left servo rod up 2 turns but when I tested it I didn't have any "Forward," bird just went backwards, even on full forward. Tried rebinding it and adjusting the trim but that didn't help. So, turned rod back to original setting. Any ideas?

Spykez- Greetings Mate. I'm not entirely sure the swashplate is seated correctly (Looks crook) as I, ah, flew it into a few objects under power and didn't cut the throttle before the crash (Have since learned I need to chop the power). The things "They" don't tell you at start and you have to learn on your own, they hard way I also didn't know the connectors were supposed to snap on the balls (Not behind) so thought mine had become dislodged and pushed them all back of the balls. Need to fix that. Another is I didn't know it was essential to have the controller on first before inserting battery (I'd sometimes put battery in then remember to turn on controller). Could/would you either explain, PM, or e-mail me directions on how to remove/reseat the swashplate? I'd certainly appreciate it.

Just wondering- Is it possible to turn this into a 4-channel bird? I know you'd have to use another controller, and never mind that it might not be practical, just wondering if it's possible, without too much trouble and effort. If so, what parts would be needed, and how would you go about it? Thanx.

Regards,

Mark
El Paso Mark is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 01:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paso Mark View Post
Greetings all. Bought one of these a week ago. My 1st bird. Lot's of fun. To get more flight time I bought 3 additional batteries for it, then went back and got 4 more today for a total of 8. At $5.00 apiece figured I couldn't go wrong.

I'm experiencing the same problem (Left drift) as several others mentioned. I tried turning the left servo rod up 2 turns but when I tested it I didn't have any "Forward," bird just went backwards, even on full forward. Tried rebinding it and adjusting the trim but that didn't help. So, turned rod back to original setting. Any ideas?

Spykez- Greetings Mate. I'm not entirely sure the swashplate is seated correctly (Looks crook) as I, ah, flew it into a few objects under power and didn't cut the throttle before the crash (Have since learned I need to chop the power). The things "They" don't tell you at start and you have to learn on your own, they hard way I also didn't know the connectors were supposed to snap on the balls (Not behind) so thought mine had become dislodged and pushed them all back of the balls. Need to fix that. Another is I didn't know it was essential to have the controller on first before inserting battery (I'd sometimes put battery in then remember to turn on controller). Could/would you either explain, PM, or e-mail me directions on how to remove/reseat the swashplate? I'd certainly appreciate it.

Just wondering- Is it possible to turn this into a 4-channel bird? I know you'd have to use another controller, and never mind that it might not be practical, just wondering if it's possible, without too much trouble and effort. If so, what parts would be needed, and how would you go about it? Thanx.

Regards,

Mark
Sorry, Mark, if you read what I posted here, most of what I know of this heli, it's all theoretical

After this post, by the way, I bought one for a friend just to see if I could 'convert' him (I'm still waiting for the seed to germinate) and had but 2-3 secs to see that the heli flew ok, it did and left it at that, then took him out to show him the 450.

If the swash is anything like the mSR - basically you can just press the top part to the rim down equally with your fingers or a fine needle nose pliers (firmly but gently).

What I'm a bit concerned about is if you've actually damaged your ball links from what you're describing. If there's a lot of lateral play or slop on the ball links they might be too loose. The ball links ideallys should only allow kind of a ball and socket type articulation (ie rotation around the ball) but no lateral play of the eye on the ball.

However, with these sorts of birds, practically, look, a bit of slop is probably acceptable, you don't have to get it spot on. if it's not altering your flight characteristics that much (you'll know if it is if you're having to constantly correct this heli - it's a coax, it should fly on rails). If you've completely rogered the eye/hole however.. that's a different matter.

I think some pictures or video would help.

Also this heli only has one servo (from this thread). So no way can you do a 4 channel conversion.

Now, if you truly killed your swash and ball links, you're looking at costly spare replacements.... Consider the following alternative...

I hear the force RC's might be end-of-lined and are going dirt cheap though for a cheap fun 4 channel alternative. Might be the way to go fora 4 channel plus you get to dogfight. Highly recommend these. Even if they are being EOL'ed but you may have different feelings about this. They are quite tough so repairs are very minimal (but I'm talking in relation to bigger helis). Spares - most of the core bits share commonality with the mCX2 so you'll be able to keep on flying. I would buy this over an mCX2 any day. Even with the EOL but that's just me - I found them great!

Old 12-23-2011, 01:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Regards,

Mark
It wouldn't be cost effective. You would need a new pcb, one with two servos...wait, just get an rtf mcx........

Old 12-23-2011, 01:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick~K View Post

Thanks!
Take off the canopy and pop off the servo rod from the swashplate that is hooked to the frame. Carefully hold the rod with needlenose pliers and adjust the black part up two full turns.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanx guys, I appreciate it. I'm flying it okay, but still fiddling with it (Trying to straighten it out). I think the ball/conn rods are okay. Any way to adjust the gyro? Eyeballing an MCX2 and/or Heli-Max Axe CX Nano now as my next step up

Cheers,

Mark
Old 12-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanx guys, I appreciate it. I'm flying it okay, but still fiddling with it (Trying to straighten it out). I think the ball/conn rods are okay. Any way to adjust the gyro? Eyeballing an MCX2 and/or Heli-Max Axe CX Nano now as my next step up

Cheers,

Mark
Quite honestly I think a proper 4 channel heli with a proper standardized stick layout (ie mode 1/2) would take you further. Never tried an mcx2 but they are supposed to be essentially Force RC's so I'd say both would be a great step up.

I think you'd be making the right choice going up from that, I personally would not get a cx apart from it being an intro gift.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I personally would not get a cx apart from it being an intro gift.
You mean the Heli-Max, correct? Might I ask why? It seemed to get two pretty good reviews. Not glowing mind you, but not bad. And it is a 4-channel. Thanx.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 12-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You mean the Heli-Max, correct? Might I ask why? It seemed to get two pretty good reviews. Not glowing mind you, but not bad. And it is a 4-channel. Thanx.

Cheers,

Mark
Sorry, my bad.. ambiguity. I meant the Scout CX. I've never seen the Heli-Max.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Sorry, my bad.. ambiguity. I meant the Scout CX. I've never seen the Heli-Max.
No worries mate, thanx.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 06-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

mine also drifted at first. i adjusted the rods. fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120602_144120.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	321461   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120602_144058.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	321462   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120602_181958.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	321463   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120602_182028.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	321464  
flymicro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in