Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > SAB Goblin 500/570

SAB Goblin 500/570 SAB Heli Division - Goblin 500/570 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Goblin 500 Build(first ever electric)

Well i picked up a Goblin 500 with Torq 5180/9188 servos and a Scorpion 1350kv motor. This is my first electric bird ever so I'm having a little trouble finishing up the component selection. I'm waiting on it to arrive and just want to get things ordered so i can still fly it a few times this year.

I was thinking
  • 2s lipo recever pack straight in since the servos are HV
  • castle edge 100 esc
  • either an ikon or sk720 FLB

Am i going to have an issue running the 2s lipo into any of these?

Also will the castle be enough for mild 3d and sport flying?

I have looked through the goblin 500 setup thread and it seems like this would be ok but I'm paranoid and don't want to mess up that beautiful bird.
cycleguy0623 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2014, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

That motor is capable of pulling 105 amps peak. I would be careful when pairing electronics on this heli. Some go way overboard to be safe due to the low air flow the esc gets from the way the canopy mounts. A castle 130 would be more safe if it fits or go with the YGE 120.

Depending on your flying style the castle 100 on paper should work but I like head room.

Why not run a bec pro to simplify your rx power? People do run rx packs on these but that's more lipos and or charging you will need to do.

I'm most likely biased but everything I fly gets an iKON and there is a reason. I mount them, tell it what size heli it's going on and fly the crap out of it! Only very seldom do I have to play with gains. My goblin is rocking stock 500 settings other than rotational speeds and she's perfect in the air! Vbar is another really nice option and they fly great.
vtown nick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtown nick View Post
That motor is capable of pulling 105 amps peak. I would be careful when pairing electronics on this heli. Some go way overboard to be safe due to the low air flow the esc gets from the way the canopy mounts. A castle 130 would be more safe if it fits or go with the YGE 120.

Depending on your flying style the castle 100 on paper should work but I like head room.

Why not run a bec pro to simplify your rx power? People do run rx packs on these but that's more lipos and or charging you will need to do.

I'm most likely biased but everything I fly gets an iKON and there is a reason. I mount them, tell it what size heli it's going on and fly the crap out of it! Only very seldom do I have to play with gains. My goblin is rocking stock 500 settings other than rotational speeds and she's perfect in the air! Vbar is another really nice option and they fly great.
Thank for the heads up on the air flow. I think I would rather get something that has plenty of headroom. It may end up on a 570 some day any way so more would be better.

I have thoughts of the bec as well but it's one more thing i dont know about lol

The iKON dose seem like a solid option but so dose the SK720. I like the self leveling option as a O S**T switch. I guess the ikon has it to but i have heard better things about the SK720 on that score.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy0623 View Post
Thank for the heads up on the air flow. I think I would rather get something that has plenty of headroom. It may end up on a 570 some day any way so more would be better.

I have thoughts of the bec as well but it's one more thing i dont know about lol

The iKON dose seem like a solid option but so dose the SK720. I like the self leveling option as a O S**T switch. I guess the ikon has it to but i have heard better things about the SK720 on that score.
I put my first flight with the canopy today (flight #5 that is) and it was a little warm under there. Motor was warm but not hot, battery was quite warm, esc was just warm and bec pro was cool. If you didn't have some head room I would assume the esc would head soak in that environment.

Bec is easier than a flight pack and cheap insurance to again give yourself some overhead for current draw but this time from servos. Many do run internal bec on Kontronic or YGE esc but having a external bec will let you auto if you blow your esc.

If you want a good self level then go with the Skookum then, people have good things to say about it. The iKON has been known to self destruct a heli if its not vibe free entering self level, I don't use it on any of mine so I can't comment.
vtown nick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2014, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok so i grabbed a CC Edge 100 for my build but cant figure out how the heck people are getting them on the heli. there jus dose not seem to be room for it in the front....
Old 10-29-2014, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy0623 View Post
ok so i grabbed a CC Edge 100 for my build but cant figure out how the heck people are getting them on the heli. there jus dose not seem to be room for it in the front....
Check in the G500 pictures string.. people have put them in the same place, so it should fit (maybe tightly....)
Jascop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

For installing the EDGE 100, unscrew the frame screws and pull the two plastic battery support half's apart, the esc will fit in there like a lego, I have mine in with the heatsink pointed down. No modding needed. I did not even use a zip tie to secure it, it fits so perfectly.
akamullen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fit it in last night! Just like a glove. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in