Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JLog - The JIVE logging stamp

JLog - The JIVE logging stamp JLog - The JIVE logging stamp - Official English Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Current+Voltage Sensors for JLog ?

All of the JLog documentaion that I have found assumes you will use it to monitor a Jive or a Kosmik ESC.

However, If I do not have those - I assume that I will need to implement various Current and Voltage sensors.

Are there any that work with the JLog 2.5 ?

Example: I am planning to use a YGE160 (because I have understand that the Kosmik does not support the use of an external governor). For a 700 size heli, I expect I would need a 200+ Amp current/voltage sensor. Are there any that can be used with the JLog ?

One device I found in my research was a certain 'UniLog' current sensor. But can the JLog interface with it? I dismiss using the UniLog logger, since it does not support my Spektrum radio.

I am not ready to go out and replace my radio gear. That seems too expensive.

So, can I get the job done with a JLog ?
SoftShell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well... The original intention behind JLog is to use an ESC as multi-sensor, + JLog-own sensors, several. Read here.

Four ESC brands/types currently supported, more will follow.

OK, in the past I brought a version using a current sensor HiTEC C200, but for HoTT and Futaba S.BUS only, - for JLog2, look here.

Now I easily could do that with JLog2.5 also and for all telemetry systems, including SPEKTRUM. Only, it makes not so much sense because the current sensor occupies all option pins of JLog2/JLog2.5 already, not even a pin remaining to measure the main voltage.

OK.. Voltage measurement of up to 16 voltages (any between 0 and 16S) will be supported by a satellite device for Jog2 and JLog2.5, CVS16, currently in development. We also will bring a current sensor as a digital satellite, using a Hall core, similar to the C200.

So for the moment I should be clever enough to answer: Please wait a moment.

Here the toy a had implemented once, my comment was: "Any port in a storm."

Old 09-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, just discussed and decided:

A multi-sensor for applications without a currently supported (supportable) ESC will come:

Hall core (toroid) for measurement of electrical current (enough current ), two voltages measurable (beyond 16S each), rpm (phase sensor), all-in-one, - as a slave device for JLog.

"Side effect data" delivered by that sensor (via JLog): mAh, perhaps also motor pwm.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wow! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Considering all the other projects that are being worked on, I know this kind of thing can take months. But I eagerly await developments.
SoftShell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Months? Not with us.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

excellent news!
Logo 480 XXtreme, Logo 550SX, Logo 690SX, Logo 800 XXtreme, TDR, Minicopter Diabolo 550, Minicopter Triabolo, Goblin 500, Goblin 700, Goblin 770, KDS Agile 5.5, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, HD Cell 500, Thunder Tiger E700
taosgraveyard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, it's been months... Is this now available...
Logo 480 XXtreme, Logo 550SX, Logo 690SX, Logo 800 XXtreme, TDR, Minicopter Diabolo 550, Minicopter Triabolo, Goblin 500, Goblin 700, Goblin 770, KDS Agile 5.5, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, HD Cell 500, Thunder Tiger E700
Old 03-29-2014, 10:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

No, sorry. We have too many development projects in parallel, manufacturing, documentation and support on top.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks!

I see you can hook a Hall effect sensor to a JLOG... What, if anything would that get me?

Using jeti telemetry

Can't use jeti MUI Ex, this is a 16s Heli, 67 volts, MUI EX is only rated to 60 volts

I am after MAH used, mostly,
Old 03-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

It was just a "toy" from me. An older firmware for JLog2 (only) supports the use of a Hall core C200 from HiTec.
There is no chance to measure an external voltage in parallel (no free pins, no built-in voltage divider), and the use of a CVS16 (it's release is anyway already behind our plan) for that wouldn't be an user-accepted way, too cost expensive, too voluminous.

Look.. You not only expect from us (R2) to be professionals in high-tech design and manufacturing, what we are. You also expect kinda business-grade behavior from us.

Each new function which I bring into JLog's firmwares have to be also brought into JLC, documented and supported. Many users are anyway already "confused" by the functional complexity of JLog. They kill me another time for each functional item added which is not of their interest (of the mass), which is not plug&play. Most users do not accept something if they earn a solder job to be able to use it. A C200 needs a new plug, JR, to be soldered to it. They also would not like it that they had to procure a C200 itself.

From the commercial point of view we every time have to keep an eye on the "multiplier effect". In the end our value for you is formed from the sum of the products we can provide. Time is therefore an important factor, efficiently used time with the right "multiplier factor".

If you'd know how many different projects we have at the same time..., and the commercial prospects overrun us in the shack. (Not every development is for the R/C world, not every R/C product from us carries our label.)
To be honest: JLog is NOT a project of the beloved type in this context. Too much work for too less turnaround and especially much too much support effort. We are engineers, here our value can be found, no professional supporters and "chaplain". (No worries, JLog lives, will never die.)

There will be sometime (next months) a "MS-1" or never an external current sensor will be offered for JLog. The DIY solution with a HiTec C200 is not the right way.

I know what I promised so full-bodied some time ago. Only, the boundary conditions have changed in between, priorities been shifted..
Old 05-31-2015, 08:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Tom, any news about this?
I am considering DS-16 and looking for telemetry options.
I have 16S/YGE setup and want to use RSAT2.
I want RPM, main voltage, current (capacity).
I will ask Jeti if their MUI probe can be used on 16S, but it seems i have basically this options:
1. Jeti MUI, Jeti RPM brushless sensor, 2port expander
2. Unisens-E, that is all in one
3. JLog with connection to HV2BEC (main+BEC voltage, BEC current etc), HiTec C200; no RPM sensor
4. replacing YGE with another 16S/VBAR compatible telemetry ESC - nothing on the market

It would be nice to be able to monitor also ESC signal channel, to calculate PWM from that (Vbar gov).

What would solve the problem would be JLog sensor with current and rpm (voltage optional). Main pack voltage can be taken from HV2BEC i guess.

Thanks.
- TDR #2, Scorpion 4525LE, PowerJive, MKS HBL950/980, Vbar
- TDR #1 (stock, sold at 700+ flights), e-Revo, Protos 500, Jeti DS14
jointer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2015, 03:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Main pack voltage comes from CVS16 as well as HV˛BEC - if ESC is not offering it, yes.

JLog supports rpm sensors.

We soon will have an own sensor for JLog for those who do not use an ESC supported by JLog: current, mAh, voltage, rpm.

The next YGE will be supported by JLog.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, so i will be watching here if the combined sensor is ready for sale or new ESC is supported.
I can replace YGE 160HV with something else, but it must be 16S capable and not much higher weight and size (like Kosmik is). Also do not want to go back to 12/14S.
(or you can mail me if you will remember)
- TDR #2, Scorpion 4525LE, PowerJive, MKS HBL950/980, Vbar
- TDR #1 (stock, sold at 700+ flights), e-Revo, Protos 500, Jeti DS14
jointer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl7uae View Post
Main pack voltage comes from CVS16 as well as HV˛BEC - if ESC is not offering it, yes.

JLog supports rpm sensors.

We soon will have an own sensor for JLog for those who do not use an ESC supported by JLog: current, mAh, voltage, rpm.

The next YGE will be supported by JLog.
Hi Tom, Any update on when your current sensor will be available?
Ace Dude is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2015, 11:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not yet, sorry.

Will raise it at R2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in