Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > DJI Multirotor Support > Flamewheel Multirotor Support

Flamewheel Multirotor Support Flamewheel Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thoughts on stock 3S setup on DJI 550 Flamewheel

Does anyone with experience have an opinion on the stock setup on the DJI 550 Flamewheel using a 3S setup and the 10" props? I am finding my setup EXTREMELY underpowered. I have very little thrust even at full stick, and I have had a few tough landings when I allowed my hex to descend at any appreciable rate.

Here's what I have:

Stock DJI 550 with the 10" props. The only extra payload I have is a set of plastic and CF landing skids and a Tarot 2-D gimbal loaded with a GoPro Hero3. I am running a 3S 2200 mah battery to power both my gimbal and Fatshark Predator FPV setup.

For flight packs, I am using two additional 3S 2200 mah packs, and I get a measly 4 minutes of flight, ending with about 3.8v per cell.

(Obviously, three 3S 2200 mah packs for the whole setup is a large percentage of the payload, and I can easily step down to a much smaller pack to power my cameras...)

I am highly leaning toward a 4S setup with 9X5 props, but I want to make sure that I am not overlooking some basic setup issue or other problem that is contributing to my lack of power and short flight times.

I am really looking forward to the 10-12 minute flight times that others enjoy with the 550.

Thanks in advance, and HAPPY FLYING!
escsniper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF MR Support

I think you'd be FAR happier with 4S for that bird, either with your 10" props or the 9 inchers. Not only will you get more pep, but the batteries actually store more Watt/hours which means better flight times, unless you can't resist stepping on the gas constantly!

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Big Island Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds like you got one of the older kits with the red motors. If that's the case then the props are 10x3.8. Low pitch to give a smoother flight but not much good for a payload. If you can get your hands on the DJI 10x4.7 props, try them. But both of those are plastic and have a tendency to flex under load. Carbon fiber is what most will recommend. Little to no flexing.
I think it might be better for you to power the motors off a 4s 4000 or 5000mah 35c or 40c battery. Then power your camera/gimbal, VTX gear off a separate 3s 2200 or 2650 35c battery. Zippy makes some lite weight 2650 batteries. Low cost too. A 4s 4000 or 5000 is going to cost a bit more.
Word of caution about larger capacity batteries. Since the wire on the battery is a larger size, and if you're using a XT60 connector, get batteries with no main plug on them and solder it on yourself. Just be careful you don't short the leads even for a second cause you won't like what happens next...

Oh snap Big Island Guy. Beat me to the punch. I have got to type faster.
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I already have an EC3 soldered onto my board for power with a larger gauge wire, so I should be good. Going to try out a loaner 4S pack once my new props get here before I sink the cash into new packs. I am also thinking about going with a 850-1000 mah 3S pack to power my video stuff. I can always swap them out more frequently, and I can save a little weight. They are cheap enough...
Old 04-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's a little video from one of my first FPV flights. I descended a little too rapidly, and the lack of power bit me at the end. Fortunately, no damage, but I think I might land WITHOUT the goggles for a while!!!

Finally!!! Successful FPV Flights!!! (3 min 38 sec)
Old 04-01-2014, 11:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

And, yes, red motors with 10x3.8 props. (Maybe that explains why I got such a smoking hot deal on it over Black Friday last year!!!)

Tags
battery, dji 550, hex, multirotor, underpowered

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in