Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2015, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default mcpx v1 with dual esc---soldering too difficult

I have the dual esc and the v1 board (got them as parts of another purchase). I checked the map online, and found this one:
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/007...nal.jpg?102054

But the soldering looks really difficult to me. It is so tiny.
On the other hand, I see the two signal wires are attached to two-pin plugs. I wonder if they could be just plugged into the main and tail motor power sockets and make it work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OVERSKY-DUAL...item419318a23c

I tried that and it didn't work for me. (Mine doesn't have the plug, just the wire. I stuck the wire into the main and tail motor power sockets and push the throttle. Nothing happens.)

Can anyone please help?
muscleman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleman View Post
I have the dual esc and the v1 board (got them as parts of another purchase). I checked the map online, and found this one:

But the soldering looks really difficult to me. It is so tiny.
On the other hand, I see the two signal wires are attached to two-pin plugs. I wonder if they could be just plugged into the main and tail motor power sockets and make it work?
Oversky Dual Brushless ESC MCPX MCP x V2 FBL100 10A 3A PNP Programmable Blheli | eBay

I tried that and it didn't work for me. (Mine doesn't have the plug, just the wire. I stuck the wire into the main and tail motor power sockets and push the throttle. Nothing happens.)

Can anyone please help?
Did you try using the other side of the main and rear motor plugs on your 3-n-1? You can only get the ESC signal from the positive side. Do you get a series of ascending beeps when you plug the battery in?
Old 03-30-2015, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCcraig View Post
Did you try using the other side of the main and rear motor plugs on your 3-n-1? You can only get the ESC signal from the positive side. Do you get a series of ascending beeps when you plug the battery in?
Thank you! I will give that a try. I think that is much bigger and easier to solder.

I didn't solder the main battery wires from the ESC to the V1 board, so I plugged in two separate batteries to the ESC and to the V1 board. Then I used my right hand to hold the signal wire onto the V1 board's supposed signal spot as shown here:

Then I used my left hand to push the throttle on the TX. Nothing happens.

Do you think soldering on the above spot is equivalent as soldering on the power socket? Do you think my approach to plug in two separate batteries have anything to do with my problem here?
I did hear a series of ascending beeps from the dual ESC. It was previously working fine with the Turnigy FBL100 board before the board started to have issues. Do you think the BLH code is the same for Turnigy FBL100 board and the MCPX V1 board?
Old 03-31-2015, 12:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Using two batteries is probably part of the problem. No common ground.I would also use the resistor signal taps instead of the motor output plugs. Lastly assuming the governor is turned on and set to GOV TX, you would have to arm the ESC to get the motors to spool up.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Using two batteries is probably part of the problem. No common ground.I would also use the resistor signal taps instead of the motor output plugs. Lastly assuming the governor is turned on and set to GOV TX, you would have to arm the ESC to get the motors to spool up.
Got it. So it sounds like soldering is unavoidable in this case.
Could you please tell me a bit more about these terms like "governor", "GOV TX", and "arm the ESC"?

Note that before the original turnigy FBL100 motherboard is cut off from the dual ESC, I just need to plug in the battery and the mother board would bind to the Turnigy TX and the motor will spin when I push the throttle. This probably means the ESC is already properly flashed, right?

I checked the resistor signal taps and there seems to be some clear glue or something covering part of it. Do I need some tool to remove that before soldering?
Old 03-31-2015, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Got it. So it sounds like soldering is unavoidable in this case.
Could you please tell me a bit more about these terms like "governor", "GOV TX", and "arm the ESC"?

Note that before the original turnigy FBL100 motherboard is cut off from the dual ESC, I just need to plug in the battery and the mother board would bind to the Turnigy TX and the motor will spin when I push the throttle. This probably means the ESC is already properly flashed, right?

I checked the resistor signal taps and there seems to be some clear glue or something covering part of it. Do I need some tool to remove that before soldering?
Here is a good write up on the BLHeli code and what everything means,
https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...38&postcount=1

As to the question in your second paragraph, I suppose the ESC is flashed properly. Hard to say without hooking it up to the BLHeli software and checking the settings. My question back to you is are you using a Turnigy TX on your mCPX?

Finally, you can remove some of the conformal coating by heating it with a soldering iron to soften it then scrape it away with the tip of an Exacto knife or micro screwdriver. A hot air rework station or heat gun will also work to soften the coating.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Here is a good write up on the BLHeli code and what everything means,
https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...38&postcount=1

As to the question in your second paragraph, I suppose the ESC is flashed properly. Hard to say without hooking it up to the BLHeli software and checking the settings. My question back to you is are you using a Turnigy TX on your mCPX?

Finally, you can remove some of the conformal coating by heating it with a soldering iron to soften it then scrape it away with the tip of an Exacto knife or micro screwdriver. A hot air rework station or heat gun will also work to soften the coating.
Thank you for your generous help!
I am using DX6i for the mcpx v1 board. I don't think the turnigy TX would work.
I bound the DX6i to this V1 board, plugged in two batteries separately to the V1 board and to the ESC, and then used one hand to put the ESC's tail signal wire onto the v1 board's resistor tap, used the other hand to push the throttle in the TX. Nothing happens. I only connected the tail motor, not the main motor. Maybe I should connect both?

Anyway, I will try to install the BLHeli software, plug in the flash stick and check the settings.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thank you for your generous help!
I am using DX6i for the mcpx v1 board. I don't think the turnigy TX would work.
I bound the DX6i to this V1 board, plugged in two batteries separately to the V1 board and to the ESC, and then used one hand to put the ESC's tail signal wire onto the v1 board's resistor tap, used the other hand to push the throttle in the TX. Nothing happens. I only connected the tail motor, not the main motor. Maybe I should connect both?

Anyway, I will try to install the BLHeli software, plug in the flash stick and check the settings.
I think you biggest problem is using two batteries. There is no common ground between the board and the ESC
Old 04-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I think you biggest problem is using two batteries. There is no common ground between the board and the ESC
Got it! That makes most sense. I will try to do some soldering and use one battery and see how it goes.

Regarding the signal wires, has anyone made it work by directly plugging the pin into the brushed motor power socket? I am not confident that I can do a good job soldering the wire onto the resistor tap.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi NCcraig,
Do you know anyone who succeeded by soldering the wire onto the back of the motor power sockets? Do you know of the two, which one is positive and which is negative?

Thanks,
Zehua
Old 04-02-2015, 11:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi NCcraig,
Do you know of the two, which one is positive and which is negative?

Thanks,
Zehua
I know for sure that the positive pin is the inner most one on the main motor plug. Not quite sure about the tail motor plug and I don't have a 3-n-1 I can look at. It's been a while since I have had one laying around on my bench.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I know for sure that the positive pin is the inner most one on the main motor plug. Not quite sure about the tail motor plug and I don't have a 3-n-1 I can look at. It's been a while since I have had one laying around on my bench.
Thank you!
Old 04-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can look at the plugs on the board, the side with the green stripe is the negative side, so seen from above (-) is on the right, (+) on the left.

FWIW it´s also easier to solder the signal wire to the original main/tail motor plugs, at least for testing.

GL
Dr
Old 04-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr dremel View Post
You can look at the plugs on the board, the side with the green stripe is the negative side, so seen from above (-) is on the right, (+) on the left.

FWIW it´s also easier to solder the signal wire to the original main/tail motor plugs, at least for testing.

GL
Dr
Thank you!
I see you replied in the other thread for a person with similar ESC as mine.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=668524

So it sounds like if the dual ESC is in governor mode, soldering the signal wires onto the power sockets won't really work?
Is there a way to configure the ESC to be in throttle mode?
Old 04-06-2015, 04:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

IDK if the esc even has a dedicated gov mode, I never experimented with gov on mine (I´ve a standalone 10A main esc). So I can´t be sure, but if you´re just running a flat curve (like me) or gov it should make no difference where the esc gets its signal from.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi NCcraig,
I finally had time to install the BLHeli software on this board, and I flashed the dual esc with the latest firmware. It auto converted the existing params from 12.1 version to 13.1 version. Can you please help me take a look and see if they are properly configured?

One more question, since the dual esc can be properly read from the BLHeli software, can I safely assume that it is still in good condition and it should work properly when I solder it?

Lastly, what does governor mode TX mean for the main motor setup here? Does it mean that I will be using the TX to program the throttle curve? dr dremel said if I solder the main motor signal wire to the power socket for V1 board, I can get at most 60% throttle if I use governor mode. How about soldering directly to the resistor tap? Any difference?

Thanks!
Muscleman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	main.png
Views:	252
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	579867   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail.png
Views:	274
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	579868  
Old 04-12-2015, 10:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Regarding the setting: "Governor mode: TX", I found a video here:
ESC Heli Governor Mode Setup Tutorial (18 min 14 sec)

So it means I should use my TX to set the throttle curve to something like 70
% flat, for both 3D idle switch on and off?
Old 04-12-2015, 01:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So it means I should use my TX to set the throttle curve to something like 70
% flat, for both 3D idle switch on and off?
Set your normal to 65% flat, IU1 to 70% and IU2 (if you have it) to 75% flat. That will allow you to have different head speeds for each mode. You need to run flat throttle curves in all flight modes with a BLHeli flashed ESC set to "TX GOV".

As far as your BLHeli settings. The default settings for the tail motor are fine. I would bump the I and P gains on the main motor to 2.0.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Set your normal to 65% flat, IU1 to 70% and IU2 (if you have it) to 75% flat. That will allow you to have different head speeds for each mode. You need to run flat throttle curves in all flight modes with a BLHeli flashed ESC set to "TX GOV".

As far as your BLHeli settings. The default settings for the tail motor are fine. I would bump the I and P gains on the main motor to 2.0.
Thank you!
The other member dr dremel says that MCPX V1 board can have at most 60% throttle. Is that true? Should I set normal to 50% flat and IU1 to 60% then?
Old 04-14-2015, 01:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thank you!
The other member dr dremel says that MCPX V1 board can have at most 60% throttle. Is that true? Should I set normal to 50% flat and IU1 to 60% then?
I ran my personal converted mCPX with a HP06V2 motor at 85% in IU2. I flew it in that flight mode most of the time and it had great power. I don't know where those low numbers are coming from unless you want to dumb the motor down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in