Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JLog - The JIVE logging stamp

JLog - The JIVE logging stamp JLog - The JIVE logging stamp - Official English Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Kosmik/JLog2.6/Jeti REX7

I haven't any troubles with combination of Kosmik/JLog2.6/JetiR9 so far.
Today I switched to RX REX7 and can't see telemetry data from ESC
Green LED (data) is fast blinking on JLog. Cables, connection etc. is exactly same as before. JLog connected to EXT port.
What can be wrong ?
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question is: what is connected to port 5 and/or 6? Do you run one of these ports as "EX Bus"? Is there a device connected which acts also as sensor via EX bus? e.g. FBL "Spirit".

"EX Bus" has nothing to do with "EX telemetry"! EX bus is something like Futaba s.bus2, bidirectional (servo channel data ->, <- sensor data), completely different protocol and speed, 12.5 to 25x faster than EX telemetry (125/250kBd, whereas EX telemetry is 9k6, no more 9 bits etc).

For telemetry a REX receiver also only have a single "Ext." connector.

Btw: EX bus is no bus, it is a point-2-point terminal connection as the classic telemetry is.

Because JETI did not manage it until today to build an "Expander" which is capable to sufficiently handle binary EX messages from sensors behind him -- I'm afraid that the necessary Rx-internal multiplexing of sensor data coming from an EX bus sensor on one hand and from a much slower classic EX sensor via "Ext." on the other hand (all current JETI as well as 3rd party sensors) is a "dumb" one as that of the classic E2 or E4 EX expander. If now an EX bus speaking FBL (as the "Spirit") is connected to E1 or E2 then slow data from a sensor on "Ext." will not get the line for a sufficient amount of time, especially if the multiplexing is insensitively handling the different binary EX messages. That is (still) the problem of the EX expander, that seems to be the problem with the Rx-internal expander of a REX receiver. Wonder how an "EX Bus Expander" will do if he someday will be available from JETI..

We just bought a REX-6. I hope to find some time tomorrow for examination by the logic analyzer.

To summarize the findings until now: presumably a design flaw. I guess that it would help to feed the FBL with PPM than EX bus channel data because there is no sensor data.

-----------
Btw I will be off until Jun 8 from Friday on. I go sailing as every year.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Question is: what is connected to port 5 and/or 6? Do you run one of these ports as "EX Bus"? Is there a device connected which acts also as sensor via EX bus? e.g. FBL "Spirit".

Yes, exactly.
In EXT port is JLog connected. Port E1 configured as EX-Bus and Spirit FBL there. That means, bi-directional communication and one sensor ( vibrations ) as well.

I did some testing with Jive/JLog2/REX7 setup yesterday. Same problem.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It seems to be more trivial than initially thought but I do not have the time today to find it and a workaround before I leave for sailing:

All 3 ports (Ext, Y5/E1, Y6/E6) can be configured as "JETIbox EX", so 3 sensor inputs with an internal multiplexer (expander).

My current theory is: They have "heard" me, the internal expander does not do that dumb round robin of the external expander than the (necessary) intelligent multiplexing on base of EX message IDs.

A JETI MEZON works on the REX-6 here but messages from JLog (regardless which hardware/firmware version) are recognized very rarely.

Now the question is: why? What/where is the difference to JLog?

Well.., there is one: although the (public) protocol description does not name it: I know that ALL JETI sensors are encrypting the EX payload, so the MEZON does. I know that because I (JLog) have to decrypt MEZON's messages. The MEZON is one of the currently 7 ESCs supported by JLog.

I'll figure it out, but not before 8 of June when I'm back.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default REX/telemetry

I am running a Spirit FBL/REX12/Mezon 130 and have no problems getting telemetry data in and EX Bus out. Have't put the Jlog to effect on Rex yet but will do so soon to verify.
James/Esprit Model
helijames is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep. JETI's sensors work on the Ext port. I have to find out why 3rd party sensors as JLog do not do respectively are only rarely recognized by a REX. My current assumption is: because the multiplexing (internal expander) needs to know the EX message IDs but expects encrypted messages. All sensors manufactured by JETI encrypt EX messages although the protocol description, renewed years ago, mentions clear text only.

Yep, the Spirit as an EX bus sensor seems to work.

My thinking is: JETI, it's the wrong way to disregard own protocol definition, change something or introduce new interfaces/protocols without any notice. Who needs whom? This is not one-way as you might think. Your products need 3rd party for a better standing in the market.
For 5 years already I have to deal with the "intelligence" and "quality" of products from others because our product JLog sits at the crossroads of data traffic (7 types of ESC and 8 telemetry systems currently). Honestly, sometimes I desire to stop, to not let them continue to push me around by that.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

fixed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in