Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Heli-Max Helicopters

Heli-Max Helicopters Heli-Max Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #101 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

They had white and purple. Decided on white, I got purple in the first place since my girlfriend liked it more. So I figured any reason to keep her happier around my hobbies a good one.

I really like the stock canopy, its a groovey looking heli! I want to find a black canopy
RaymondJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 09:54 PM   #102 (permalink)
Registered Users

at least your girl friend likes em. ha ha.
my wife well... umm...no.

black would look sweet!!! worst case you could always use the "Krylon Touch"
spray paint.

I actually thought about going back to stock. but then i figure the money i would use to do that i could invest in my bigger one. descisions, descisions.

how is the honey bee going for ya. better i hope.
BS-AV8TOR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #103 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its definitely better. I've had a couple crashes today due to my swash plate coming apart, but I have a new one coming.

I got rid of my metal rotor head and that solved alot of problems since the plastic one doesn't bend all out to lunch everytime you tip over. I still have a bit of a nodding issue, but I flew it a while ago in a little breeze and actually kept it controlled. It was nice. Last week I was just so fed up I wanted to burn it.

I'm happy, especially since I got the super skids for it. It looks so nice now, I want it to behave lol
Old 05-28-2009, 06:23 AM   #104 (permalink)
Registered Users

sounds good. you should post a pic or two of the bee with the new skids.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:04 AM   #105 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like them, they're so burly looking. But best of all, you can beat the hell out of them and they dont break. I think they're a little wider than the stock skids too so that helps a noob out.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #106 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice!!!! your bee looks good.

Had a great afternoon. despite the wind outside. i flew my blade with more confidence. and then took my little heli into work and my boss was cool with it and then told me he has a brother inlaw that has one with a turbine. i was like damn.

well got two hot batteries waiting to go. cya
Old 05-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #107 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a hot dead battery, but another fresh one waiting to rip. Just figured I would clean a little, and of course sit on the computer for a bit and drink a beer inbetween runs haha.

Thanks for the comment, I'm definitely happy now that things are coming together and I figured out how to set it up... I wanted to fly outside, but it was too windy. So I was practicing hovering in my parents garage and things are looking good! I was practicing some accurate landing. Gotta start working on nose in hovering too. But I want to do that outside where I have tons of room for mistakes.

I was just flying my cx. Have any of you come across better heat sinks? I haven't searched too hard, but I imagine there should be a ton that would fit these motors. I want o try something that sheds heat a bit better.
I've noticed it loses a bit of its peppiness once the motors heat up. So at work if I hit the heat sinks with an air hose it obviously cools the motor right down and its got that quick juice again until they heat up.

I wouldn't mind experimenting with that.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #108 (permalink)

tonight i flew my blade cp and i actually got it dialed in and was hovering it around pretty good i crashed a few times but it was definately my fault but didn't seem to bad but once i got it about ten feet high then tried to bring it down and landed wrong and had a nasty wreck but everything was fine

my buddy just got a new blade cp pro off ebay he is new but like me has flown co-ax copters and he broke his in the first couple minutes stupid that it didn't hold up

after i wasted my battery i tried flying my axe again and it was so different not very responsive at all but nice to fly inside and easy to manuver for now
pouleman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 10:55 PM   #109 (permalink)
Registered Users

Once you extend the center shaft, bring the fly bar weights in and set the swash plate linkages to the outer holes on the servo horns it wakes up! I have a hard time flying mine after the honey bee since my axe is lighting quick on a fresh battery, maneuver wise.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:49 AM   #110 (permalink)

yeah i have tried making a extended shaft but it vibrated way to much but i recently broke the shaft and bought a new one so i will experiment with the old one and as for the weights i have yet to try moving them yet but for what the little helicopter is i can't complain
Old 05-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #111 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Axe CX weak power

I've had my Axe CX for a couple weeks now, and I've gotten pretty frustrated with it - it's a neat little bird, but I haven't been able to keep it in the air long enough to trim it out properly.

I broke a handful of blades learning to fly - that's to be expected, but the battery went south three days after I bought the heli. New battery now and fiddling around with the motors and rotors seems to have made it fairly stable but it still has issues; it twitches clockwise occasionally, but not as much since I cranked the gyro gain back a bit. I don't think it's really a gyro gain issue because it only happens in a clockwise direction. I understand that with the gain too high it will tend to "hunt" back and forth as the gyro over-corrects.

My main problem now is that it doesn't have enough power to climb. When I first power it up, it climbs out reasonably well, but within 10-20 secs of being in the air, it starts descending slowly even at full throttle. If I set it down and kill the throttle for a few seconds, I can lift off again, but it just fades again by the time I get it stabilized. I've tried a couple batteries and I've switched out both motors - I'm not sure what else to do at this point.

I could put more powerful motors in it, I suppose, but it really should be able to fly with the stock motors, IMHO.

Anybody have any ideas for me? I'm half inclined just to ditch the bloody thing and fly my Novus CX only. I *love* my Novus BTW, but it's grounded now waiting for parts because I flew it into a table... *sigh*
EnjoyPA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 02:27 AM   #112 (permalink)
Registered Users

EnjoayPA,

You gotta play around with the two pods in the 3in1 unit. I know one of them is they gyro gain and the other one is the rudder mix.
I have two Axe CX Micros and one of them has always been very twitchy. I named it black sheep and painted it black. I think there's a picture of it in the first or seconde page on this thread.

Anyhow one day I removed the canopy and began making small adjustments to get rid of the twitching and I threw off the gain so much that the motors spun out of sync it seemed.
It also had no power. I kept adjusting the gain pod until it got 80% better and you know it because all of a sudden the motors sound smooth and it has lots of power, but the additional 20% was a combination of tweaking both pods and listening in for the sound on the motors.

Be patient and give it a go.
enderello is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 02:29 AM   #113 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can also try isolating each motor by unplugging the other motor. Rev it up full throttle and compare how they sound and perform.

If they make a horrible sounding grinding noise keep adjusting the gain pod.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:44 AM   #114 (permalink)

an easier way to test each motor seperately is to turn one way and slowly increase throttle and then turn the other way and slowly increase throttle

flew my blade cp tonight landed kinda hard and now the rear tail motor doesn't spin not sure if it is out or not i noticed the pinion gear on the motor slides in and out now but when i push it in it doesn't spin but oh well i will check it out tomorrow
Old 05-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #115 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderello View Post
EnjoayPA,

You gotta play around with the two pods in the 3in1 unit. I know one of them is they gyro gain and the other one is the rudder mix.
I have two Axe CX Micros and one of them has always been very twitchy. I named it black sheep and painted it black. I think there's a picture of it in the first or seconde page on this thread.

Anyhow one day I removed the canopy and began making small adjustments to get rid of the twitching and I threw off the gain so much that the motors spun out of sync it seemed.
It also had no power. I kept adjusting the gain pod until it got 80% better and you know it because all of a sudden the motors sound smooth and it has lots of power, but the additional 20% was a combination of tweaking both pods and listening in for the sound on the motors.

Be patient and give it a go.
O.K. I guess I'll fiddle with the pots some more. I'll post back with my result later.

- EnjoyPA
Old 05-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #116 (permalink)
Registered Users

just be patient. Don't expect positive results in 5 minutes. Also remember that most likely
You will throw out the adjustments far out before you bring it in. Also make small increment adjusments only and keep track.
The pods are in a loop like a clock if you keep turning it one way it will eventually loop back around.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #117 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also I would go through your shafts and see that they're straight. You might have binding issues eating up a bunch of power.

How tight is your gear mesh?
Old 05-30-2009, 05:00 PM   #118 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic View Post
Also I would go through your shafts and see that they're straight. You might have binding issues eating up a bunch of power.

How tight is your gear mesh?
Well, I tried it with two different sets of shafts, both of which appear straight, as far as I can make out. I also tried different adjustments of the motor positions - I found that the "twitching" problem pretty much went away when I left about a .5mm gap between the end of the pinion teeth and the gear's "valley". The motors don't spin smoothly when turning by hand, but I assumed that was normal because they were like that out of the box and the replacement motors were the same way.

One other thing I noticed was the power seems to come and go randomly - most of the time there's barely enough (or not quite enough, even) power to hover at max throttle, but every now and then the RPM increases slightly for a second or two (the heli climbs a foot or two) and then goes back down.

I haven't got back to fiddling with the pots yet, but that's the next step.

- EnjoyPA
Old 05-30-2009, 08:16 PM   #119 (permalink)
Registered Users

Like the other guys here The twitching i have been able to solve by messing with the pots on the gain and proportional screws. but as for the throttle issue. ???? may wanna give heli max a call.

Definetly do not like using the larger 800mAh battery. it makes the motors to hot. fly time goes down, and throws the balance out so keeping it in the air is a pain. ok enough about the battery, i will sell it for 10 bucks to a friend who has a cx2. ha ha

Had a great flight this afternoon. The Blade 400 is coming alive. or well i am getting braver and keeping it in the air longer. what a rush. man i wish i had a video camera. and oh yes my wife watched and clapped. felt like i was back in highschool trying to show off. ha ha ha. time for a celebration beer.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #120 (permalink)
Registered Users

A beer? Dont lie to your self, you have a case lined up haha.

Yeah, I had some good stuff goin on with my honey bee. But this wind has really got me angry, its calm then all the sudden it picks up. My poor honey bee went bush whackin. Then Straightened everything out, same thing. Calm as hell then the wind picks up and she flies into my dads tool shed, bent main shaft! Got it pretty straight, but it still vibrates, can fly it at least though.

EnjoyPA, I wonder if you have a faulty radio maybe... Because I mean, you've touched the major bits really. Besides a radio issue.

How are the bearings? Can you remove the motors and spin the blades to see if they rotate okay? I know with the motors on is useless since the magnets are so strong it feels tough to move them.

How is the lift trim adjusted on your transmitter? Maybe try putting it all the way up and see if that helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in