Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters > 600 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

600 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 600 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Would this cause a tail wag?

Hey everyone,
So I just rebuilt my 600 after an unfortunate BEC failure, and now there is a slight wag, that just won't go away.
The tail only goes back and forth a few inches, and I have changed the gain all over the map with no effect on it.
I lowered the governor game on the castle ESC to low, and that helped a little but its still there.
Upon close inspection of the tail one grip is a little loose. I can pull the grip straight out away from the hub a little bit.
I bet that this is causing the vibration in the tail, I think the bearing that you put in before the screw to attach the grip to the hub has gone bad on me, I'm going to take it apart and make sure I'm not missing a part.

Do you guys think that this little bit of play is causing my wag? Or should I check other things?
If this is the cause can anyone point me toward the part number for a replacement bearing?

Thanks,
Seb
Spektrum Dx7s
sebsmash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Tail wag

Just cured the same wag with my 600. Had to adjust the transmitter gyro gain down to 50 from 60. No more tail wag. Hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I've dropped the gain a ton and still no change.
I think I'm doing the vbar right. I have it set to control it by tx and I adjust the gain on the transmitter after short hovers and it seems to have minimal effect
Spektrum Dx7s
Old 07-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The tail grips need a little play in them right?
Spektrum Dx7s
Old 07-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

They will have a bit but it should be the same on both sides. Take the main and tail blades off, spin the heli up and feel if you have a ton of vibrations. If one tail blade grip can slide out more than the other that will cause a lot of vibration.

My guesses...
1. Vibration
2. Messed your V-Bar up in the crash. If you've already lowered the gain a lot it's probably not a configuration issue.
Mike A. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just went through and checked through the thrust bearings and found no issues, everything in the tail seems normal, just the right amount of give, and equal on both sides.
I don't imagine any electronics were damaged because the crash just bent the tail boom at 90 degrees and barely effected the main body of the Heli.
I'm going to run through the vbar setup and completely redo the tail since this has to be my problem. I can't find anything mechanically wrong! Makes me scared I'm not noticing something.
Spektrum Dx7s
Old 07-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

tail servo ok? not a too high load needed to move tail blades aka chinese weights?
apper001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebsmash View Post
I'm going to run through the vbar setup and completely redo the tail since this has to be my problem. I can't find anything mechanically wrong! Makes me scared I'm not noticing something.
Have you spun the heli up with the blades to check for increased vibrations? Sounds like a vibration issue to me. If you didn't change settings in your vbar that caused the tail wag then something else is causing it.

I had an issue once with a bad tail grip bearing in my 500. On the ground it moved fine but once in the air and spinning at 8000rpm the tail was binding slightly and causing a big wag.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I too had a wag. Tail was slick as butter. Thought it might be the ICE2HV gov. It was.

When governed, it needs to see 30, 70 or 100 from the transmitter. In my case, the 70 to 100 was too close even after setting the endpoints. There was a bit of a chirp, a fast, inconsistent wag, and the rotor sounded not quite right. I'd flown about 40 flights without the problem, then it suddenly came up. After messing with the tail gain and gov gain, I decided to set the throttle endpoints (I'm lazy and it did work fine out of the box without needing it).

I put her on the ground and put another two points up on my throttle endpoints, and that solved it. Confused me for a month, and I was scared to use idle up, lest the quick load/unload of the gear train cause me to strip a gear.
confusionsays is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So it was switching back and forth between the two headspeeds constantly?
Old 07-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup. I first thought it was wag caused by rudder gain too high, then thought it was the gov gain too high. It went away when I went out of IU. I then noticed the lower headspeed sound when it settled out.
confusionsays is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine did the same thing after I built it last year and the fix was turning down the gain in my beastx.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So today I tried her out again,
I started with the gain on 30 on the tx (90 on vbar) and dropped it down to 15 on tx.
I also raised the head speed and tightened the tail blades which seemed to help.
I'll try dropping the gain a little more on Friday.
The little wag only shows up while hovering,
The second I start forward flight the wag goes away, so I think it must be the gains.
I also reset the endpoints and moved the ball in on the servo horn, which helped.
Spektrum Dx7s
Old 08-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Assuming your Vbar sensor is not bad, 99% of the time a slow tail wag is a result of a mechincal issue. Just because everything is smooth on the bench doesnt mean something isn't binding in flight. Also check your tail control arm for being loose or to tight. The tail control also has a plastic cup that the ball sits in, I've see that cause a slow tail wag from being to tight. I see your in So Cal. I fly in ontario. If you cant figure it out, your welcome to come out and fly with us and I'll give you a hand with it.

Mickey
mickeyjohnston is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in