Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Best idea ever!

Don't have a DX6i yet but as soon as I get one this is the first mod I will be doing. Was thinking about setting it up on a timer triggered by the buzzer but after figuring out the current draw of the circuit to do that, It would be better just running the backlight.

Personally I like the green backlight from the pictures.
CopterGuy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi All,

Sorry as I don't pop in here often. I've switched to scratchbuilding planes now more so because there's a smaller crash pay-out then Heli's...lol. Parts are expensive here and everytime I flew I needed cash standing by in case I crash...lol! With Foam...who worries..

Anyway....great to see so many with the Mod completed! Great job all!
Not sure about trigerring and on/off as I'm no electronics expert...but you would need some kind of trigger circuit to do so. I'm sure our good friend GOOGLE should point to some electronic DIY for such a circuit. If it's small and can be part of the power line (like in the red wire line) it'll shut power to the backlight no probs. But you would need to trigger it on with a press of the roller button for example or external button.
Just my thoughts...but someone with good knowledge on such helps here! I can solder and I know heat damages things...lol!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ordered a green and a blue. One arrived today, Alas I don't know which one it is.
Could I connect the red and black wire to the batteries safely? Can I then see the color?
I'm looking forward to your help.
Thanks,
BR

Last edited by born ready; 04-27-2012 at 12:33 AM..
born ready is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

Forget it.
Says "Green" on label.
Thanks anyway.
BR
Old 04-27-2012, 04:07 AM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nothing to feel embarrassed about...born ready lol! I'm sure alot of us here have done worse! Like forgetting batteries for the Tx after planning for a day of flying, packing the planes safely, all lipo's charged, tools, drinks, sun block, sunglasses, cap, camera, props, snacks.......forgot the Tx Batteries!!!!
Old 04-28-2012, 01:44 AM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fantastic job ...... I will be doing this soon on my DX7SE Transmitter
Kiwi-heli-nut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Great Mod!

Great mod. Followed to the letter. Works wonderfully! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).JPG
Views:	308
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	312200   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	312201  
bobdole is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Kiwi-heli-nut! Best of luck and success on your DX7SE!! Hmm, been meaning to get a new Tx and that DX7s with that SD card is so tempting now!!

Your welcome bobdole! Grats on your new look! Great job and happy the tute helped!

I just realized there's 17'000 odd views!! WOW! This has been around..lol!!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Finally did mine,looks great. Thanks for the tutorial
Duke600 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 01:49 AM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

your welcome sir!
Old 05-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

also did this with the blue about a week ago, easy to do as a rookie, great tutorial
Yamahajrp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

How long does it usually take to get parts from hobby king here in the states from hong kong?
Old 05-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Tmaxx View Post
How long does it usually take to get parts from hobby king here in the states from hong kong?
It took me about 3 weeks to get mine. Some have taken longer and some quicker, but i would think 2 to 4 weeks is the norm.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Alright thanks. Hoping I get it this week being they shipped it out really quick.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Loud Hummm, Please help.........

Well, I installed one of the third party backlights to my DX6i DSMX Tx and man, does it make a loud hum!

Seems to come from the DC/AC converter (black box). I thought once I burried it in the case it wouldn't bother me but it is still pretty loud.

Other that that is looks/works great. The kit came with a switch and I installed it so I can turn it off if it bugs me.

Is this right?

Are they all this loud?

I can't belive that the models that come from the factory with the back light are this loud!

Please help.

Tedolph

Last edited by Tedolph; 05-08-2012 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: typo
Tedolph is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedolph View Post
Well, I installed one of the third party backlights to my DX6i DSMX Tx and man, does it make a loud hum!

Seems to come from the DC/AC converter (black box). I thought once I burried it in the case it wouldn't bother me but it is still pretty loud.

Other that that is looks/works great. The kit came with a switch and I installed it so I can turn it off if it bugs me.

Is this right?

Are they all this loud?

I can't belive that the models that come from the factory with the back light are this loud!

Please help.

Tedolph

I don't think that is right ! I didn't use the little box with mine I used a 470 ohm resistor. I thought it was much easier and took up less space.
I don't know what has caused the hum, but there is something not right.
I hope somebody else can tell you what it may be.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedolph View Post

Is this right?

Are they all this loud?

Please help.

Tedolph

It sounds like you have a ElectroLuminescent backlight instead of an LED backlight. That is why there is a little black box which is the driver circuit to get the DC voltage from the battery up to about 100VAC required for the EL panel. They are very efficient, but do tend to be noisy (mostly electrically), and you can also sometimes hear them hum depending on the circuit. About the only resolution to the audible noise is to try a different driver circuit.

If it doesn't get to warm, you might also trying to put some non-conductive foam around it in the case and see if you can muffle it a little. The hard plastic case of the transmitter might actually be acting as a sounding board, thus making it worse.

The panels from HobbyKing, that are more frequently referenced here, are LED panels. They only have a simple current limiting resistor which sets the power consumption (and brightness) of the backlight.

Sorry, I'm not being super helpful to solve your noise problem, but unfortunately it can be an annoying characteristic of EL panels/backlights
RCNet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys, just popping in to see whats been done and any new happenings! Great to see a few more done.

@Tedolph
As RCNet has mentioned, I believe you installed the ElectroLuminescent type of backlight. The one in the tute and most that have been done here are the simple LED ones from HK. They don't have a switch or black box cept for the power limiting board. The hum would be probably coming from what RCNet has also mentioned and such panels do hum, some louder than others...kinda like the flourescent tubes we have on our ceilings.

Perhaps you could do a quickie search on Google for mods using these panels on the DX6i. These mods were done before the LED panels were used, so I am sure you'll get some info on the situation.

Sorry I can't help much, as I'm no electronics expert, but if that little box doesn't get warm, could you pack it around with some soft sponge to reduce the vibrations that should reduce the hum? Like what we do with Gyro's and Rx's!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCNet View Post
It sounds like you have a ElectroLuminescent backlight instead of an LED backlight. That is why there is a little black box which is the driver circuit to get the DC voltage from the battery up to about 100VAC required for the EL panel. They are very efficient, but do tend to be noisy (mostly electrically), and you can also sometimes hear them hum depending on the circuit. About the only resolution to the audible noise is to try a different driver circuit.

If it doesn't get to warm, you might also trying to put some non-conductive foam around it in the case and see if you can muffle it a little. The hard plastic case of the transmitter might actually be acting as a sounding board, thus making it worse.

The panels from HobbyKing, that are more frequently referenced here, are LED panels. They only have a simple current limiting resistor which sets the power consumption (and brightness) of the backlight.

Sorry, I'm not being super helpful to solve your noise problem, but unfortunately it can be an annoying characteristic of EL panels/backlights
Actually, this helps a lot.

Thanks
Tedolph is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi All,
Well, I hate to be a spoil sport, but, after the mod, I have a display only now and then. The back lite panel stays lit, but the display is intermittent. Display comes on and stays on for a moment if I tap on the bottom of the case.
I have an empty 5 pin socket on the main board. Is that normal?
Thanks,
Also...I applied the two sided tape to the covering of the led panel. Of course the display and all shifted, making the display off center. The obvious solution is to remove the cover and tape directly to the panel. Is there a problem doing that? Most folks say that they don't remove any thing.
I'm looking forward to your help.

BR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in