Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Mite call it a day.

Hi lads, just wondering what you think I should do. I've had the blade for 8 months now and iv Learning to do some 3d stuff lately. Thing is I've pushed the boat out and got myself a trex 600 nitro, haven't tried 3d yet with it, building up the courage I suppose. I was out last night with the 450 a had a bad crash totalling 100 euro at least. Question is do I need the blade anymore our can I put that 100+ euro into a crash kit for the 600? Cash is king on this one! not sure if i still need the 450 to progress in this hobby.any advice would be gratefully thanks lads.
grumpy1977 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

I always keep a 450 around for the new tricks. Is way less $ to fix as oppose to the bigger birds.
BlazinBones is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1977 View Post
Hi lads, just wondering what you think I should do. I've had the blade for 8 months now and iv Learning to do some 3d stuff lately. Thing is I've pushed the boat out and got myself a trex 600 nitro, haven't tried 3d yet with it, building up the courage I suppose. I was out last night with the 450 a had a bad crash totalling 100 euro at least. Question is do I need the blade anymore our can I put that 100+ euro into a crash kit for the 600? Cash is king on this one! not sure if i still need the 450 to progress in this hobby.any advice would be gratefully thanks lads.
600? Nitro? Fair play, knowing what the weather's like I can totally see why.

About your 450.. Totally agree - always room for a smaller bird.

I'd suggest rebuild it FBL maybe. You don't have to get the official blade stuff to make it a 450X, I use a tarot head and a (lol!) v-bar, but there's a lot of the lads here use the Tarot zyx and it seems to have a pretty good rep - not to mention lots of help here to help set you going in the right direction.

FBL generally will be more stable than it flybarred and easier to fix, less time consuming (no mucking with fybarred head). Won't be as stable as a well tuned 600 flybarred or not, but it will be better than a flybarred 450 for sure.

I dunno now where you'd get a tarot head in the EU, but you could try my Tarot helicrack dealer, Benny at www.hawk-rc.com in Hong Kong, I think they'd deliver to Ireland - it's the import tax then that'll be an issue but talk to your man about it and customs declarations - the bits aren't too costly in any case.

You'll then be open now to more blades ie SABs, Edges w/e, without shimming issues and a more stable 450, that'll hopefully fly like it's a bit bigger.

Just my 2 (Euro) cents

edit: One other thing you could consider if you don't have one already is just getting an mCP X and extending the boom and leaving the 450 be for the while, she'll crash better and save you a bit on repairs, and you'll be able to fly her in the barn when it rains or is too windy - I try to bring at least one mcpx back with me whenever I go back to visit. Anything larger is too much hassle usually.

Last edited by spykez; 07-20-2012 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: see above
spykez is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i agree with Spykez. I just converted my 450 to FBL with the Tarot 450 head and Tarot ZYX-01. Maiden today sometime. Mind telling where you got that 600N? Ive always wanted a nitro
gdawgs56 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

You might want to put the 600 on hold for a while. A bad crash on the 600 will put a dent in your wallet.
rstekeur is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstekeur View Post
You might want to put the 600 on hold for a while. A bad crash on the 600 will put a dent in your wallet.
a BIG dent
Old 07-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you want to do 3d it's great to have a smaller bird, seen lots of people with even whole fleets of 500-700 heli's and they just fly circuits cause they had a $400 crash trying 3d on their big bird and got scared off. 450 3d's suck and help to crash themselves they fly tgat bad, you need a FBL 450 like the 450x for 3d you'll crash a lot less.
Sambuka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

or you could convert to fbl, like me, epoweredrc, LawnDartHeli, and many others did. You can choose :
  1. the cheapest way: copterx fbl unit and tarot head (around $70)
  2. the middle way: Tarot ZYX and tarot head (around $100)
  3. the expensive ways: Blade 450 FBLhead, AR7200BX/beastx/mini beast/mini vbar/vbar/skookum. ($200-300)
Old 07-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly my 450 quite a bit still. I keep it in a metal case and take it on road trips with me. As the others have mentioned there is a lot less stress trying something new on the 450 rather than my $1500 700 that costs several hundred bucks everytime it makes contact with the ground.
Align 700N LE BeastX
Avidflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanks for the replys lads, yep it looks like ill be going down the fbl route.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

By the way, is it just the two things I have to get to upgrade to fbl? Unit and head? Will the swash, servos and links be ok to use when I upgrade? Thanks
Old 07-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you totaled your 450 3d your probably better off getting a whole 450x blade Heli from Ampdraw.com US$400 + shipping.

You'll need fbl head, fbl unit and fbl blades to upgrade to FBL. The 450x comes with a Efilte 440 motor plug and play so you could do that too then you'll own a 450x. See if it's worth it or to buy a 450x new pre setup.
Sambuka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambuka View Post
If you totaled your 450 3d your probably better off getting a whole 450x blade Heli ....
There's that to be said... What's not busted? Factor in time costs... The lads out in Ennis I'm sure you've seen have the 450x for just over 400 euro.

The big potential problem is of course import duty if you buy anything from outside the EU. But that declaration can be umm.. discussed with the vendor.

You need:

1. head about US30-40 bucks Tarot, this is the one I have. More different heads on this site.

2. FBL - your choice. US$70++ Tarot's are like this.

3. Depending if your FBL takes a satellite or can use your 6115e, the appropriate bits (ie spekky DSMX sat or cabling).

4. Almost certainly a servo extension cable to get the FBL unit talking to the elevator servo. Couple of euro. LHS

5. Align/Tarot balls to swap out from your swash so they fit the Tarot FBL head linkages. Sort of like these. Again not much in cost.

6. Servos if you killed yours and other bits damaged.

Honestly the lads in Ennis (or Fastlad) will probably have items 3 onwards, but Tarot head/FBL units, in the EU, I dunno. I used Hawk-Rc links here for the Tarot kit because your man Benny there's been pretty reliable.

spykez is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in