Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default shelled screw

last time I went to the field I had a bad tail wag so I checked all the heli to find the problem ( I didn't solve it yet ). I was disassembling the frame when I broken one screw with 1.5mm screwdriver! the screw is one of the two of the plastic bearing block of the main shaft.

now since I can't remove the screw with the screwdriver should I cut and broke the plastic bearing block and remove the screws or what? the left and right frame plate are blocked by the bearing block because I shelled one screw from the left side and another on the right side.

I hope I was clear.

Andrea
andrea_farins is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you mean the heads have sheared (I think that's what you mean) off the screws, or the hexagon sockets in the screw heads are worn so that the hex driver won't turn them?

If the heads are sheared off, you can still remove the bearing block by unfastening the remaining good screws and springing the side frames out to release the block. Then you might have enough broken screw visible that you can grip it with pliers to unfasten it.

If the hexagon sockets are worn, just cut a slot across the screw head with a disc on a Dremel, and then use a normal flat blade screwdriver to unscrew them.
Abenn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenn View Post
Do you mean the heads have sheared (I think that's what you mean) off the screws, or the hexagon sockets in the screw heads are worn so that the hex driver won't turn them?

If the heads are sheared off, you can still remove the bearing block by unfastening the remaining good screws and springing the side frames out to release the block. Then you might have enough broken screw visible that you can grip it with pliers to unfasten it.

If the hexagon sockets are worn, just cut a slot across the screw head with a disc on a Dremel, and then use a normal flat blade screwdriver to unscrew them.
the second! infact when I turn the driver the screw won't turn. I don't have a dremel so I'm not able to so I can't cut it and remove it with flat screwdriver! I was planning to try the fusuno g10 frame but it's share to trash these new carbon fiber frame plates just for two screws.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Honestly, go get a dremel. It is so incredibly useful for so many things that you will quickly wonder how you got by without one. And when you factor the cost of a dremel against the cost of new frame halves, it's not that much extra.
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2016, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

seriously, you don't need totrash the frame. I've always told everyone. all you need is a small pair of vice grips. clamp on tight to the bolt head and turn. pretty easy. works 9 times out of ten for everyone I know.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the loctite is giving you a hard time, heat the bolt with a soldering iron to make it to give in.

Not flying anything - model or full - since 2017!
ARM_Coder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2016, 01:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get a dremel and a good set of hex wrenches. MIP or equivalent. Cheap hex wrenches strip screws easy.
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea_farins View Post
. . . when I turn the driver the screw won't turn. I don't have a dremel so I'm not able to so I can't cut it and remove it with flat screwdriver! I was planning to try the fusuno g10 frame but it's share to trash these new carbon fiber frame plates just for two screws.
If you don't have a Dremel, you can still cut a slot with a hacksaw blade Or, as has been mentioned, grip the head with a pair of pliers to turn it. There should be no loctite on screws that go into plastic, but heating the screw by heating your hex driver and then holding it in the screw head for a short while might help too.

Certainly there's no need to trash a frame just because those screws are difficult. If you think about it, buying a Dremel or similar might be cheaper than buying a new frame (well, maybe not), and you'll certainly find many uses for it later.
Abenn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

You cant cut the plastic bearing block - there is two steel shafts going thru it that the bolts screw into.......

Those 1.5mm screws should be sent to hell - dont use unless you have to - and then dont use threadlock - dont use cheap allens - get a quality set.

And if you have to break these loose on yours or on existing one - touch the bolt head with a solder iron and count to 10 or 15 before you try to break it even the first time - sometimes you only get one chance...

If all else fail - then its dremel city - I find trying to grasp the head with lock pliers works only 1/4 of the time - unless you dremel two flats onto the head......

-
Old 01-11-2016, 03:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok guys thanks all for the reply.

I'm using a set of HUDY screwdriver, I bought it few years ago and I think it's a good set and the tip is in good condition so I don't think it's the screwdriver, maybe a bit too much locker on this two screws.

I already tried with the heat gun without success so I will try with the soldering iron (280°C can be fine?) and see what will happen.

if the solderinf iron won't help me it will be time to buy a new dremel. Can you recommended one?
Old 01-11-2016, 04:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have an 8220, which costs about $85-90. It's cordless, and plenty powerful.
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2016, 05:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
I have an 8220, which costs about $85-90. It's cordless, and plenty powerful.
I'll take a look Gladius
Old 01-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought a cheap single speed one in a pawn shop for $20......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in